Android forum

Resolved Question

Moving files from phone memory to internal microSD card

by jeanniegraham / September 27, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

I'm sure I'm being extremely dense! I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, and it has some videos stored in the phone. I recently put in a microSD card, hoping to be able to shift the vidjs and also some other stuff onto the card within the phone. So far I have only succeeded in moving the contacts file onto the SD card. There isn't any hardware problem, it is simply that I cannot ever get up a menu which offers me the option of exporting to the SD card (except for the contacts).

I hope somebody can explain what I have to do! (I can shift data out of the phone with wifi, bluetooth, and the USB cable - but how do I move data within the phone?)

I don't know if this is an Android or a Samsung query, but since it is so very basic I'm sure that doesn't matter.

jeanniegraham has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving files from phone memory to internal microSD card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving files from phone memory to internal microSD card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jeanniegraham

Collapse -
Many use other apps for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

Example? ES File Explorer.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, that works
by jeanniegraham / September 27, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

It is so good to get a specific recommendation for an app - I had installed another 'file manager', but the ES one (while not allowing me to 'move') at least does copy/paste/delete so it does what I need.

Many thanks.

Collapse -
Where is ES File Explorer?
by geoshimomura / October 29, 2011 3:58 PM PDT

What Category is the ES File Explorer in---Communications? Tools? And is it under free or pay for app listing? I have a Motorola Bionic. Thanks. Geo.

Collapse -
I don't know. But how about this link to the Android Market
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2011 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
File manager app for Android smartphone
by geoshimomura / October 30, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

Thanks for your help... Found the app and installed in my phone. Now having problems trying to move files around..i.e. how do you "move" files from the internal memory to the SD card? Is there any "drag and drop" feature to easily merge a file(photo) into the "Photo" folder? Its easy to delete individual photos but I don't know how to transfer photos (from "Messaging, or text mail photos or Camera, etc.)to different folders in the internal memory or SD card. Appreciate tips from you all.

Collapse -
At the link I provided is a Video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2011 8:22 AM PDT

And one of the first things I saw was how to copy files from one place to another.

I fear your average Windows users will not be happy.
Bob

Collapse -
transferring photos
by Jessurban / December 5, 2012 6:02 PM PST

Go to google and type in "how to move photos from internal memory to the sd" on your kind of phone and depending on the link you pick they will tell you step by step i figerd out how to do this on my samsung galaxy s2 from a t-moble site

Collapse -
Android smartphone
by thinha2 / December 13, 2012 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: transferring photos

Many thanks. how do you "move" files from the internal memory to the SD card? Is there any "drag and drop" feature to easily merge a file(photo) into the "Photo" folder? Its easy to delete individual photos but I don't know how to transfer photos (from "Messaging, or text mail photos or Camera, etc.)to different folders in the internal memory or SD card. Appreciate tips from you all.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove advertising links which are prohibited in these forums on 12/14/2012 at 9:03 AM PT

Collapse -
Don't move.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Android smartphone

"one of the first things I saw was how to copy files from one place to another."

Then you can delete the old. Move is something I avoid if I don't want to lose files. I can only guess you have not learned this lesson.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Try other apps
by awesomeworld / December 14, 2012 2:42 PM PST

you can try apps like Dropbox,xCloud to upload your stuff to computer without using USB.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.