Windows 7

Question

Moving ALL Windows Event logs off of SSD

by Vylas / November 27, 2012 7:34 PM PST

I just recently bought my first brand new SSD and I'm thrilled with it. But owning one of these has created somewhat of a bitter taste and a sense of unease. Now I'm obsessively thinking about ways to stop or limit some writes to the drive that I feel are unimportant. The reason I'm on this mission is because I looked at my specific manufacturers toolbox to see details about the drive and I noticed that it has already accumulated over 5 billion writes so far. This thing is a little over a week old. So then I'm looking at my event logs and I'm thinking that every single one of these entries is a small write here and there and EVERYWHERE and it just never stops!! Then I tried to move the logs to my D:\ drive by modifying the settings within Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) and the major ones did move there, but then there are over a hundred different other log categories under windows and there were no group policy settings for those. I was inspired to start this thread by another thread regarding clearing all those log files with a simple bat file. That conversation is here http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-378338/delete-all-event-logs-at-once-in-windows-7/ They came up with a .bat file that does clean them all out with one swoop. I am not good with those things and I was hoping that modifying something small would enable those certain files ending in .evtx to be moved to a new location and registered within Windows. Otherwise it's a huge amount of time going through each one to change the location from within the Event Viewer. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving ALL Windows Event logs off of SSD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving ALL Windows Event logs off of SSD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About that SSD
by mchainmchain / November 28, 2012 2:56 PM PST

Issue with writes to the SSD is really not something you can control. Even setting the Event Log to a different location really requires knowledge and expertise only a computer scientist would have; and most cannot do what you have done so far.

Seems to me the real issue is not the total writes to the drive, but the knowledge of the ultimate failure of that drive. The only practical way to prepare for disaster is to use an imaging program compatible with your operating system; some of them are free.

In other words, use your computer for what it is designed to do, but be prepared for the worst.

Use an imaging program to back up your system to recover from serious malware infections, lost data, and damaged os's, as well as for dead SSD's or hard drives.

Worry less, work more.

Collapse -
Thanks for your reply
by Vylas / November 29, 2012 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: About that SSD

You gave me excellent advice and I'm taking it. I did more damage to myself messing with those things rather than just sitting back and researching what could actually (realistically) be done. I posted in another forum and I got a very similar response there. Don't worry, be happy was the general theme and I'm going to have to stick to that. I reversed the damage that I previously did and now I'm just going to let it go. And you know what's really funny? Say the SSD does take a dive a little sooner than expected..This drive has a 5 year warranty...SSD's will probably be going for .10 cents per GB by then and I'll just end up replacing it with a 2TB, and all of this will look really stupid in the end. Excellent advice on using Imaging software and that is all I'm going to do. Thanks again for the sanity check.

Collapse -
I feel like such an ***
by Vylas / November 30, 2012 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: About that SSD

I'm reading a review of my SSD and came across this little tidbit from this review http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/ocz-vector-256g-ssd-review-indilinx-barefoot-3-becomes-reality/2/

"Although typically, solid state drives might experience a drop in performance at some point, the Vector appears to be similar to only the Intel 520 and maintains steady state performance right from the get go. OCZ' proprietary advanced flash management also provides for the delivering of up to 20GB host writes per day for five years. This is reflected in the warranty where it is listed at five years or 36.5TB writes, whichever comes first." To anybody else who is considering changing the properties of Windows Error Logs or in depth tweaking to minimize Hard Drive writes for the purpose of extending the life of an OCZ Vertex 4......DON'T DO IT!! YOU WILL SPEND HOURS OUT OF YOUR LIFE CHANGING THIS AND IT'S NOT EVEN HELPING. 20GB of writes per day? I thought my 5GB of writes in one week was too much. This case is closed!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.