Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MP3 Player for professional-quality voice recording?

by ursli / May 11, 2005 9:02 PM PDT

Hi, I'm looking for an MP3 player to help me conduct linguistics research. Specifically, the player would need to be able to record uncompressed files and have mic-level input. Oh, and under $250 would be nice. Can this be done? I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks for your help!
Ness

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 Player for professional-quality voice recording?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 Player for professional-quality voice recording?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for...
by ursli / May 12, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

Thank you for your quick reply!

I should have specified that it needs to be fairly small as people need to wear it (I tried the iRiver iFP-790 but it only has line-in and compressed recording). The recording quality doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, just decent and definitely better than what you get with regular MP3 player voice recording.

If you have any more ideas you could share with me, I would be very greatful. Thanks!

Collapse -
You wrote "Professional" and that's why I noted such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

If not, then move to any MP3 recorder you can use a better microphone.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry for the confusion
by ursli / May 12, 2005 8:29 AM PDT

I am operating under a number of constraints. I need to have the best recording quality possible while keeping the recorder at a maximum of portability (i.e. people need to be able to wear it). I was hoping that there would be a professional-quality recorder that would also match my size needs.

Since that does not seem to be the case, I am able to compromise on recording quality rather than on portability (this is why I cannot use the two products you suggested initially). It seems like all MP3 players are not created equal when it comes to recording. E.g. some have adjustable sampling rates, some don't. I have learned that mic-level input as well as uncompressed recording create better recordings for my purposes, hence I am looking for an MP3 players in a small format that has both.

I already own an iRiver iFP-790, which has line-in recording, but one needs an amplifier to make this work with an external microphone. The amplifier creates noise that I need to keep out of my recording. It seemed that it would be better to search for an MP3 player that has what I need rather than trying to rigg something with the iRiver I have.

But maybe what I need does not exist. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ness

Collapse -
I thought the iRiver alone would work??
by DCizzle / May 13, 2005 3:15 PM PDT

How far away from the source are you trying to record... I can sit comfortable at a desk with the iriver at the other end and record etc... And the slightest sounds seem to be picked up?? It would a simple device to hold up to someone as their reporting a news issue or something. But I'm not clear on your main reasons.

Collapse -
People moving, mic quality
by ursli / May 14, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have to record people (even worse, mostly children) while they're moving around and wearing the recorder. I have tried using the iRiver as it is and it really is fairly decent when you're listening back to it.

However, I need to be able to do acoustic analysis on the recordings. For that, the built-in microphone just isn't good enough, plus the compression leads to a loss of signal for acoustic analysis purposes.

I did read somewhere about working with a pre-amp and external mic plugged into the line-in jack of the iRiver, but I was trying to avoid this cause I'm really not all that great with technology and the fewer pieces the better...

But it's starting to look like that's what I'm going to have to do ;-(
Ness

Collapse -
try a digital mic
by yn516 / June 25, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

I am not sure if this could solve your problem . but if you try with a digital mic instead of analog ( that needs a amplifier) it could work. You should ask the question on the website of iRiver. maybe they know the anwser.

YN

Collapse -
Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for...
by ursli / June 25, 2005 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: try a digital mic
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.