Peripherals forum

General discussion

Multifunction inkjet Printer Help

by majax79 / September 29, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

I need a printer (inkjet) that can scan and copy as well. I will never use the fax so I have no need for that.

I will rarely use it to print photos but will use it alot for printing web pages, text and graphics homework. I def want a good scanner on it because that is something I will use quite a bit. I have limited space for this multifunction printer.

I can't decide between HP and Canon. I have never been dissatisfied with Canon's printers so I'm leaning more towards them. However, I'm confused by the style of their current multifunction printers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multifunction inkjet Printer Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multifunction inkjet Printer Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into
by Willy / September 29, 2007 8:09 PM PDT

Why not goto a office center and try out some m/f printers. That way you get a feel for what they're about. Try other brands as well, even consider a laser output one as cost can be reasonable. Don't fall for the too cheap models because if you plan to use them alot, higher price should overall deliver the goods more stability. The "consumables" may decide it for you for replacement ink/toner for the life of the printer.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Response
by majax79 / September 29, 2007 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Look into

I have played with the Canon MP860 AND MP600. I like both. MP830 has fax capabilities which I don't need of course.

I will def NOT buy a Epson printer.

I know that HP makes crap computers but I have heard good things about their printers so it's really a tossup I suppose. I could look at the specs all day long and still probably be clueless.

Collapse -
My recommendation
by grandforker / October 1, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

Your needs in a multifunction printer sound a great deal like mine. After doing quite of bit of research and looking around, I settled on the HP Photosmart C6280 ($200 from Best Buy).

This was a bit of a gamble because it's one of a new line of HP printers that hasn't been on the market long. But I've had mine a week and I love it. I hooked it up to my wireless network where it serves two wired PCs running XP, a wireless PC running XP and a laptop running Vista.

The C6280 comes with duplex (two-sided) printing standard and HP's Smart Web printing feature which I've found very useful. I'm into digital photography and very impressed with the photo-quality printing.

Collapse -
by majax79 / October 1, 2007 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: My recommendation

Thanks so much for the first-hand account.

I am looking at the HPs as well as the Canons still. Epson has great sleek designs on their printers though. I wish HP and Canon would stop using that dull color and switch to all glossy colors.

Collapse -
Glossy it is!
by grandforker / October 1, 2007 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

The HP C6280 is an unexciting beige color, but the top cover and front face have a glossy sheen with nice silver accents. It's the most attractive printer I've ever owned.

I see that C/net didn't give the C6280 a very good review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devices/hp-photosmart-c6280-all/4505-3181_7-32597792.html?tag=pdtl-list

I've noticed that the user reviews of HP printers generally seem better than the professional reviews, which often lean toward Canon. C/Net knocks the C6280 for not having a PictBridge port. That doesn't matter to me because I don't have any PictBridge devices. However, it does matter to me that most Canons don't have ethernet or wireless networking, which is why I wouldn't even consider the Canons in my price range.

I also have found the duplex printing ability and Smart Web printer very valuable features in my daily use while C/net doesn't seem to think they matter much. I looked at more expensive all-in-ones with many features that I knew I would never or seldom use. So it all comes down to which features are most important to you.

Collapse -
by majax79 / October 2, 2007 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Glossy it is!

I've been looking at canon and Hp and I can't make up my mind. Anyone know the difference in ink tanks? Is one more efficient than the other? Does one have a better print quality than the other?

I have a canon digital camera and a canon photoprinting machine (the carrying case one). So, being a picture powerhouse def isn't a requirement. I will however occassionaly print pics from w/e multifunction printer I buy. Pics in the way of friends myspace pics or that sort of style of pics.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.