Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

mp3 to aa

by fitties / April 20, 2007 8:45 AM PDT

I currently have a lot of audio books in mp3 format and when I have to stop the audio book I can't keep my place. And with some audio books fast forwarding to my place can be a pain.

I know that Audible Audio's format (.aa) has the bookmarable audio feature and I wanted to know if there is a way to convert .mp3 to .aa? I do not have an IPOD, I have a Sandisk - Sansa Express.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mp3 to aa
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mp3 to aa
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to search for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: mp3 to aa
Collapse -
mp3 to aa
by fitties / April 20, 2007 11:50 AM PDT

ive already done a search for it on the net. all i can find are going aa to mp3. most of the pages are close to 3 years old when i did my search for that on google. i was not able to find anything. thats why i posted on here, hoping that someone could help me.

Collapse -
"No sadly you can not convert .mp3 to .aa. But you can conve
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 12:20 PM PDT

"No sadly you can not convert .mp3 to .aa. But you can convert your Audiobooks on CD or .mp3's to something like the .aa format."

To convert to their proprietary format you'll have to have them do it. It's not something that is in the public domain such as MP3.

However if you had read a few select hits you find this -> "But you can convert your Audiobooks on CD or .mp3's to something like the .aa format.

Useing iTunes convert your CD / .mp3 to Apple's AAC (.M4a) Format. Useing Windows File Explorer change that extension to .M4b.
That'll enable iTunes Bookmarking feature wich you can also use on the iPod... "

Bob

Collapse -
convert mp3 to aa
by fitties / April 20, 2007 8:51 PM PDT

I remember reading this post in a forum that was a few years old. Looks like it was copied and pasted... And I also posted that I don't have an iPOD and in your post you mentioned that i should convert it to an iPOD format...

Not much help unfortunately.

Good try....

Collapse -
And nothing has changed since then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: convert mp3 to aa

I was letting you do the research. This is all volunteer efforts and person to person so I'll just answer your question with "no."

Does that clear it up?

Bob

Collapse -
convert mp3 to aa
by fitties / April 21, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

well forums are a place where people share knowledge...not make them keep searching when they have already researched it and couldnt find the answer. you didnt really help me at all as you copied quotes from other forums and links to google searches...which i had already done.

and your answer of no doesnt really help me as it doesnt solve my problem. lol maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could help?

Collapse -
The answer will still be "no". Maybe you wanted to know why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: convert mp3 to aa

Here's why. Audible unlike MP3 is not an encoding that someone has put the definition into the public domain.

Many won't take no for the answer so I've taken to answer the audible question with a search since many won't take the answer on my word.

-> Here's what could help you out. Research what other formats your player uses and see if they have bookmark features. This is why I noted the iPod method. Then you can see if your player has something similar.

And NO I don't have a solution for you. Just the answer.

Bob

Collapse -
converting mp3 to aa
by fitties / April 21, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

my player supports aa, mp3, wma. AA from what i know is the only one with bookmarking ability. do you know of any non ipod way of converting mp3 or wma to a bookmarable format?

Collapse -
This probably won't help you....
by ktreb / April 21, 2007 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: converting mp3 to aa

Since you don't have an iPod. In iTunes you can set an option to "remember playback position", on any audio file that it supports. No conversion necessary for mp3 or aac. Audible files and podcasts (most of which are mp3s) downloaded through iTunes automatically have this option set. When you transfer the file to the iPod, the bookmarking option gets transferred along with it.

I guess all you need to do now is find something similar that can work with your Sandisk.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Let's break away from the Sandisk for a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

If we take what we've learned so far, AA is not a solution since the encoder is PROPRIETARY and you see the dead end that is there.

If we look at Brad's Software Productions you see how people know they want this feature and will code it into MP3 or CD Player (Brad's) such as http://microsoft.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=75&jid=368C532A85X5F58D72BAX1E35E362D87&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=191051

However if we must stick to the Sandisk we may have no solution beyond what Sandisk gives us since they may not be able to supply it due to PATENTS. Yes, there's that ugly word I was trying to avoid and drill right down to the answer before. But you want to know WHY? and "is there any way?" so we have to go over the ground called PATENTS and more.

I will not supply the specific patent but let you do the research at http://www.freepatentsonline.com/ I wonder if you'll write I don't know? Sorry but my background includes product development of some dozen electronic gizmos and patent searches are par for the course so there is a patent on this idea.

Sandisk sadly might not be able to justify paying for this feature since the added sales wouldn't pay off the patent. Besides they may be a partner with Audible which would withdraw the .AA support if they gave you another bookmark method. We'll never know that story.

Here's the answer again (no.) http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sandisk+bookmarking&btnG=Google+Search

Owner after owner complaining about the lack of bookmarking.

That's the answer. You have the wrong device.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.