Laptops forum

Question

Multimedia consumption specs

by eelj1974 / January 16, 2013 12:45 PM PST

So I'm looking at replacing my HP Entertainment laptop. But I'm not sure as to what specs I should be looking for or if certain brands are better in this department.
So here is what the laptop will be used for:
Streaming movies, TV shows and sports (some in HD) often connected to my HDTV but not necessary
Photo editing (amateur, but lots of it) - this is sort of a driving force in the new machine
standard emailing and internet searches, but often with multiple windows/tabs open
playing music
creating documents (word and others)

perhaps some minor webpage management for selling photos

Any suggestions on specs or brands that would be best? Some have told me that I need an Apple? Is that true? I don't mind going that route if it is the best option.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multimedia consumption specs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multimedia consumption specs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's now a low spec to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:17 PM PST

Example? My old Lenova y530 with its 4GB RAM, 4500MHD, core 2 duo can hook up and play HD over HDMI just dandy. You would be hard pressed to find slower and less capable machines unless you went below 300 USD.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
More important with streaming
by orlbuckeye / January 16, 2013 8:35 PM PST

is your internet connection. I have an Acer 8950G that I use to connect to my Hi Def TV. I added a SSD, a better wireless card and now 16 Gb of ram. I've noticed that some of the Ultrabooks have 1920 x 1080 resolution but I've only found 1 laptop under 17" with 1920 x 1080 and that is an ASUS for under 1000. Acer's only true HiDef laptop is their ultrabook and even their 17" are 1600 x 900 max. I bought a windows 8 Acer laptop on black friday for 519 with touchscreen and backlit keyboard. It has a HDMI port and I've watched videos on my TV with it connected by HDMI. I wish it was higher resolution as it's only 1366 x 768. I got it to learn Windows 8 and didn't want to get RT.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.