Desktops

General discussion

MTP device keeps flashing found new hard ware

by 4138168 / March 3, 2007 1:05 AM PST

"found new hardware" balloon came on taskbar, stating a MTP device has been found.I have stopped it flashing, in the "Control panel" [add new hard ware ] it tells me that only one hardware can be loaded at one time, when in actual fact I am not trying to load any hardware. Please can anybody help?
my system is Windows xp pro

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MTP device keeps flashing found new hard ware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MTP device keeps flashing found new hard ware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hardware device
by 4138168 / March 3, 2007 4:16 AM PST

cancel my last thread, problem solved.

Collapse -
hardware devise
by jbrezny63 / October 13, 2011 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: hardware device

How did you resolve this issue I have the same problem.

Collapse -
I got the pop up to stop and also the beeping.
by green eagle feather / March 5, 2007 4:23 AM PST

I went into control panel clicked on task bar and start menue. Next I clicked on no title clicked on hide when inactive and changed to always hide. That go rid of both however in control panel I still can't open add hardware it says that it is currently loading harware when I'm Not.

Collapse -
MTP devices
by 4138168 / March 5, 2007 5:44 AM PST

To solve the problem i disabled the item in question, it would appear that it is the companies who supply the gear for MP3 etc, that are listed.Every thing seems to be working normally

Collapse -
mtp devices
by barneybunkle / March 16, 2007 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: MTP devices

I have the same problem just now, could you tell me how to disable the device-I can't access "add/remove hardware " as it keeps telling me another device is being installed, which it isn't

thanks

Collapse -
mtp devices
by 4138168 / March 16, 2007 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: mtp devices

go to start, right click, select properties,select taskbar,customise, click "show hardware devices",highlight" hide when in active", arrow down,select,

"always hide." This will allow you to use add new hardware, you can then delete the devices

Collapse -
mtp device found
by petergdrury / February 19, 2008 5:43 AM PST

this was a good answer,worked for me . Thanks.

Collapse -
Thank you for the quick fix
by mcpepper111 / January 4, 2013 3:09 PM PST

This worked fine! Thank you for posting Grin

Collapse -
mtp devices
by barneybunkle / March 16, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

Thanks but "show hardware devices" doesn't appear, have looked properly and am sure I'm not missing it

Collapse -
mtp devices
by 4138168 / March 17, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

sorry! should read "remove hardware devices", on my pc it is the 10 item down. H ope this helps, doug

Collapse -
mtp devices
by barneybunkle / March 17, 2007 9:45 PM PDT

Thanks Doug, found "safely add new hardware" and did as you suggested. This allowed me to access "Add new hardware" and could see "MTP device "at top of list with exclamation mark against it but there was no way of deleting it (right click didn't do anything and no "remove" button)so went into "Systems" and was able to delete the MTP device from there. Appreciate your help, Cyndy

Collapse -
mtp devices
by anon2 / June 17, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

I have the same problem, have followed the above steps but I cannot find "safely add new hardware". My computer is a windows XP.

Collapse -
mtp device disable
by Dzamejka / July 17, 2011 8:21 PM PDT

tnx dude, it helped me Happy i went to system and found it there under portable devices and disabled it there... it stopped flashing my fu*king screen! Grin so anoying

Collapse -
MTP popup disabling
by annie2469 / February 5, 2009 5:13 PM PST

Thank you so much for the advice! Have a great day!

Collapse -
(NT) mtp flashing
by rtrip / August 4, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
MTP pop-up
by Karnita50 / October 15, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
Wink Thanks for the info.
Collapse -
Samsung YP-K5 - problem connecting to PC
by Billboard100 / April 28, 2007 9:23 PM PDT

I have a new Samsung YP-K5 MP3 device. It sems great but I have a problem when trying to connect it to my PC and load music tracks. When I make the connection, first there is the pop-up 'Found new Hardware Samsung YP-K5'. Then immediately another pop-up, 'Found new Hardware MTP Device'. Next, a dialogue box opens 'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard' which asks me to insert the CD, etc. Unnecessary as I have already loaded the Samsung software. Anyhow I put the CD in again and proceed with the automatic installation. After 20 seconds or so another dialogue box appears' 'There was a problem...An error occurred during the installation of this software...The required section was not found in the INF..'

As other correspondents have suggested, I have looked in the System section of the Control Panel but can't find a yellow tag by which I could delete the MTP device. As suggested by Samsung's Technical Support Department I have tried switching off the virus protection and it makes no difference so no interference there. Everything is fine on my laptop so Samsung have suggested that it might also be to do with my desktop PC's Windows Operating System which is Home Edition 2002, with Service Pack 2 ......maybe the YP-K5 doesn't work with older versions of Windows, in which case it would have been nice to have known before buying it, but where to now?

Any other owners had this problem?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Collapse -
ME2
by partyboy410 / May 22, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

I have the same problem, but its with the t9 email me if you find out how to fix the problem. Thanks Partyboy410@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Samsung YP-K5 - problem connecting to PC
by Billboard100 / May 27, 2007 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: ME2

Hi and thanks for your response.

This is really aggravating as the the device works with my laptop but not my PC, so I can only assume this is something to do with the Windows OS being an older version, being Home Edition 2002, with Service Pack 2. Perhaps this doesn't happen with later Editions of Windows?

