Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

MP3 Player that records FM?

by tech_rube / January 27, 2010 3:08 AM PST

I know they used to have these, and that RIAA or somebody was making them take the ability to record fm off. But I go to conferences a lot where they broadcast on FM and I would like to be able to record it and review it later. Is there anything out there (reasonably priced of course) that would work for me? Or do I just have to keep looking for a refurbished sansa or something?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 Player that records FM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 Player that records FM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My nephews nano?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 3:47 AM PST

Take another look at the nano.

Collapse -
From what I heard,
by tech_rube / January 27, 2010 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: My nephews nano?

it seems the new nano, even though it has fm tuner and voice recorder and video recorder, it cannot record from fm.

I'd love to be wrong, but that's what I'd read.

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ipodnano/topic4887.html

and

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/09/09/ipod-nano-video-camera-fm-tuner-travel/
says that the nano will record off the airwaves for 15 min but that's it.
and you can pause the radio and tags songs you want to record, but that's not the same thing.

and this

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/a/ipod-nano-fm-tuner.htm
says you can record radio, but all it is, is that you pause live radio, which may be where the 15 min comes in, but if you change the station you lose it.
My question is, even if I had a short session to record, would I be able to save that recording for later review? Doubtful unless I do nothing else with the ipod during the mean time.

Collapse -
Just chatted with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: From what I heard,
Collapse -
Sansa Fuze
by make_or_break / January 27, 2010 2:54 PM PST

On an empty 8GB unit, you can supposedly record up to 22+ hrs worth of material with the available storage room. However, it won't let you record directly to the microSDHC card (the Fuze is compatible with up to 8GB of add-on storage).

I just tried recording FM on my unit, and indeed it works.

Collapse -
When did you get your fuze?
by tech_rube / January 27, 2010 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Sansa Fuze

I had heard that new ones didn't have this feature, but I would love to hear otherwise.

Collapse -
Costco
by make_or_break / January 28, 2010 2:08 AM PST

Store No. 001 brought in a batch during the '09 Christmas rush. Not a bad player for $65 (or thereabouts, if I remember right). Sold out pretty fast.

BTW, I must've been too tired when I posted...the Fuze can actually handle a 16GB add-on card which--silly me--is exactly what I have in my player. (Re)Discovered that when I looked at the status info a little while after posting. Still can't record directly to the card regardless.

Collapse -
Samsung P3
by Ninjawill / January 30, 2010 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Costco

The Samsung P3 does indeed record fm radio to its memory. Plus, you can easily get to the folder holding the recording through your computer. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
iRiver rocks
by iceman2k / February 5, 2010 6:27 AM PST

Check out the iRiver Clix. It works great as we use it all the time for FM recording without any issues whatsoever.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.