Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Moving Windows Programs to a different drive

by dwdawson / August 25, 2006 2:32 AM PDT

I recently purchesed a new laptop and need to use my external drive from another computer to the new laptop. Some programs on that HD need to be moved to another drive on the same computer. I did a search on the Windows help but came up empty. Can anyone tell me how to move a Windows program to a different drive on the same Windows computer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving Windows Programs to a different drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving Windows Programs to a different drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reinstall it
by john_mcdoogle / August 25, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

Microsoft has been steadily working to make this sort of thing harder with every release of Windows, and it has gotten to the point where the only real option left is reinstalling the application. This may affect configuration settings, but should NOT affect any files created with those programs.

Collapse -
Thats what I thought
by dwdawson / August 27, 2006 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall it

Thanks man. I was hoping somebody knew something I didn't. you would think Windows would allow for something like this!

Collapse -
Thats what I thought
by fjord_fox / August 28, 2006 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Thats what I thought

It isn't Microsoft that has made it harder, but Symantec--the owners of Norton products. They seem to be in the business of buying out their competetors in hostile takeovers and then shutting them down. They began that practice when they bought out Central Point, the makers of PC Tools. They have also bought out PowerQuest and shut them down. The two products that PowerQuest sold were Partition Magic and Drive Image (a backup software). Both of them used to have a nifty tool called Magic Mover. With this tool, you could easily move any program from one partition to another and it would automatically do everything that needs to be done--from moving the files to fixing the registry entries to updating the Startup Menu icons. The first thing Symantec did when they WERE selling those two products was to remove the Magic Mover tool. Now they no longer sell either product.

Collapse -
Other options you have...
by Edward ODaniel / August 28, 2006 9:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.