Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Mp3 files don't play in correct order

by ripcordcooper / March 31, 2013 4:20 PM PDT

I have been ripping audio book CDs with Spesoft Free CD Ripper. They come out great. I set it to make the whole CD as one file. The problem is that when I have a book with more than 9 CDs, number 10 wants to play after number 1. When I rip them I put a number after each title to correspond to the CD number.
I guess #10 comes after #1, because the first part comes before #2. Is there a way to number them to get them to play in the correct order? I'm tired of hearing the end of the story just after the beginning. Thanks for any replies.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mp3 files don't play in correct order
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mp3 files don't play in correct order
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

Well discussed so I'll skip to the common cure.

Rename the files to lead with a number 0 (zero) when needed.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by ripcordcooper / April 1, 2013 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!

You said that it has been well discussed. I hit the search and didn't come up with anything about it. I'm new here and not all that familiar with the search feature.

Could you direct me to some of the conversations pertaining to the problem?
I would like to read some of them.

You said to "rename the files to lead with a zero when needed".
By that I take it, that when I get past #9 they should get the zero in front?
File #10 would be #010, file #11 would be #011 and so on? Makes sense.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I think you are asking me to vet and supply prior discussions. Sorry but I'll just sum it up.
Bob

Collapse -
OK
by ripcordcooper / April 1, 2013 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

So, to sum it up, was my interpretation of what you were saying correct?
Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Actually I think you guessed what to try next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
Didn't work
by ripcordcooper / April 1, 2013 1:01 PM PDT

I renamed #10 and #11 to #010 and #011 of an audio book that I ripped to MP3 and loaded the book into my Sansa Fuze.
When my player finished with #9 it just started #9 again.
It at least didn't play #010 after #1, instead went to #2 as it should. I'll have to try naming that way while ripping and see if that produces the desired result.

Collapse -
Odd. I thought I would have used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work

And so on. Sorts fine this way. Sure you could add yet another leading zero to them all but that's more work.

Collapse -
It works !
by ripcordcooper / April 2, 2013 8:08 AM PDT

That works just great! Thank you so much.
I only wish I had known that three years ago when I started collecting and ripping audio books. I have over a thousand, and quite a few of them are over 9 CDs per book. I could have numbered them that way while ripping. No big deal to spend a little time renaming before loading them into my player. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Some rippers support that numbering scheme.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: It works !

"I like to create file names that have track number with a leading zero (so 01 02 03 etc in stead of 1 2 3 )

Use the %7 option in the Build File Name string in stead of the %3 option. The %7 tag will be replaced with the track number, including a leading zero for single digit number (i.e. track 1..9) when creating the file name"

This is from http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=faq and CDEX is what I've used for years for this work.
Bob

Collapse -
My needs are simple
by ripcordcooper / April 2, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

The only MP3 ripping that I do is with audio books and I have the Spesoft Free CD Ripper working great. Now that I know to put a zero before the number in the first 9 files, I am good to go.

The only thing I could use now would be an easy way to go back through all of my books in Windows, and be able to easily rename the first 9 files with a zero, instead of having to do each file separately.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Yes there are file renamer apps that do just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: My needs are simple

And as there are thousands of such an app I can't point to any of them. But for the rips, CDEX continues to be "what I use."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.