Mac Applications

General discussion

MS office on macs

by payamtag / September 2, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

I have microsoft Office 2007 which I have been using for my PC, but for uni I would like a mac. Would I be able to use MS office 07 on the mac without any problems or do I need to buy MS office for mac? (which will mean more money)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS office on macs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS office on macs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MS Office
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2010 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: MS office on macs

If you have Windows installed on your Mac (via bootcamp) you can use the Windows version of MS Office. If you only have Mac OS, you need the Mac version. It's as simple as that.

Kees

Collapse -
MS Office 2007 will not run, Natively, on your Mac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 4:24 AM PDT

but it will run if you run Windows on your Mac.

You could use Boot Camp and a copy of Windows or you could purchase something like Parallels or VM Fusion, install it and then install Windows.
Parallels and VM Fusion will need to be purchased, Boot Camp is included with your Mac, as would a retail copy of Windows.

May be cheaper to purchase MS Office 2008 for Mac, Teacher/Student edition.

P

Collapse -
thanks for the advice
by payamtag / September 2, 2010 4:56 AM PDT

Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately Im not very good with computing terms...
Are you basically saying if I run the MS office 07 on the macbook. It wont run very well unless I uuse bootcamp?

Collapse -
What we are both saying, is;
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the advice

if you want to run Office 2007 on your Mac, you will have to install Windows on your Mac. It will then run.

If you do not want to install Windows on your Mac, then you will need to purchase the Mac version of Office, currently Office 2008.

Windows can be installed on your Mac in a number of ways.
1. Boot Camp. Using this method you will boot directly into Windows and not have OS X running at all.
2. Parallels, a virtualization software that runs under OS X and allows you to install Windows. Windows and OS X would run at the same time.
3. VM Fusion, the same procedure as above.

Any better?

P

Collapse -
OpenOffice
by lovuc / September 3, 2010 11:50 PM PDT

On mac you can use OpenOffice for example. For home using it's very good alternative.

Collapse -
The added bonus
by sturner--2008 / September 10, 2010 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: OpenOffice

is that OpenOffice is free.
It is compatible with Microsoft, gives you near equivalency with the Office Suite. Just remember to save it for .doc instead of the OpenOffice native format (odt).

You can download OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.