Mac Applications forum

General discussion

MS Office for mac or run Office from Windows on mac?

by macenvy / January 5, 2007 1:36 AM PST

I'm buying a mac soon. Macbook 2GHZ 2G ram, 120g HD. Is it better to run the MS Office for Mac program or should I just load Office XP and Windows XP, and run it through Windows on the Mac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Office for mac or run Office from Windows on mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Office for mac or run Office from Windows on mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why MS Office, have you tried NeoOffice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2007 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Is NeoOffice Slower than MS-Office?
by batavier / February 2, 2007 3:24 AM PST

I have been using NeoOffice, and found it quite usefull in reading Office documents. One thing I did notice is that it takes a while (minutes)to upload. (1.5 GHz G4 iBook with 1G RAM.)

I was thinking about getting MS-Office, hoping that it might be faster off the starting block.

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2007 3:52 AM PST

But since it's free I haven't complained. Also it doesn't crash as often as that other product.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes and No
by brilor / February 2, 2007 5:40 AM PST

See my review on the Versiontracker web site: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22021

I've only run Excel compared to NO's spreadsheet but Excel is definitely faster to load and use. After it has loaded N.O. is acceptable speed but still slow (and this is running a native PowerPC executable on a PowerMac G5 dual 2.3GHz). Data file sizes for NO are much smaller because it doesn't write all the meta data garbage Excel does.

Brian

Collapse -
I agree with Bob... though his response
by boya84 / January 5, 2007 4:14 AM PST

does not necessarily answer your question. Neither will mine.

I will go with the presumption that you are somehow locked into using Microsoft office - regardless of operating system. (I use NeoOffice.)

What Operating System do you plan to be your "primary" OS?

While you consider that response: Does it matter to you that the malware associated with the Windows versions can likely cause issues for you if you use the Windows version of MS Office... whereas, the MacOSX MS Office would not be infected by those malware files? You could receive the malware from the Windows versions into your Mac MS Office and pass that malware on to Windows users, but your MacOSX files would not actually be impacted by them. At least, not now, anyway...

Is Microsoft Office the only reason you would be using Windows on your Mac?

Collapse -
Thanks for the insight.
by macenvy / January 5, 2007 4:43 PM PST

I was planning on using Office only because its the only suite of products that I have ever used, word, excel, powerpoint, etc. for both school and work. I didn't realize that there was the risk of malware if I used the Windows on the Mac. That definitely makes me think twice about using it now. I was only considering it since I had the software for both Windows and Office already.

Yes, MS Office would be the only reason that I would use Windows on the Mac.

I will look into NeoOffice as an alternate, and if I must, I'll use the MacOSX MS Office. That, or I'll just used MS Office on my old pc.

Thanks for the advice. I'm salivating in anticipation of owning a mac (last experience was the apple IIC). I won't wait until leopard comes out, but I can wait until after Macworld.

Collapse -
Use MS Office for Mac
by Alegoo92 / January 20, 2007 12:09 PM PST

I actually like MS Office for Mac more than the MS Office on my PC. The interface is nice, it has some very usefull features (from large ones like voice/note recording to small ones like: _________ = a smooth line).

Either way I use Office 2004 for Mac, and I make very aesthetic documents for essays and thesises in school, plus you wont have to open XP (which will wear at your System Memory RAM).

Hope this helps
Alex

Collapse -
MS Office for Mac vs iWork, and MS Access
by ccnb / January 31, 2007 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Use MS Office for Mac

I am debating between a Macbook and a Windows notebook. I also have the same concern for the MS Office Suite (Windows user most of my life).

A sales person suggested purchasing iWork instead of MS Office if cost was a concern. Does the MS Office for Mac have the same interface and feel as if you were running the Windows version? Does iWork have a different interface, but creates compatible files that can be opened in windows?

Is there any compatible Mac software for MS Access? I will be taking a information systems class that will be working with MS Access, but not sure if we are required to have that program on our personal computers.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry, Access is a dead duck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 6:10 AM PST

Even from office to home we run into too much trouble since Access isn't compatible from version to version. In this case I'd just get the PC and match the same version of Access from the office.

Bob

Collapse -
iWork is wonderful..but
by Alegoo92 / February 1, 2007 7:12 AM PST

iWork is a great app that you can VERY effortlessly make very VERY good looking documents/presentations. But it is not suitable to be your standalone text editor. Most documents follow a strange setup, to fit in with a theme, and it just isnt the same as using MS Word.

Id say get a MacBook (or Pro) and get the MS Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition.

Collapse -
It takes a little getting used to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2007 10:14 AM PST

but if you set the default to Blank Document, the fancy stuff takes a back seat.

Give me a blank, I'll make it fancy once I've written it!

P

Collapse -
iwork-appleworks
by p.lefebvre / February 1, 2007 8:44 PM PST

iwork-appleworks for OSX are going to be one program soon and passing MS office by a longshot .

Collapse -
Yea
by Alegoo92 / February 2, 2007 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: iwork-appleworks

I think so too. Probably iWork 07 the way its takin so long to get out.

Just upgrading Appleworks would surpass MS Office, cause the only reason its not better is because they stop updating it years ago

Alex

Collapse -
iwork - nice but ( text - figures - graphics) = Ragtime
by ubdvar / July 11, 2009 5:36 AM PDT

It's a fine piece of work, but nothing for poweruser. I prefer Ragtime which has all in one I can put it together on one page It looks nice and is so easy, really maclike since 20 years now.

