Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

MS Word disappeared from computer

by Howmu / April 23, 2006 9:55 PM PDT

For several years I have been using MS Word to create documents and to type letters. Suddenly as of last night I cannot open MS Word. I get a message which says trying to install it and please put in disc if I click onto any document or any shortcut which involves MS Word. I can't imagine why this program is suddenly gone from my computer like it has been uninstalled (which it hasn't been). Can anyone suggest how I can retrieve this program without reinstalling it.

I use XP Pro SP2 on a 2.15 GH AMD aathlon processor with 512 MB of memory and have an80 G HD with 67 G free space. I scan regularly with Avast AV, Ewido, Spybot and ad-aware and use Registry optimizer and Spyware Blaster.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Word disappeared from computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Word disappeared from computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS word
by tomron / April 23, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

Try Start, Run and type in winword and press OK. Word should start. If it doesn't, check in Control Panel,Add/Remove Programs and see if Microsoft Word (or Microsoft Office) is listed.

You could also try normal.dot click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
Typed in winword
by Howmu / April 23, 2006 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: MS word

and same thing happened. The MS Word window appeared and the Box came up "installing" but could not install as a new box came up and asked for the disc. This is what has been happening with any MSord program I click. The MS Word program does show up in my ADD/remove list. Any other suggestions? It looks like I will have to reinstall from disc. I just don't want to lose my documents. Incidentally when I put in a backup disc from a document I have saved and click, I get the same "trying to install" window.

Collapse -
Reinstalled from disc
by Howmu / April 24, 2006 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Typed in winword

and everything is working well now. I just cannot fathom why MS word seemed to have uninstalled itself. Thanks for your help. Thread closed.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / April 24, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstalled from disc
Collapse -
You probably
by Themisive / April 24, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

Had a virus or worm, they love to attactck programmes like this.

What I do is to put the "Save" file either onto another disk or another folder as remote as possible, as that way your save files do not get corrupted.

The best way is to do as I do, back up ALL irrelaceable data data at least once every week, then the most you can lose is 1 week's worth of data, back up more often if necesary!

By irreplacable data, I mean E-mails, Word files, and abny other files you have, such as game save files)

Collapse -
I do Have backups
by Howmu / April 24, 2006 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: You probably

but they didn't help because my backups wouldn't open as they needed MS Word in which to open. So when I clicked on a backup I just got the window"trying to install MS Word". As soon as I reinstalled MS Word from a disc, the backups and every other document saved in MS Word opened just fine.

Thank you for you interest.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you try normal.dot?
by tomron / April 24, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I do Have backups
Collapse -
When I tried a search
by Howmu / April 24, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

for normal.dot I could not find it on my computer. I did try to access it. It was so easy to reinstall it from disc that I wonder now why I didn't just do it right away I tried system restore also but it did have to finally be reinstalled. I just can't figure out how it disappeared. I regularly scan for virus and malware and my computer is quite clean.

Collapse -
So everythings ok...
by tomron / April 24, 2006 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: When I tried a search

"I wonder now why I didn't just do it right away"

I did suggest in my first post

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.