Download.com Site Feedback

General discussion

MP3nity Is not free!

by TDShrwd / August 16, 2010 4:04 PM PDT

Usually download.com is very careful to list the proper pricing status of the software included on the site. For example, a typical description might say, "Price: Free to try (30-day trial) $99.00 to buy"
Very straight forward. Up front. Very helpful and to the point.

However I recently downloaded an mp3 tag editor called MP3nity which was listed as simply "Free". The application is, in fact, not free. After installing and running the software for 30 days, upon opening it, I was given a dialog box that said my trial period had expired and that I must follow the provided link to find out how much I would have to pay to continue to use the application.

This is probably just an oversight on the part of download.com and/or the application's author, but I feel that listing MP3nity as "free" in the initial link description with no further comment is extremely misleading and does not help the credibility of CNET or the creators of MP3nity. If there is a trial period involved, in my opinion CNET should say so without exception as it has done for all the other software I've downloaded here. Not only that, but if there is a trial period, the price to continue using the software should also be listed. In this case, as I said, not only was I not informed I would be installing software that was a trial version, but no pricing information was listed either.

I liked the software, that is not the issue here. But at this point, I am not inclined to purchase it because I don't like to feel that I'm being tricked.

For example, I recently downloaded a program called Easy CD-DA extractor from CNET (download.com). The description clearly stated that I would be downloading a trial version. Up front, honest. And after the trial version I liked it so much I just had to have it. So I had no problem paying for it.

If the MP3nity description was just an oversight, and is updated soon, I will probably go ahead and purchase the software. It really is a useful application. But for now it is an issue of trust. And no matter how useful it might be to me I refuse to bite.

Sincerely,
TDShrwd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3nity Is not free!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3nity Is not free!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2010 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: MP3nity Is not free!

That developer's description appears to have missed out that this product is a trial version.

They appear to dispute this. From the feedback/comments I saw this;
http://download.cnet.com/Mp3nity/9241-2141_4-10385825.html?messageID=9741454
{See their reply below that comment}

And yet, from their own web site FAQ I saw; Why Mp3inity isn't freeware - You will need to click that FAQ link to see their response.

However and to be fair, Download.com have said in the Specifications listing that this is a 30 day trial version.

I've reported this to the Download.com team, in case they want to highlight this on that initial review page, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Mark

Collapse -
Corrected license for Mp3nity
by peterbutler Download.com staff / August 18, 2010 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

Hello, TDShrwd. Thanks for the alert.

The publisher's site says that it is "fully-functional for free for a long period of time" without mentioning how long that time period is ... but our processing team also added the 30-day limitation, so I'm not sure how the licensing error came about.

This product is clearly "Free to try" with a purchase price. I'll leave the 30-day trial as the limitation for now, and contact the publisher to see if she or he would like to clarify the trial restrictions.

http://download.cnet.com/Mp3nity/3000-2141_4-10256051.html

Sorry for the mistake. I'll follow up with our production team to see how it happened. My best guess is that the license changed at some point and wasn't appropriately noted, but it's hard to tell.

Cheers,
Peter

Collapse -
Thanks for updating MP3nity's description
by TDShrwd / August 20, 2010 3:32 AM PDT

Thanks Peter and Mark for taking care of that. MP3nity is a nice little application after all.

Collapse -
(NT) Our pleasure, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Listing info still incorrect
by drwdjones / May 9, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

It's now May 10, 2011 and the same problem persists. The software is "free to try for 30 days." After this, it's $19.95. CNET still hasn't corrected the entry.

DJ

Collapse -
Not sure what that problem is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2011 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
The current page in CNET Download
by drwdjones / May 9, 2011 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
According to their web site
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2011 7:51 PM PDT

at http://www.littlelan.com/mp3nity/faq.php there is now a free version;

FAQ:

Is Mp3nity free?

Yes, Mp3nity is now available in two modes. Free and Premium. The FREE mode is a fully functional mode, it doesn't expire, it doesn't contain adware or nagging dialogs, and it still has all the tools that make Mp3nity awesome.

-------------------------

Please let us know if they are still misrepresenting this information.

Mark

Collapse -
What does fully function mean?
by drwdjones / May 9, 2011 11:11 PM PDT

After 30 days, the CD Ripper and file converter cease to work. Are these "functions" of the program? They are the functions that I wanted when I downloaded the program. However, they are premium functions. It seems inconsistent to say that the free program is fully functional and then have some of the functions quit working.

DJ

Collapse -
I have reported this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply.

I have passed this on to the Download.com team with the information you have provided.

