Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mozilla fox fire browser and System restore trouble

by jacklebiscuit-21396820565281559349676372538382 / April 11, 2006 3:59 PM PDT

I was surfing and I clicked on a link and it froze my pc. After that my Mozilla FoxFire browser froze as well. I cleaned the cache on the browser and when I went to open it, the browser asked for a profile like netscape does???? All of my bookmarks are gone.

I thought to correct the problem with system restore but everytime I try to use it no matter how far back I go the pc can not use the restore points??

I want to know if my system restore is okay? I want to know what I can do to fix it. I did not go back to undo the restore changes because the restore message said that my system could not restore to any of the points I tried. I have a few more that I have not bothered to try. I also want to know if there is anyway to get my bookmarks back???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mozilla fox fire browser and System restore trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mozilla fox fire browser and System restore trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You've proved it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

System Restore on this machine is not ok. As to bookmarks, head to the mozilla/firefox site and read where the bookmarks are stored. Let me be clear that system restore does not restore bookmarks (it's not it's job.)

To repair System Restore varies too widely to give a pat answer. However with all the pests out there I have a routine I use which is.

1. Scan with Housecall.
2. Scan with Ewido.
3. Eject what they find.
4. If you are running TEATIMER, it should interfere with some system restore functions. But that's it job.
5. Research SR.INF and it's use on Hint: SR.INF REPAIR SYSTEM RESTORE
6. Turn SR off and back on. Hint: I don't tell how since it's widely documented.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info.
by jacklebiscuit-21396820565281559349676372538382 / April 12, 2006 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: You've proved it.

Thanks for the info. I am sorry to learn that System Restore is not reliable as I thought it was. I need to find a back up program that will let me restore my pc when unexpected glitches happen.

Collapse -
Just a note about searching for the bookmarks file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the info.

Explorer's search is .. unreliable. Also if there are hidden folders Explorer may or may not show them. I use GYUALA'S NAVIGATOR when I need to do file/directory hunts.

We also can use a nice (free too) tool called PC FILE INSPECTOR which might find it if deleted.

Hope these help.

Collapse -
And for your bookmarks...
by John.Wilkinson / April 12, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

All of your bookmarks are stored in a single file, bookmarks.html, with the backup being bookmarks.bak. Both files are stored in your Firefox profile folders, which for Windows XP is 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default''.

I'd check that location for the files, then copy and paste them to a safe location. Afterwards, delete the profile folder and reinstall Firefox. (For full instructions, click here.)

On the System Restore front, it can be unstable at times...I use it, but don't rely on it. For a good System Restore troubleshooter, click here. Just note that your Firefox bookmarks are not covered by System Restore, so that utility won't recover your bookmarks if they are in fact lost.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Excellent instruction and explaination to bad I couldn't get
by jacklebiscuit-21396820565281559349676372538382 / April 12, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

Thank you for explaining about foxfire.I followed all of your instructions but the proflies folder contain rzihjmcz.slt and when I opened it the reandom characters.default was not there. I looked at what was in the folder and none of it appeared to be my lost bookmarks. I think they were totaly erased. There are a few .rdf files and a cache and chrome folder but no bookmarks.

Thanks for the info on restore and the links. I now understand about the bookmarks. I think it is time to find another browser. Thanks.

Collapse -
Several notes...

First, it's Firefox, not Foxfire...the latter is a fairly common misconception that will not produce the results you want if you perform an internet search for support.

Second, "random characters" is just that...a set of randomly-generated characters. For you that is "rzihjmcz," but it varies for everyone. (It's done as a security precaution.) Thus, you found the proper location.

Third, if the two bookmarks files are not there, then something really nasty happened...what link did you click on? (It may have been malicious.) Normally you'd have around 40 objects in your profile directory, including bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak.

Fourth, do you happen to have a "Backups" or "bookmarksbackups" folder in your profile folder? Starting with Firefox 1.5, daily backups of your bookmarks are created and stored in one of those two folders. (I can't remember which off hand.) If so, grab the most recent backup from there and rename it bookmarks (delete the date).

Fifth, I wouldn't jump out of the boat just yet, as Firefox is a better browser than IE and it's still unknown whether or not Firefox was at fault. The same thing could have happened to IE, which doesn't create backups of your favorites.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
ERUNT as an alternative to system restore
by glennlee / April 12, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

ERUNT is a small free utility that automatically backs up the registry each time you boot up. To restore the registry to a certain date, all that is necessary is to go to the folder storing the backup of that date, and click on the ERUNT program conveniently stored with the backup, and the registry of that date is restored. System restore is not a very reliable alternative, since viruses and spyware often disable it as their first action of attack. Get ERUNT here:

Collapse -
Starting from
by phantazy / April 12, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

the front of this post I was going to suggest Erunt, if Glenlee had not done so for me. I swear by this, as it is 100% reliable. Also, if the first poster wishes to stay with Firefox he might like to use ' Moz backup':, which I guess is the Firefox equivalent of 'Erunt'.

Collapse -
re: ERUNT saved me.....
by WOODS-HICK / April 12, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

when SR and Norton GoBack didn't. Besides autobackup I now create my own backup, creating new folder with description of event, b4 doing any changes to PC. IMO a Great little tool.

Collapse -
one additional suggestion
by glennlee / April 13, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

ERUNT works like a charm if you can boot into Windows, or at least get to Windows safe mode (F8 during boot). If you are locked out of safe mode, you need a boot disc. ERUNT documentation points you to a wonderful free utility called BartPE (Bart's Preinstalled Environment) This free utility allows you to burn a startup cd/dvd that utilizes the files in your Windows system to boot to a Windows environment from disc, with full access to FAT and NTFS drives, CD/DVD drives. (Beats Knoppix which is a Linux environment) Thus you can re-install a good version of the registry even if locked out of Windows. Get BartPE 3.1.10a here:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.