Computer Help forum

General discussion

by 1999farfer / November 9, 2006 12:37 AM PST

Hello everyone,

I have Windows XP professional. Just installed IE 7 a week ago. Am using Gateway computer. msfeedssync,exe keeps popping up from Spyware Doctor asking me if I want to let it connect to the internet. It is ranked a mdeium risk. First thing I have no idea what this is. I did a searach and it was found in windows. Still I don't know what to do with it. So far, I have been refusing using Block this instance since I don't know what it is.

Can anyone tell me what to do with it and what it is?

I sure would appreciate your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: msfeedssync.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: msfeedssync.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Part Of IE7...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2006 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: msfeedssync.exe

...and it appears to be the RSS Feeds program which will constantly attempt to contact the internet if you have the "Feeds" option going.(Things like stock tickers, etc.) In the upper right, you will probably have the "Feeds" icon in the icon bar. If you don't use the feeds, I believe you can disable it by opening the "Tools" section. On the other hand, if you want feeds to continue, you'll need to allow the program to connect.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
It's Microsoft..
by John.Wilkinson / November 9, 2006 1:18 AM PST

MSFeedsSync is a part of IE7 (located in C:\WINDOWS\System32) and required if you wish to use the Live Feeds option to receive the latest RSS feeds in your browser. If you don't wish to use it you can block the program indefinitely with no ill effects.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
you can disable IE's automatic feeds update
by acaustin / July 2, 2009 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: It's Microsoft..

Go to tools:internet options, then content tab, then click on the "settings" button toward the bottom of the tab, under "feeds and web slices". Uncheck the box next to "autoamtically check feeds and web slices for updates".
I've not gotten any hits on my firewall since making that change, and it doesn't show up in my process list, so I think that should do it.

Collapse -
by 1999farfer / November 9, 2006 1:42 AM PST

thanks to you both for your advice. No matter how hard I looked I could not find a feed icon in upper right corner. So I guess since I don't really need feeds. I just discontinue it.

Thanks for your help, I wasn't sure if it was something that would really foul up my mcahine.

Again thanks,

Collapse -
by 1999farfer / November 9, 2006 1:51 AM PST

I feel so dumb! I just went in Help and found out all about Feeds and did find the icon just where you said it would be. I guess IE7 gets some getting used to. Thanks anyway!!

Collapse -
Easy fix 4 that " msfeedssync.exe" piece of $@#@
by busterbrat / August 19, 2009 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Feds

Took me a lot of time looking for " msfeedssync.exe", because I don't have RSS (or any auto-update)on my P4 XP home ed.
Had a "DOH" moment: the thing is trying to update, updates are off, but..
Went into "Sced Tasks", made sure View Hidden Tasks was clicked (Advanced/ View Hidden Tasks- check-mark) and there it was!
Deleted the task ( msfeedssync.exe) and have not seen the &^%@en thing since.

Collapse -
by kjfly / August 18, 2012 8:02 PM PDT

Thanks busterbrat took care of this in two seconds!!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.