Storage forum

General discussion

MP3 write protect removal

by Lloydpond / December 16, 2004 10:35 PM PST

I have an USB MP3 player which has become write protected. I can not find any way of turning this off. Please can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 write protect removal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 write protect removal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 10:47 PM PST

Given only what's in your post, help is unlikely.

A make and model might have helped.

Bob

Collapse -
Please Help.
by Juno117 / January 15, 2010 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Unlikely.

That wasn't my question but I'm having the same problem.
I have a GPX digital media player, model ML759B.
I put music on it one time, and now it's write protected.
How do I take off the write protection so I can put more music on it?

Collapse -
Check this discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Please Help.
Collapse -
hi any info
by deeasinweedee / March 10, 2005 1:08 AM PST

Hi m8 i bought a mp3 player and it's write protected could you tell me if you get any info plez tell me thank-u

Collapse -
Same Troubles...
by everREDy / March 29, 2005 9:09 AM PST

I also have a problem with the "write-protection" of my MP3 player. I was putting pictures on it to transfer between my two computers. I was able to transfer them, but when i got to the other computer, i was NOT able to delete them, or any of my songs. None of them are read-only or anything like that. I am sure i havent activated any write-protection.

My MP3 player is as follows:
-Egoman by HALDEX
-256 MB
-has radio
-advertises compatibility with digital storage/photos

My computers are as follows:
The one with the original pictures:
*2.6 Gigahertz
*256 MB of RAM
*Running Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1

The comp. which i encountered the problems:
#3.4 Gigahertz
#512 MB of RAM
#Running Windows XP Home SP2

Any help would be great, since this is my 3rd MP3 player... all of my others have screwed up... all with different problems!

Collapse -
Which one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2005 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Same Troubles...
Collapse -
"It is most lilely an XP Registry Hack"
by nworley / March 30, 2005 7:58 AM PST

Microsoft in it's "I know what's best" put a lock on SP2 that allows you to set your computer to not allow some one to insert a USP drive into your machine and suck your contents. That hack is detailed in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx#ECAA

See:Controlling block storage devices on USB buses
What does controlling block storage devices on USB buses do?
This feature provides the ability to set a registry key that will prevent write operations to USB block storage devices, such as memory sticks. When this registry key is enabled, the devices function only as read-only devices. You can implement this setting as part of a security strategy to prevent users from transporting data using these devices.

This document also tells you how to make the hack if it is not installed or how to disable it if it is installed.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1142/ This site has A more readable method of how to do it.

Norm

Collapse -
Write Protect by accident - please help!
by elb78 / March 31, 2005 12:22 AM PST

I also have the same problem with an MP3 player (Visual Land - VL531) with it being write protected. I only received it yesterday, and after a little while it had stopped working.

My pc sometimes detects it and sometimes doesn't. The latest trick is that I can't reformat it, as it says it's write protected, without a hardware switch to do this, so I don't know how it happened in the first place!

There is definitely enough power in the battery, as it switches on, but only the display lights up with a multicoloured background, and nothing else. The fact that it's write protected means that I can't tell if it just needs re-formatting or not.

I was glad to hear that it may be just something that XP does in the registry, so I went off in search of this, only to discover that I can't find the registry entry they mention (StorageDevicePolicies) in the section about 'Controlling block storage devices on USB buses'.

Is there anythign I can do? Or something I'm missing?

Cheers,

Emma

Collapse -
1 day old? That's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 12:38 AM PST

Return it. Problem solved.

Bob

Collapse -
...and Don't I know it!
by elb78 / March 31, 2005 7:10 PM PST

Yes, I know. I had written to the company to see what they said. They've asked me to return it. I unfortunately made the mistake of buying a cheap china import from the States though! Silly me.

Apple Shuffle next time!

Collapse -
MP3 write protect problems too after firmware upgrade
by cyberpoufgoth / October 30, 2005 12:33 PM PST

hey,

My MP3 details: IItronics iMP-11 WMA/MP3 Player 128mb

My PC details: Windows XP Home 2002 edition with service pack, AMD Athlon 1.67 GHz, 256mb RAM

The first time i connected my new MP3 player to my computer via the USB connection it wasn't being recognised even though I have XP so therefore it should have bundled software - however the player was recognised as soon as I loaded the Player Tools from the Windows 98 driver folder on the CD-ROM (!!!)

Then according to the player LCD screen and a pop-up the firmware needed updating - this i did and did correctly before transferring a couple of tracks just to see what it sounded like.

