How To forum

Question

Moving WMV Movies From Flashdrive To Computer

by janenolan / March 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT

I have some movies that are around 4GB and in WMV format. I have them on my desktop computer (Win7) and I placed one on my 64 GB flash drive to put onto my laptop (win 8)that has 1 terrabyte HD. I got a message saying "too large to move" and would not let me place it on the laptop.

Now with the laptop having a terrabyte, and the flash drive having 64 GB there should be no problem. I tried this with some movies that are under 4BG and they are able to move with no problem.

These are my own movies that I want to burn on the laptop using the double layer DVD. Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving WMV Movies From Flashdrive To Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving WMV Movies From Flashdrive To Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: moving
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

Five questions:
1. How exactly do you try to move them (command prompt, cut/paste, drag and drop)?
2. Can you COPY them (instead of MOVE)? Use drag and drop.
3. What filesystem (NTFS, FAT32) is used on the Windows 8 laptop?
4. What is the full and exact message? To check that you write it correct, try googling it (with quotes around it). If no hits, there's probably a typo in it?
5. How big is that file exactly (in bytes, not in gigabytes)?

Kees

Collapse -
COPY
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: moving

COPY Kees advise!

Collapse -
Nothing Works So Far Moving the Movie Files
by janenolan / March 13, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: moving

I tried the suggestions. I tried moving, copying, drag and drop. The message I get when trying to put the movie onto my 64bg flash drive is "this file is too large for destination file system". The movie is:

6.11 GB
size: 6,562,752,113 bytes
size on disk is 6,562,754,560 bytes

I don't know the file system on my win 8 laptop. How can I find this out?

Maybe this info will help in assisting me. Thanks guys

Collapse -
That is supposed to happen on FAT drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 9:55 AM PDT

Research this on google.

What's the largest file I can have on a FAT32 Drive?

Collapse -
That's the way I was leaning on this one, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

I saw the the problem was not getting the files onto a Flash Drive, invariably formatted as FAT32, but getting it onto a Windows 8 laptop which is almost certainly formatted as NTFS.

I don't know this for a fact, but I doubt that Win8 can even be installed on a FAT32 formatted disk.

My conclusion, and I'm so glad you all asked, is that the 64GB Flash Drive is corrupt and is reporting that the file size of those movies is in excess of 1TB to Windows.

Reformat the Flash Drive, NOT the laptop, load up the movies again and give it another shot.

JMO

P

Collapse -
Re: filesystem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 6:09 PM PDT

The filesystem is not a property of the laptop, it's a property of the partition. So it's shown in the right click properties of that drive letter (that should be c:).

The picture in http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/file-system-find-runs-drives/ (about 40% down) shows it: "File system: NTFS"). Not too difficult to find out, I'd say.

As Bob said, if it happens to be FAT32, that can't contain such a big file. There are 2 solutions:
1. Make a full backup of the drive, then convert it to NTFS. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11106-convert-fat-fat32-volume-ntfs.html tells how (for Windows 7, I don't know if it's the same for Windows 8). The full backup, of course, if needed just in case something goes wrong. Then you would lose everything.
2. See if the program that you use for burning the file to Blu-ray can read the file directly from the USB-stick. Of course, it might make temporary files on the c:-drive which then might be too big also, but it''s worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
Great Suggestions
by janenolan / March 14, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: filesystem

I will try it. Strange when I took a file with photos on it that is around 19.6 GB it moved from the flash drive (64 GB) to the laptop with no problem. What is the difference?

Collapse -
Re: difference
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Great Suggestions

The difference might be that the video is one file of 6 GB, while that "file with photo's" isn't a file but a folder that contains 6.500 files (each picture is a separate .jpg file) of 3 MB on the average.

The FAT32 limitation is on file size, not on folder content.

Still it's strange that a Windows 8 PC has a 1 TB FAT32 disk. That's why I asked you to check it. But you didn't answer yet with the results.

Kees

Collapse -
NTFS System
by janenolan / March 15, 2013 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: difference

The Windows 8 Laptop has a NTFS System

Collapse -
Re: NTFS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: NTFS System

Then copying a file should work. If it doesn't work the way you did it, try another way.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.