Collapse -
Are the shortcuts the same
by lina_christopoulou / December 15, 2010 7:17 PM PST
In reply to: Use MS Office for Mac

Hi there Alex,
I appreciate this was a long time ago, but I read your comment on MS Office on a mac and wondered whether you can help. I have ten years of history with excel and powerpoint and word, being very efficient with shortcut keys and the like. Recently I bought a mac so I can be one of the cool people, but I deeply regret this as iWorks is just not the same and most seriously a lot of the pictures etc in previous ppt presentations haven't gone across. I am therefore thinking of buying MS Office for mac, but, is it just like using it on a PC? Specifically, can I use the same keyboard shortcuts, will it recognise fully my ppt files?
Thank you for your help,
Lina

Collapse -
I can't speak for the shortcuts,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2010 9:06 PM PST

but MS PowerPoint will handle your PPT's without a problem.
There is a possibility that Keynote failed to show all your pictures in some of your PowerPoint presentations because the picture was not actually contained in the PPT but was shown as a link to an external source, the PC hard drive.
Just a thought.

I have had no problem showing PowerPoint presentations with Keynote, apart from the annoying lack of audio.

I think that the shortcuts would be the same on both machines but would have slightly different mapping. The Mac keyboard does not have a separate ALT key for instance, it's combined with the option key.

P

Collapse -
Office for Mac OSX Student/Teacher edition
by onemoremile / February 1, 2007 11:52 PM PST

I understand the idea of using Microsoft Office because of familiarity and skills built over the years. I move back and forth between Office for Windows at work and Office for Mac at home with very little trouble. You mention that you use Office for school work. There is a Student/Teacher edition of MS Office for Mac, which is available at a very reasonable price. In fact, the version that I have can be installed on three Macs. The Student/Teacher edition can be used by a student, a teacher or the parent of an eligible student.

This seems like a simpler approach than installing Windows on your new Mac.

Collapse -
Just a curiosity,
by FuturDreamz / February 2, 2007 8:41 AM PST

Have you looked at iWork? it doesn't have A program that is a dedicated Exec equivilment, but there is good functionality inside Pages, and it matches the UI (looks simple with basic features, but when you dive in furthur it becomes simple with many features), only $80 compared to $x00 for Office.

Collapse -
MS Office for Mac OSX
by cjstgeorge / February 1, 2007 10:51 PM PST

Overall MS Office for the Mac is just like MS Office for Windows, with a couple of caveats.

Look and feel can be a bit different, but no more so than between versions of Office for Windows. I.e., just because they've working for another platform, doesn't mean MS is going to leave menus the same place.

One annoyance is EPS/PDF graphics, you can't import with previews very well on the Mac. This is a know issue with Microsoft blaming Apple, and Apple blaming MS. As this was true on the PC prior to version 2004, it's not surprising (despite EPS being a very common format for years before then), and I'm inclined to continue blaming MS. That said, my impression was that this was still an issue for the Open Office suite too. (I tried them, but was not happy).

Other than that, I've been using MS Office on the Mac for a year happily. Track changes works well across platforms too. I haven't tried iWork yet, but am thinking of doing so mostly for presentations, where the graphics problems of MS apps gets more problematic. Most postings I've read suggest Keynote (part of iWork) is a great replacement for PowerPoint, but that Pages is sub-par relative to MS Word, unless you are student just writing class papers, then it is fine. MS Word is where I am also more locked in by sharing with others as well.

Collapse -
Which Office
by Yunks / February 13, 2007 4:48 AM PST

Eh, first of all, are you planning to install XP anyway - dont install XP just for office!! Anyway, i used to be Windows user and actually quite liked office and especially office 2007. But, on Mac the office is slightly different in the layout - personally i dont like it as much as the windows office. So choosing what to do is really your choice of what you prefer!! Just BTW they both save same file type, so opening office mac docs. on windows should be just normal. Hope this helps.

BTW, if you want a very similar look to office '03 xp on your mac, you can download "neoOffice" - FREE, for MAC

Collapse -
Mac OS 9.2.2 with Microsoft Office xp
by adebara / April 6, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

Can Mcrosoft Office xp be installed on Mac OS 9.2.2 operating system ?

Collapse -
(NT) No!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 9:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just to clarify,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 7, 2009 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: No!

MS Office XP was/is a Windows based application that will not run on a Mac running System 9.2.x

P

Collapse -
MAC vs Windows application
by subhashra / January 22, 2011 2:15 PM PST

all popular MicroSoft application/program have incorporated less than 50% of features for MAC. so one who use MAC should not think of using application/program being originally developed by MicroSoft operating system, otherwise it will be only frustrating.
Subhash

Collapse -
Two things -
by sturner--2008 / January 25, 2011 5:00 AM PST

First the thread you are answering is two years old.

Second, you are totally incorrect in your assessment.

The only points where one would need to run Office on Windows is for the applications that have no counter-point on the Mac side, like Access. As for features, both the Mac versions of Office and the Windows version of Office share the same feature sets in Power Point, Word, and Excel.

And to be fair, Word did start as a DOS program. However, it was developed in GUI form for the Mac and THEN ported to Windows. I believe that Excel started first on the Mac side and was then ported to Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.