Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

moving programs to new computer, help!

by spratch13 / October 9, 2010 9:16 AM PDT

I have an old compaq laptop running windows XP, the hard drive is small and sub-divided into C and D drives, it doesn't have much memory and it runs ok but slowly. I want to buy a new faster laptop with a bigger screen, faster processor, more memory and a decent size hard drive.

My problem is, how can I transfer my existing programmes into a new computer? I bought the E500 second-hand and don't have any original cds for the programs it has. I have read reviews for the major transfer systems and many people seem to have had problems with them. Given that I know very little about computers, what would you recommend?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: moving programs to new computer, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: moving programs to new computer, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
transfer my existing programmes
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2010 9:45 AM PDT

Won't happen. Even the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" will not move programs (programmes for the British) installed on the hard drive. Programs will not "move", they have to be installed onto the new computer. Files, pictures, documents, movies, favorites, etc. will move/copy. Programs will not. If you don't have the original installer for these programs you're back to square one, reinstall. If you don't have the original installers, dig into your pocket.

I'm afraid you're SOL.

Collapse -
Reinstall
by ConorAB / October 9, 2010 4:32 PM PDT

In my opinion it is best to completly re-install all of your software and then copy your files and settings over to the computer.

I have encountered this many times when my laptop has failed. An example of this is with Steam. I re-installed Steam along with the games, then, I moved the "steamapps" folder back into the Steam directory. This is one of the best ways to do this as you wont loose any of your save data.

This same method should be applied to your programs. Re-install them and then move the contents from "Application Data" in your used folder "C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Name)\Application Data\" into the new computer. This should maintain your saved information and make the move easier and smoother.

Good Luck!
Sincerely, Conor Buckley.

Collapse -
Transfer files
by Willy / October 9, 2010 8:48 PM PDT

Let's summarize this info for ya. Basically, you just can't swap pgms. over to the new system. You need to install whatever pgms. and then swap "data" to the directories recently made and re-use it again. The data being the source files or folders usually made from the install. Just be sure to burn or save(back-up) whatever data before doing anything.

You can physically transfer files either by some network. -OR- Use a flash drive and copy them over. -OR- Burn to CD/DVD discs. -OR- Remove the old system HD and mounted in ext. USB_HD case, then access it via the USB port. If all this seems difficult, maybe a local pro or shop can help.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
It Really Depends on the Programs
by charleswsheets / October 22, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

There is a reason why we can't transfer programs from one computer to another, and that simply put, is that the people who write the programs want you to buy the new version of their programs when you buy a new computer. But there are some circumstances where you can get around this problem.

On many of the older programs, part of the installation included a MSI file along with the rest of the installation. An MSI file is a "Microsoft Installation" file. These files were often included right along with the Uninstall file, and some were actually used interchangeably. If you had the program already installed, it would offer you a choice to "Repair" or to "Uninstall". If you didn't have the program installed, it would initialize the installation process. Finding these files can be a challenge, and not all programs installed them. But if you can find the MSI file, you should be able to use it to make the installation on the new computer.

You may have to set your computer so you can view "Hidden Files and Folders", and search in the "Application Data" to find the MSI files.

Also, sometimes (but not often), you can actually copy and paste the folders right out of the C:\Program Files folder into the new computer's C:\Program Files folder. If you do this, you will probably also need to Copy and Paste the Information from the C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Your Selected Program folder to the same place on the new computer.

I've tried some utilities that claimed they could copy a program from one location and paste it to another location, but I've never seen one that worked with anything buy the simplest programs.

Sorry that this doesn't sound very encouraging, but it's the best I've got. I've researched this problem for years, and haven't found a good solutions for it yet. The good news is that I'm usually glad that I sprang loose a few bucks for the new program since they usually have a better look and run better than the older versions.

I suppose you could also try to find something in the P2P world, but I'd be certain I had a top notch Anti-Virus Program before I tried that.

Best of LucK

Collapse -
My other Posts
by High Desert Charlie / March 19, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

Hi All,

This is just a note to mention my new username has changed from charleswsheets to High Desert Charlie. You can view my post on other subjects under that username.

link is here - http://www.cnet.com/profile/High+Desert+Charlie/

Thanks
High Desert Charlie

Collapse -
Here's another choice
by porsche10x / October 25, 2010 6:19 AM PDT

In most cases, it's the product key that's important and not the disk itself. In fact, you can usually download and install the trial version, then enter the product key to activate it. In some cases, especially with some older programs, you can find the product key listed in the help/about menu. In other cases, it can be extracted from the registry with a keyfinder program. Magicjellybean is such a program, available in both free and paid versions (supports more programs in the paid version).

Of course, you could try to contact the previous owner for either the disks, or the product keys.

Collapse -
correction
by porsche10x / October 25, 2010 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's another choice

oops, thats magical jelly bean keyfinder, not magic helly bean keyfinder.

Collapse -
This is an extremely old post, so maybe you don't need info.
by MSST8DOG100 / October 27, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
You are aware that rarely works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 8:02 AM PDT

I've tried all these on Microsoft Office and without fail, Office fails to run.

Go figure?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.