Headphones & Mp3 Players

Question

MP3 Files & Windows 7...Something's Wrong!

by CoryMCasper / September 15, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

I really hope I've come to the right place, because I'm at my wit's end with this. OK, here goes:

I've got quite a few mp3 files stored on my PC's hard drive, and I've got them all sorted by Artist---Album---Track. If I open a particular album in windows explorer (Windows 7), I have all the tracks for that album listed along with the details. In the individual album folders, they all look the way I want them to look, particularly with capitalized first letters. Now, when I go back to the artist folder where all the albums are listed, I type "mp3" in the top right search bar. When I do this, all of the mp3's I have stored for that artist show up, again, with the details. However, in this view, a good portion of the mp3's are all in lower case, which is not how they are in the individual album folders. In the overall view with all the mp3's for the artist, I attempt to change the title (both with the rename tool and by clicking on properties) to reflect the capitalized letters. However, as soon as I click OK or Apply, it shows the corrected name, but then immediately reverts back to all small lettering. How can it be different for the same mp3 files in 2 different folder views? This is driving me nuts!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 Files & Windows 7...Something's Wrong!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 Files & Windows 7...Something's Wrong!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You're right. Explorer can do that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Sony NWZ S543 help required!!!
by abhip30 / September 26, 2012 12:04 AM PDT

To the tech samaritans every where....... i am done trying to find a solution to this by myself!! My wit's end would be an understatement of where i've reached in tryin to solve this thing...... hopeth ye can shine some light.

All was fine up until a month ago, my Sony NWZ S543 was running like a beaut... i'd used it for anything apart from listenin to the songs i'd dumped on it a few months ago. One fateful day, out of nowhere, the mp3 player started going haywire. It played the first 2 secs for some songs, and skipped to the next, and next until it came to some particular song that would play fine. On some other songs the player prompts " FIle in unreadable format ", point to note being that all these songs that had been on it (and I have been listenin to them) for years now, there's no reason why it should stop recognizing these songs. Also, i noticed that i'd added a fresh batch of songs a few months ago and those songs are playing fine.... it is the ones i used to listen a lot to that have started goin crazy. Also, previously all i had to do was connect the mp3 to the pc to transfer files, but now internet explorer hangs if i try to open the folder. And kaspersky doesnt do a scan on the device because it is detected as a walkman and not a 'portable device'. I want to know if there is a method by which i can force backup all the songs so that i can reformat the whole damned thing!

Collapse -
CORRECTION
by abhip30 / September 26, 2012 12:07 AM PDT

anything !read!-- Nothing and Internet explorer..lol....no, explorer hangs when i open the folder!

Collapse -
Re: explorer hangs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 12:16 AM PDT

That's a well known problem when there's a corrupted file in a folder. But it shouldn't happen if you set the view to "List". Maybe even "detail" is good enough, although that might depend on what fields you show in the detail view.
Accessing it from the command prompt should work always.

Kees

Collapse -
True but not sufficient
by abhip30 / September 26, 2012 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: explorer hangs

The explorer problem can be handled as you said. But, the hanging occurs not while browsing, but while copying the files, and the progress bar takes forever to finish the process. The process ends, by giving a 'handler not valid' error and by generating weird file sizes for the copied files (in the destination folder) ... it's either 0kb or 16kb. I've also tried using teracopy and richcopy but even these things couldn't do much to copy those damned files from the mp3 player to the pc.

Collapse -
Re: copy fails
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

So that files are corrupted. That means they are lost. Only copy the good files and forget about the others.

This story again proves the validity of that old saying "You only lose what you didn't backup." Having only one copy of files (documents, pics, music, whatever) on a certain device (mp3, phone, USB-stick, diskette, CD, external or internal hard disk, everything you can think of) implies that you don't mind to lose it.

If formatting the player doesn't help, it's time to buy a new one.

Kees

Collapse -
TRUE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

And another area we have to nod and move forward. If you want to discuss issues with this OS that's fine but let's note other ways I copy files out.

1. The command line.

If you want to survive on a PC you learn the 3 or maybe 4 commands to move around folders and copy from there to here.

2. Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier.

Yes, I mean it.
Bob

Collapse -
Alas!!
by abhip30 / September 27, 2012 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!!!

Cool software. The description indeed speaks of it's unstoppability. Yet my mp3 when connected to the computer is detected as a portable device and the "source" field in RU copier refuses to accept the music folder stored on it...i.e, i can browse to the folder and click "ok", yet the "source" filed remains blank. I can normally browse to the folder containing my music (on my mp3 player) though.

@ Kees_B : I could use a little bit o' optimism here. I'm already down and depressed what with the player gettting f***ed up!! Also, my mp3 refuses to play only a few of them, ~60% of them, while the rest of them it works fine with. So if there's only those few corrupt files, why is it that i am not able to copy any song of the folder. Logically, i should have been able to get atleast the normal files off of the folder right?

Collapse -
I suggest starting from scratch
by Pepe7 / September 28, 2012 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Alas!!

It may be a combination of the Sony player being dorked up/corrupt, along with certain MP3 files in your library over time.

Time to start building the library again from scratch, checking files regularly, and backing up to at least two places as has been suggested in this thread. Do a factory reset on the Sony too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.