Samsung forum

General discussion

Muffled Sound

by martinjgh / September 6, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

Hi! We've got a Samsung LED (46", 6000 series) - bought about 3 months ago. Been working fine, but yesterday (after taking it off it's wall mount briefly to fix a non-TV related issue) suddenly the sound has gone muffled/muted. It's as if the speakers are wrapped in layers of cotton wool to the point where you can't really make out what anyone is saying. The starting 'chimes' are muffled, and it doesn't matter whether the source is the TV (through sky box) or through the samsung DVD - so I don't think it's anything to do with the input. I've tried switching the sound settings through standard through all the others, but with only minor differences and certainly no solution to the problem.
Anyone got any idea as to what might have happened, and more importantly how I might solve the problem?
Thanks!
Martin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Muffled Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Muffled Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Muffled Sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 6, 2009 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Muffled Sound

martinjgh,

Normally, one of the first things I would normally suggest it is to check to see if all of the inputs are affected. However if the startup chime doesn't seem to be is clear as it used to be, that probably indicates the problem is inside of the television.

I'm not sure what would cause something like this, however what I would suggest is that you call 800-SAMSUNG and explain the problem to the customer service agent. It may be something simple that a technician can fix, however if the problem is more serious than that, we can have a technician repair the unit for you under warranty.

Please keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: muffled sound
by martinjgh / September 6, 2009 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Muffled Sound

Thanks for the 'input' - I must confess my thoughts were the same as yours - i.e. that it is something within the TV itself which has gone kapooie.

I'll phone the customer care line tomorrow and let you know what they suggest/what the solution might be.

Much appreciate your time in responding on a weekend.

Martin

Collapse -
re: muffled sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 6, 2009 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: re: muffled sound

martinjgh,

Happy to help. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: Muffled Sound
by martinjgh / September 6, 2009 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: re: muffled sound

Well, phoned up the support line. They couldn't suggest anything else and so are going to get a service engineer to contact me and see if they can come and fix the problem. Apparently though it will take up to 3 days for them to contact me! Will my kids durvive for 3 days without TV? Obviously, yes, but I am expecting some significant moans.

I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Collapse -
re: Muffled Sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 8, 2009 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: re: Muffled Sound

martinjgh,

Well, I apologize for the significant complaints from your family, but hopefully this will be resolved quickly, and to your satisfaction.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Muffled sound Samsung 6300 terrible investment don't buy it!
by mikey_sd / April 12, 2011 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: re: Muffled Sound

We have the same exact problem with our set. Five weeks of use and very low usage because it's in the bedroom the sound changed while we were watching it and is now muffled. Samsung techs and help line are the worst when it comes to customer service. If you had your TV mounted to the wall don't expect to get any service from the until you can get to the back of the set and read the the serial number. The serial number from the box it came in won't help you either because it's incomplete, like the sound technology and like the customer service. Buyer beware google this topic these are not the only versions of this story you will read. Soundless in San Diego.

Collapse -
any resolution?
by MrsBS2009 / February 1, 2014 7:19 AM PST

My Samsung UN32C4000 has muffled/muted sound on both HDMI DirecTV and HDMI AppleTV. Both worked great as recently as last night but as of 8 am this morning its all muffled and even the on/off chime melody is muted (also worked fine when turned off TV at 11 pm last night)

We're out of warranty so I need to know if this is something tech service can fix and if so how much $$$? We bought the TV at Costco in Jan/Feb 2012. Never done any updates to operating system/software on TV.

Collapse -
Re: any resolution?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 3, 2014 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: any resolution?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.