PC Applications

General discussion

Moving Programs From One Computer To Another

by Curt31 / January 11, 2006 5:25 PM PST

Hello is there anyway I can move a "few" programs from one computer to another. I don't have the software because I got this notebook from a friend and I don't have the original disks but I definitely want to install a few of these programs on the new hard drive I'm installing. Norton use to have a program I believe that could do this, don't want to transfer everything just a few programs. Thanks

Tcj

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving Programs From One Computer To Another
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving Programs From One Computer To Another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / January 12, 2006 1:43 AM PST

If you are using Windows, you're out of luck due to the way it's set up. When a program is installed, changes are made to the registry, DLLs are shared, and files are created and/or modified throughout our system in addition to what's placed in the Program Files folder. This provides for better integration and reduces the possibility of piracy, but it does have its drawbacks, as you've now seen.

If these programs are freebies, just go to the respective websites and download them. Otherwise you need to contact your friend and obtain the CDs. Legally, when you transfer a computer to someone you're supposed to erase any programs (that are not freeware or trial-versions) that are installed unless the software is part of the deal, in which case you must hand over the original CD, any/all copies, and uninstall the software from any other computers you own. For more information you should consult the EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) for each program.

To summarize, there's no way to simply transfer the programs without the original installer/CDs. In addition, your copies of the software are most likely not legal since he still posesses the licenses, not you. As to the Norton program, I believe you mean Norton Ghost, which lets you make a complete copy of your hard drive, including OS. However, this will transfer everything (there are programs that let you backup just certain things, but you'll still be unable to successfully move the entire program and maintain functionality) and still won't solve the legal/licensing issues.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Well Ok
by Curt31 / January 13, 2006 6:37 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

Say thanks well that's what someone told me but I know Norton utilities had a program that was suppose to accomplish this as a matter of fact I sure I saw it with the NU suite, but what you said makes perfect sense concerning the dll libraries thanks your help.

Tcj

Collapse -
Did you notice that MAGIC MOVER is no more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2006 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: Well Ok

While it worked 90 or so percent of the time, it was a flop since for the times it didn't the buyers of this would call into tech support.

ALOHA BOB PC RELOCATOR suffers the same issue but they keep trying and do note that all programs will not move.

Bob

Collapse -
Moving Programs From One Computer To Another
by toshua_thorman / January 13, 2006 2:36 AM PST

ive got no usb or network ports wht should i do i cant get xp on ma 98 HELP!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Clarification please...
by John.Wilkinson / January 13, 2006 2:55 AM PST

I'm a little unsure of what you are trying to accomplish. Are you saying you want to install Windows XP on a computer currently running Windows 98? If so, you need to place the Windows XP CD and click here for the tutorial. You cannot simply move Windows XP from one computer to another because not only is it an operating system but also locked to the hardware of the one computer. If that's not what you meant, please provide a clearer explanation of what software you are speaking of and what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps and let us know more.
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.