Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Multi Boot solution for Windows 7/Windows XP

by sajjanymail / April 10, 2012 3:13 AM PDT

My this message is related to myself more than this software Sir. I need to know something. I have Windows 7 installed on C:/F:. I have my data installed on D:. Now I have installed Windows Xp Prof Sp3 on E:. After installing Xp my Windows 7 Can not be accessed.

Where do I find step by step help to access both versions. Being no expert I would beg to you to suggest me a user friendly solution or any related site Sirs.

Please help me Sirs.

sajjanymail has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multi Boot solution for Windows 7/Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multi Boot solution for Windows 7/Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sajjanymail

Collapse -
The install order was incorrect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Multi Boot solution for Windows 7/Windows XP
by sajjanymail / April 10, 2012 1:04 PM PDT
R. Proffitt Sir,

I am extremely sorry Sir, that I did not care to read http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista+or+7 .

I beg to state that I am below average about computer technology also I was unaware of this until you told me Sir.

I shall start working as you suggested.

I have no words to thank you for explaining this so nicely. I also thank you to have stayed calm and cool while taking care of novices like me Sir.

Best of luck Sir
Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2012 2:17 PM PDT

I didn't create this mess. Many will try to install another OS and wonder what happened so folk here in the forums try to find ways to recover without much loss.

Not you that created this issue. It seems to me MSFT could have added more code to warn folk about what it would do?
Bob

Collapse -
The install order was incorrect.
by sajjansinghania / April 12, 2012 12:36 PM PDT

R. Proffitt Sir,

Sir, I again unconditionally accept that I am novice on computer management, therefore persons like me not only do not know how to do things, they also fail to explain problems clearly, so that brilliant persons like you can take proper care of persons like me and suggest exact solutions.

Before I landed up on this site, I have run from pillar to post to find solution. Perhaps not explaining clearly what was my need was, everywhere i came across similar solutions like some or other kind of 'BCD' software. I had downloaded a few including EasyBCD and installed them. As I said I am not expert, those "BCD' software suggested went above my head and I could not gather enough courage to follow instructions therein. I realized I had to do some homework first to save my data and without any clue, I first of all redesigned my hard disk. I transferred my large data (about 400 GB) from C: to D:. Then re sized four partitions as below :

C: 100 mb
D: Large Data Drive
E: Created 20 gb to install Windows Xp
F: Created 25 gb to space to install Windows 7

While looking for better solutions, I tried EasyBCD. I landed up to install both Windows 7 as well Windows Xp Sp3 all over again. Now I know this was right to do above, before I would try any 'BCD' software.Thank God my data did not vanish. There was no clue still to how could I use both versions.

Then Sir, I landed up here and Thank God. Just before you found me Sir, I was on verge of giving up using both operating systems on my computer. You also did suggest for EasyBCD but this was second. You first showed me mistake by telling that my installation order was incorrect, which no one told before you. It was therefore that I changed order and reinstalled both versions first Xp then 7. I immediately discovered I had nothing more left to do.

I had closed this topic after I had smelled solution suggested by you was perfect and I chose to mark your answer as best one, even without realizing the real worth of the contents of your answer. Sir, it was so simple and sweet which I had no clue until you guided me. I have been using both versions successfully now.

Now after a\over a week, I realized I must thank you for your efforts to care for dumb and novices like us. It is persons like you who care to make our life simpler. People like you are assets to mankind. Your depth of knowledge is showing Sir.

Thank you once again Sir.

Btw, I still need to comment on your "Frankly, Microsoft didn't make this user friendly ?"

I never meant it was Microsoft's fault for it was entirely mine.I have been using computer for many years and had numerous occasions find problems, some related to Windows. I have been trying to search for solutions on Microsoft sites but I can tell you I have never been close to find solutions there one out of thousands of my tries. In fact lesser said is better, I am totally disgusted of their useless and unfriendly solutions. I must cite one funny example out of tons others They posted IE9 update for Xp. I went to that site and found the heading is IE9 yet they offer IE8 download. This I call 'taking users to a nice ride'. I am sure there are millions who will stand behind me on this.

Anyway, bottom line is that for me you were angel from heavens.

Thanks once again Sir.

Collapse -
You're very welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 1:04 PM PDT

Hopefully the next issue won't be like a pinball game (you being the ball!)
Bob

Collapse -
That's useful to know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 7:32 PM PDT

A step by step guide to fix dual boot problems when XP is installed 'after' Vista or Win 7.

I might use that link myself in the future, with thanks to you of course, if I remember where I got it from! Happy

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.