Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MS Updates messed my comp.

by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 1:33 AM PST

The yellow emblem is in the task bar after I boot. Nothing happens when I click on it. When I try to restart the timer goes on and it seems like the computer is frozen. I have never had problems with updates before but this time the download was very slow yesterday and I never got the message to install. When I went to turn off computer 3 updates were ready to install so I let them install. Now I have this problem. Dan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Updates messed my comp.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Updates messed my comp.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Name the updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2009 1:48 AM PST

Remember that no updates involve drivers unless we opted in. I have always said no to those.

Tell more. The KB123456 numbers so others can check up on those.

Collapse -
right now after ...
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Name the updates.

rebooting the yellow emblem appeared again but this time it seems to be dowloading updates. Right now it seems to be stuck at 7%. Dan

Collapse -
Tell more. The KB123456 numbers so others can check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2009 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: right now after ...

For now all that I can say is to let it do its thing.

Collapse -
this is a few of the
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 2:38 AM PST

latest I got from belarc...

passed verification KB973687 on 11/24/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973815 on 8/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973869 on 8/13/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB973904 on 12/9/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB974112 on 10/14/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB974571 on 10/14/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB975025 on 10/14/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB975467 on 10/14/2009 (details...)
passed verification KB976098-V2 on 11/24/2009 (details...)

Collapse -
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: this is a few of the

The MS emblem is gone from the task bar now. Usually I get another to inform me to install. Hmm..I guess I should wait it out for a bit. Dan

Collapse -
Still messed up......
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: well

Everything seemed ok so I pressed "Turn Off Computer" to get to restart so I can boot into Ubuntu and the timer came up and is still up. I'm on my laptop now. The only way I can restart is to hold the button to shut down and then boot. The timer has been ON since my last post. DAN

Collapse -
I tried to..
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Still messed up......

shutdown thru task manager and it's stuck at "Windows is shutting down screen" blue screen. Dan

Collapse -
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: I tried to..

I think I solved the problem. I downloaded google chrome yesterday. Uninstalled it and now things seem normal. Seems like the only browser this computer gets along with is SeaMonkey but it is very slow to come up. Otherwise it's pretty fast. Dan

Collapse -
There's the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2009 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: Okay...

I learned to set the internet back to all MSFT products when such happens. Go figure why it matters.

Collapse -
I wonder why..
by dansar99 / December 9, 2009 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: There's the clue.

the updates are so slow this time. After I installed 3 more updates when I shut down then rebooted I get another cumulitive security update for Windows Explorer 7. It's been stuck downloading at 4% for 15 min. Dan

Collapse -
Look at BITS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2009 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder why..

They call it DRIZZLING for a reason. They are in no hurry to download the update.

If you are in a hurry, use Windows Update instead.

Collapse -
read the fine print
by mittens / December 9, 2009 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: Look at BITS.

I disabled automatic updates two years ago, and deleted most (but not all) of the ones I already had. If you accept all the updates you're clogging your computer with stuff that often doesnt even pertain to you or your OS.

And if you go to the info site to see just what it is you're getting, often the cure is scarier than the apparent and so-called danger.

Only accept those (if you accept any) that pertain to your specific OS and version. And decide if the possible risks (it might say, for example, "could cause XP to shut down unexpectedly") and the cure for the cure is worth the effort.

another important thing about auto updates, the older ones are no longer supported!! After a certain length of time, if you click on one of your older updates (they are all in the add/remove section ), many of them will tell you that MS no longer supports any problems you may have with this.

This is not encouraging. There are thousands and thousands of MBs being added to your computer, most of them unnecessary.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.