Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

MS OFFICE

by Howdydoody0193 / January 17, 2013 8:05 PM PST

HI,
had a visit from Messrs Agent and Vilset which corrupted a number of Office programmes. I eventually got MS Money to run but my Word and Spreadsheet documents are in heiroglyphs. Keep getting the ASCII box but when corrected does no good. Also lost Restore Points on Sys. Restore which would have been a big help.
Any adcice as to how I could get back into my W and S/S ( and if possible old Restore Points ) would be gratefully received.

UTBFTO

Tony

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS OFFICE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS OFFICE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: MS Office
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: MS OFFICE

The first thing to do: find out if the program is corrupted or those files are corrupted. So copy a few files to a USB-stick and see what they look like on another machine.

Kees

Collapse -
MS Office
by Howdydoody0193 / January 18, 2013 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re: MS Office

I'm using Open Office for my Word and Spreadsheet documents. Seems to be okay with new files but the ones previous to the virus are encoded. Tried them on another PC with O/O and it still didn't rectify.

Thx

Tony

Collapse -
So your old documents are encoded.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: MS Office

Then you restore the latest correct version from your backup and you're done. That's why you backup, isn't it?

And, by the way, your documents aren't saved in System Restore.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
If you have Windows 7 or 8, use "Previous versions"
by wpgwpg / January 19, 2013 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: MS OFFICE

Since you didn't say what version of Windows you have, I don't know whether this would help you.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.