Regards.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Mp3nity Free vs. Premium
by peterbutler Download.com staff / May 10, 2011 5:28 AM PDT

Hi, DJ. Thanks for your continued persistence here. Sometimes there is a fine line between "trial software" and "free software with an available premium upgrade," but I think you are correct that Mp3nity seems to be more of a trial of the Premium version than a separate free version in and of itself.

Collapse -
Thank you for the quick response
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2011 8:02 PM PDT

Much appreciated Peter.

Mark

Collapse -
Mp3nity IS Free
by Littlelan / May 13, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm from Littlelan, the developers.

I disagree completely, it's not a fine line between Trial and Free w/ Premium. One expires after a period of time and your only option is to purchase it or uninstall it, and the other offers a free fully-functional application, but also, you get extra bells and whistles if you decide to pay.

For example, users who are looking for a free fully functional tag editor, they can safely download Mp3nity, because tag editing for instance is fully functional and unlimited. The same truly goes for most of the program functionalities. So it's unfair to say it's not free because it is and it doesn't expire, nor you'll ever see nagging dialogs or weird stuff. Now, since Mp3nity is a multi-tool program, you can get extra tools, without affecting the others if you pay for Premium, such as the converter and the CD ripper. Note that most FREE programs on CNET have a similar Premium/Gold/Pro option.

And note that Mp3nity is filed on CNET under Music Management, and not CD Rippers or Converters, and as a Music Manager, compared to similar editors/managers in that section, I can assure you it's completely free, as your staff may have tested and verified. Because so many of our users requested it to be and so we made this major change for them.

Also, I need to point out that this discussion is out-dated. It started back when Mp3nity was indeed a Trial program with a free lite version on the side.

So, please fix back the page, and if you need more information, you can consult our website or contact me.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Mp3nity IS Free
by peterbutler Download.com staff / May 13, 2011 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Mp3nity IS Free

Hi, Littlelan. Rather than hashing it out here, I'll follow up with you via the email listed in your Upload.com account.

Collapse -
Mp3nity similar?
by jefrey36 / May 14, 2011 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Mp3nity IS Free

Does anyone knows similar to Mp3nity - but free? I realy like the software but looking for a free one..
Thanks

Collapse -
Substitute for Mp3nity
by drwdjones / May 14, 2011 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Mp3nity similar?

It depends on what your primary purpose is. Mp3nity free works fine to edit tags and manage files, but after 30 days the free version won't rip or convert. If ripping is what you want to do, I'm using FreeRip basic and find that it does a good job for this and has reasonable tag editing features for ripping. It has an editor's 5-star rating. It's at: http://download.cnet.com/FreeRIP/3000-2140_4-10050140.html

Good luck

DJ

Collapse -
a year latter and I found myself in the same boat
by The Yoder / June 11, 2012 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Mp3nity IS Free

I saw nowhere that this was a trial. My version was 2.2 something and again it is listed as free, 30 days latter however your full feature trial is over and the program loses most of it's charm. LittleLan if you are still listening in hear this: I, like the poster above, liked the fully functioning program, enough that I would have paid 19.95 for the program. Notice "would have" in the sentence, if it was not there you would have gotten a sale. Why are those two words coming between you and getting paid you might ask...because you're not upfront about the trail nature of the program you offer for download on this sight. I agree with the above assessments that this is indeed a trail version the way it is set up in the latest version I downloaded. It starts out with features that go away ,,, trail version. I see where you are trying to weasel out of being misleading then (may 2011) as you seem to be now. As a consumer (you know - the people that give you money if you do things right) a business being misleading sends up the warning flag for me. It makes me wonder what else they are willing to mislead me about to get their foot in the proverbial door or their hands on my credit card information. You may be a perfectly reputable company but it is not worth the risk to me to find out (not in this day and age).
I would suggest to you that you be upfront on this site. When you upload future versions of this program ask that it be listed under free to try instead of free. You have a pretty solid program (it is a little buggy on XP so it may not be TDShrw's Win7 64-bit that is the issue) one that many will buy that are picky about their tags IF you gain their trust.

Sorry about the rant CNet team, could you please get the descriptions for this fixed again, I can see you have taken steps in the past and listening to your users is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Thanks for this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 10:36 PM PDT

and I am sorry to see that the developer's still haven't cleared this up.

Just asking, have you added your own comments to the Download.com listing? If not, it would be good to let others know so they can make their own mind up before downloading this software.

I have passed your message on to the Download.com team.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes I left a review as well
by The Yoder / June 12, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

Thanks for the attention Mark.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.