Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Moving files to an external hard drive

by RP50 / February 22, 2008 5:55 AM PST

I'm trying to free up space on my computer, so I got an external hard drive. But when I move files to the new drive (space hogs like Picasa and ITunes) I only seem to be copying to it. Instead of everything going to my E Drive, there is now a file in the E drive and the original C drive. How do I move them instead of just copying them? I've tried clicking on 'move this file' in the My Computer screen and I've tried dragging the file to the E drive while holding down the Alt key and neither worked. I have Windows XP installed. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving files to an external hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving files to an external hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends On Which Files....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 6:12 AM PST

If you're trying to move the actual iTunes "program", then it can't be done.. Likewise with other programs.. If they were originally installed to the C drive, they need to stay there.. The same thing applies to some of the program support folders.. Some are designed to be located on the C drive.

On the other hand, most music files can be moved and stored on another drive as long as the program "knows" where they are.. Correctly "Moving" them should change the registry so the program can find them..

Have you tried a RIGHT click "drag" on the entire music storage folder for iTunes (I believe it resides in the "My Documents\My Music" folder) then drag it to the external drive icon in "My computer", release the mouse button and choose "Move Here" selection from the menu?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: moving files to an external hard drive.
by Kees Bakker / February 22, 2008 6:20 AM PST

1. Don't use an external hard drive as ONLY place to store a file. If you visit our storage forum you'll see an amazing lot of discussions about data on external hard drives being corrupted, unreadable or unaccessible and than it's gone. The least you can do is burn the data to DVD as a backup before moving it.

2. Somehow, an internal drive is cheaper (no case) and more reliable than an external one. If your purpose isn't backup or transport, that's a preferable alternative.

3. If you use an external drive, be sure it's formatted NTFS, not FAT32. NTFS is more reliable.

4. To move to another drive, press space in stead of alt while dragging. You'll see the box with + near the arrow disappear. Pressing alt makes only a shortcut to the file on your internal hard disk. If you delete the file then, the shortcut points to a non-existing file and doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I had some better luck, do mean LUCK!
by kunoichi69 / February 22, 2008 2:50 PM PST

I have been fighting the BKDR.DELF trojan and finally decided to send all my files to the external hard drive(yes after the anti virus scans and spy ware scans said they had it quarentined), along with "back ups". I tried taking out the bad parts/programs guilty of my problem and sat for quite a while with windows explorer; copy to, then move to, almost identically to how it was set up on computer. This is after the "move to" did nothing but make a file. After the factory recovery was finished and scanners updated, I re-scanned the external drive. I have been able to open the files on the external drive and create a shortcut on desktop and been able to use some programs, yes some did not transfer just right and I will have to reload them so they with function correctly. Moving to the external drive is a lot easier than trying to restore them back to original hard drive, so far I have not had any luck with that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.