Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

Mozilla Firefox 12.0 - April 24, 2012

by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 24, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 - April 24, 2012

What's New:

• NEW - Windows: Firefox is now easier to update with one less prompt (User Account Control)
• NEW - Page Source now has line numbers
• CHANGED - Line breaks are now supported in the title attribute
• CHANGED - Improvements to "Find in Page" to center search result
• CHANGED - URLs pasted into the download manager window are now automatically downloaded
• DEVELOPER - Support for the text-align-last CSS property has been added
• DEVELOPER - Experimental support for ECMAScript 6 Map and Set objects has been implemented
• FIXED - Various security fixes
• FIXED - Some TinyMCE-based editors failed to load (739141)
• FIXED - OS X: WebGL performance may be degraded on some hardware (713305)

Known Issues:

• Unresolved - If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash (see 573369)
• Unresolved - For some users, scrolling in the main GMail window will be slower than usual (see 579260)
• Unresolved - Some synaptic touch pads are unable to vertical scroll (see 622410)
• Unresolved - Windows: The use of Microsoft's System Restore functionality shortly after updating Firefox may prevent future updates (see 730285)

Release Notes: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/12.0/releasenotes/
Complete List of Changes: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/12.0/releasenotes/buglist.html

Download: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

Note: Existing user's may update via: Help > About Firefox > Check for Updates
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mozilla Firefox 12.0 - April 24, 2012
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mozilla Firefox 12.0 - April 24, 2012
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firefox 12 released - can now update itself
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 24, 2012 8:41 AM PDT

Mozilla has announced the official release of Firefox 12. In the latest release, Mozilla has included the previously announced update service for Windows that spares users the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up. As Firefox is installed in the Programs directory, it requires higher privileges for updating.

Instead of asking users for the required privileges via UAC, it now uses the Mozilla Maintenance Service to update program files. Firefox executes the service with system privileges when it is needed and closes it after the update. An Access Control Entry (ACE) in the update service allows Firefox to launch it with system privileges even though the browser itself does not have them.

Users can enable or disable the service in the Firefox menu under Options > Advanced > Update ("Use a background service to install updates"). When this service is combined with the "Automatically install updates" option, Firefox takes care of version maintenance on its own for the most part. If users don't want to be warned when an update may disable incompatible add-ons, they can also uncheck the corresponding box. [Screenshot]

The final result should be an almost silent update that, at most, only alerts users after an update has been successfully applied. How well this actually works will not be known until Firefox is updated to version 13 in six weeks time. For Mac OS X and Linux, Silent Updates are currently planned for version 14. Google's Chrome browser has updated itself since its initial release, and Microsoft has also been experimenting with updating Internet Explorer through Windows Update without users having to do anything.

Continued : http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Firefox-12-released-can-now-update-itself-1546370.html

Collapse -
Isn't this what we have been fighting against for years,
by EZRIDER714 / April 25, 2012 5:35 AM PDT

Things being done to your computer without your knowledge or consent??? Now it's a good thing?? I don't THINK SO. I don't care whose software it is. It's not like a update has never hosed a bunch of computers.

Collapse -
Well you can turn it off easy enough
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

but this new update is in response to corporate and business IT Admins who felt the frequent release of new versions of Firefox caused them more and difficult work where they had to step through the updates on each of their machines because of UAC.

This way Firefox updates itself and causes less problems for those IT guys while at the same time keeps itself secure against new vulnerabilities and threats.

But easy to turn off and I have done so myself in Options > Advanced tab then the Updates sub-tab.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Well it's a good thing you can or else bye bye FF
by EZRIDER714 / April 25, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Update
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2012 8:38 PM PDT

I've just been advised that Mozilla have added a "Service" to the OS list of Services called "Mozilla Maintenance Service", (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).

It is a Service that is not set to run automatically but is used by Firefox whenever an update is due to be installed to get permission from Windows to install without going through UAC.

The service otherwise uses no resources. Although it can be disabled from starting at all, doing that will mean that Windows will continue to display the UAC permissions request whenever an update is due to be installed.

It can also be disabled in FF > Options > Advanced > Update sub-tab and removing the tick for "Use a background service to install updates".

I've left mine on.

Mark

Collapse -
I forgot the link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 25, 2012 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Mark, I shut mine off :)
by roddy32 / April 25, 2012 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
I heard about this before I updated this
by roddy32 / April 25, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

morning but my options were already set to NEVER check for updates and the installer read that Iand nothing has changed on my settings. Just telling my experience.

Collapse -
Mozilla: Silent updates expected no later than Firefox 14
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 25, 2012 9:44 PM PDT

According to Mozilla version 12 is only the first step towards the silent updates. It is expected to be implemented in its entirety, no later than Firefox 14.

The addition of the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" is only the first step. There should be a separate folder of its own in Programs Files. Read more about it in Mark's most recent post..

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.