This is when my major problem happened all of a sudden it refused to write anymore tracks or remove any tracks or play any tracks!!!! I checked my registry (as I have other USB storage devices) and write protection has both an enabling and disabling rule!! Dunno what else to try so I'm taking it back to the shop!!

cheers

Collapse -
Very Similar Problem
by unquenchablefire / November 23, 2005 12:57 PM PST

I have a similar problem to the rest of the users on this thread. I bought a Zen Micro, and it's great. The odd thing is that ~60% of the files i put on it got some kind of copyright protection added to them. What makes this odd, however, is that they were the files i ripped to my computer through various mixes. I'm pretty sure that i can delete them, i just can't add them to my new computer. This wouldn't ordinarly be a problem, but my hard drive crashed. And now due to some annoying copyright, i can't access about two gigs of music that was even more legal than some of the other music that i can access...

Collapse -
help
by sampetch / December 23, 2005 6:45 PM PST

hey you know you said it was write protected same thing happened to me and then i checked and the hold switch was on try and turn it off

Collapse -
mp3 problems
by DANSTER100 / January 15, 2006 3:21 AM PST

i brought an IItronic imp-11 mp3 yesterday and after
installing it on the computer and upgrading the firmware the bloody thing went dead the screen of the mp3 started to flash and then the writing dis-appeared and to make things worst my computer keeps crashing on me. bloody technologyyy

Collapse -
IItronics 128mb write protection
by thegipper / November 23, 2005 8:19 PM PST

Hi,

I also have a IItronics 128mb and I've found it will give you write protect messages in XP if you insert the player with the "hold" switch activated. If you turn off "hold" you should be able to access the mp3 player again.

Collapse -
removing write protection
by alicedaisypark / December 17, 2005 4:49 AM PST

I had the problem of not being able to delete songs from my IItronics 128mb mp3 player or put any on, I read your advice about making sure that the 'hold' button wasn't on and tried it and my mp3 player is working normaly again! Thanks very much!

Collapse -
I'm confused
by ErGu / July 16, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

I have a sony 8gb mp3 and somehow it won't let me delete some songs. My laptop says, "Remove write-protection...bla bla bla". What is the "HOLD" button? If I turn it off sort to say would I be able to delete the folders?

Collapse -
Hold button
by daulton / May 2, 2009 2:48 AM PDT

That was my problem! Fixed it, thanks!

Collapse -
Write Protection Removal
by Dave_UK / December 26, 2005 6:23 PM PST

Seasons Greetings All, Check your hold button isnt on becuase that write protects it. Other than that get on to manufacturers website.

Collapse -
Write Protection
by bs_gy / January 16, 2006 7:33 AM PST

I had the same problem, y'know, cant delete or put anything on because the drive was write protected. Turned out that my hold button was on.

BUT!!! Now that I've turned off the hold button and can add and delete content, all is not well. There is one folder that I can't remove. It contains another folder, which contains 2 wma files. When I try to delete the folder, it won't allow it because the folder is not empty. So, obviously, I proceeded to delete the containing files and try to delete the folder now that it is empty. But, I cant because the files are back. It seems no matter what I do I cant get rid of these files. I need help. Thanks.

MP3 Player: IITronics IMP-11 1GB MP3 Player

Collapse -
remove write protection
by nirjain_1952 / July 3, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

i hahe got sony ns11 mp3 player. it is formated FAT32 by mistake. now l want to format it to NTFS. But the device is write protected. pl. advise me as to how to remove write protection and reformat to ntfs
thanks

Collapse -
re
by saxena_somya / December 21, 2010 6:40 AM PST

hey can u extract and send me its firmware. I Pls my sony ns-11 is dead and can't find its firmware. Thanks!

Collapse -
how to remove write protection on mp3?
by aracataca / January 27, 2010 7:30 PM PST

I have a phillips mp3, with a 2GB memory. if i try to copy more than about 1.6 GB of music on it, it says "can not copy this file, please remove the write protection" bla bla. what to do? help,please?
(ps: sorry for my english...)

Collapse -
how to remove write protection on mp3
by aracataca / January 27, 2010 7:32 PM PST

and the hold button isn't on, by the way...:D

Collapse -
Could be the same old thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 7:42 PM PST

Often the top directory gets full. Try deleting a few items, make a folder and put stuff in there.

Collapse -
doesn't work!
by aracataca / January 28, 2010 7:39 PM PST

:(( actually its's even worse...now it doesn't let me copy more than 560 mb of music...think i'm gonna go mad!

Collapse -
Maybe it's that other issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: doesn't work!

There were so no name brands that used a COMPRESSED FILE SYSTEM to mis-report the size. These would cause such complaints. Sounds like your unit.

Fix? Get your money back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.