I am in the UK and having contacted Samsung's Tech Support Department they couldn't give me a fix to try, other than try switching off my Norton virus protection - which wasn't ideal and didn't work anyway!

Have you contacted your local Samsung Tech Support Department?

Cheers!

Collapse -
found new hardware
by 4138168 / June 18, 2007 3:23 AM PDT

go to start, right click, select properties, click tab taskbar,click customise,it now should read "remove hardware" click to hide. then you after reload the device you are using

Collapse -
MTP device installing
by schmuck185 / July 27, 2007 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: found new hardware

I've got the problem where my computer is trying to install an MTP device continually. I have stopped the bubble from constantly appearing but cannot access add hardware as it sas that it is still trying to install something.

What is the next step. My operating system is XP home.

Cheers

Collapse -
MTP
by jrok18 / October 2, 2008 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: found new hardware

I called apple the other day bc i had a problem with itunes. Well i followed their each step and when i was done i encounter a new problem. now found new hardware MTP device pops up every second. What is MTP device? How do i fix the problem? I stopped it for a little bit but its back. Thanks

Collapse -
ARGH.
by nehlong / July 6, 2007 12:25 PM PDT

I've been having the same problem, glad to know it's not only me. I've been going crazy! The thing is, it isn't the first time my K5 has gone haywire on me. The last time it went crazy, I have know idea what happened, it just went back to normal and worked again. Maybe I did something or touched something but I truly don't remember, I was so frustrated I was just trying anything. I also have Windows XP service pack 2. The two must not be very compatible. Just yesterday I turned on my laptop and plugged in the USB to transfer some music over to the K5 and the computer wasn't able to identify the device! ARGH. It makes no sense, it's been working so perfectly and all of a sudden. I tried the system restore but the computer refuses to revert back. So I tried to uninstall the device and install once again, but the "new hardware device installer" can't even install the thing. How frustrating.. If anyone finds out how to fix this problem please post or email me at j_moonie@yahoo.com The tech people are truly no help, I've tried and tried to get this fixed but they can't seem to help me.

Collapse -
Sorted
by Ninja_Freak / August 2, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ARGH.

Folks,

I had a similar problem. I borrowed a friends usb hdd to dump some files on. For whatever reason XP didn't recognize it at all. Oddly enough it worked in my laptop no probs so I just used that instead.

I came onto my pc today and had the same constant pop-up that you guys have. Couldn't figure it out and didn't want to simply "hide" it as suggested as the problem will still be there.

I used System Restore and went back a couple of days and everything is fine now..

hope that helps.

NF

Collapse -
mtp device
by hermanei / September 20, 2007 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorted

I had the problem of "mtp device trieing to install new hardware".
I solved it in a minute and everything works fine now..

The formule:
START
CONFIGURATION
SYSTEM
HARDWARE
APPARAATBEHEER ( I am dutch but it is on top)
MTP RIGHTCLICK!!! (shoot like a hunter)
DELETE

...ALL QUIET AND SMOOTH AGAIN.

Mtp may be hard to klick on course the screen goes moving, but if you concentrate and shoot like a hunter you can right-click on it)

herman from groningen netherlands

Collapse -
mtp device new hardware
by hermanei / September 20, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: mtp device

mtp device new hardware ... are the key-words to make my solution traceble. So I send it again. My former message can be canceled, but I don't know how to do that...(amateur..)

I had the problem of mtp device....new hardware.(constantly flickering right-under in my screen).
I solved it in a minute and everything works fine now..

The formule:
START
CONFIGURATION
SYSTEM
HARDWARE
APPARAATBEHEER ( I am dutch but it is on top)
MTP RIGHTCLICK!!! (shoot like a hunter)
DELETE

...ALL QUIET AND SMOOTH AGAIN.

Mtp may be hard to klick on course the screen goes moving, but if you concentrate and shoot like a hunter you can right-click on it)

herman from groningen netherlands

Post 18 of 18 | Back to top

Collapse -
MTP Device
by vlitbpjd / January 2, 2008 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: mtp device

From Montr

Collapse -
Zen Xtra 40 GB will NOT reboot, reinstall Firmware...
by lilocowboy / February 25, 2008 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: MTP Device

I have had this since 2005 and have NEVER had a problem with it other then some of the songs sounding like they were mixed together. I took all of the music off of it and put them back on. Still had the same problem so I figured I would try one more time but only put on a few songs at a time and not all at once. But I never made it that far. I tried to make sure that I had the Firmware and since then I have NOT been able to reinstall the Firmware. I cannot install the MediaSourse Player/Organizer because it cannot connect to the device. But the funny thing is that it shows that it is in the Device manager and the LCD screen on it shows the sync icon.

Processor: 3300+
CPU: 2.00 GHz
RAM: 1.18 GB
not sure what else you would need

All I know is I am GETTING irritated that they have no support for these older MP3 players and they are great when they work. Well at least mine did till a few days ago.

Collapse -
MTP Device Problem
by weesam / April 1, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

hi everybody,

i read the solutions , but this is how it worked for me .
i went to "start" then right click on "my computer" then "properties" then "hardware" tag then "device manager" and from their you can delete or disable the MTP Device.hope this helps

bbye

Collapse -
mtp device problem - hardware found
by acrawley1 / May 16, 2009 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: MTP Device Problem

thanks for that solution . it was driving me crazy . i tried the other remedies on the forum but yours did the trick. andy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.