Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

moved to new computer - will I lose ITunes?

by cher_561 / November 6, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

Hi - will try to make this easy to understand:

I had ITUNES on Win XP, desktop.
all my selections have been downloaded to my IPOD

Have now purchased new laptop but had problems transferring
ITUNES library from old computer to new so just recreated Library from scratch on new laptop by copying my CD's but did not have all CD's as some were borrowed. In other words, I now have songs on my IPOD (and on old desktop) that I was not able to reload onto the Laptop.

I want to make sure that when I plug my IPOD (which now has all the songs on it from my desktop) into the laptop, I don't lose those that are not in my LAPTOP library.

Do I have to upload into the laptop from the IPOD those which have not been duplicated? Or make CD's of the songs on the desktop that I couldn't load in, and upload them to the laptop? Seems there'd be an easier way. Thanks for all your help and please be as specific as possible in what I have to do. I'm not tech-savy on ITUNES/IPOD issues. Thx, ag.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: moved to new computer - will I lose ITunes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: moved to new computer - will I lose ITunes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look at this document
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 12:31 AM PST

from Apple.
If you follow all the steps you will be able to transfer ALL of your tracks from the old machine to the new one.

Do NOT connect the iPod to the new machine before you have transferred all the tracks

Collapse -
update on transferring music to IPOD
by cher_561 / November 11, 2010 6:05 AM PST

I want to make sure I was clear and that I understand what will happen: Are you saying that if I follow those directions the entire library that was on my DESKTOP (NOT an APPLE) will be transferred to my LAPTOP (NOT AN APPLE) and I won't lose the selections I've since added to my LAPTOP but not yet downloaded to my IPOD? Do I have to do something special with the checks next to the selection or will it be automatic?

Collapse -
I'm saying that if you follow the instructions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2010 12:07 PM PST

exactly, you will end up with an exact copy of your original iTunes on your new machine.

Read ALL the instructions before you start this procedure.

Collapse -
import music from ipod to itunes
by Heata / November 25, 2010 9:46 PM PST

I started with a similar problem. Changed operating system and lost my music library. Is there any way to import all my songs on the ipod to itunes library?

Collapse -
Try iRip, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 10:18 PM PST

what did you do that made you lose your iTunes library.

Just changing OS's should not have caused a problem and, of course, you had a backup of your data.

You do backup your machine, don't you?

Collapse -
Ipod to Itunes
by Heata / November 26, 2010 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Try iRip, but

I didn't lose it. It was on the back up disc i created before changing OP system. I'm not very computer literate so the back up with itunes library on it became useless. I just would have thought it would have been possible to copy your music from your ipod to your itunes library but so far had no luck.

Collapse -
I gave you the answer to that question,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 26, 2010 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Ipod to Itunes

What did you upgrade from and to that caused this loss?

Was iTunes the only thing that was lost?

How did you make the iTunes backup?

Syncing of the iPod is one way only so DO NOT connect your iPod to your computer before you have transferred the tracks from the iPod to the computer. See my first post.
Connecting and syncing the iPod before you have moved the tracks will result in the loss of all the tracks on the iPod.

Collapse -
Ipod to computer
by Heata / November 26, 2010 5:08 AM PST

You mention transferring tracks from Ipod to computer. That is what I want to do and can not figure out how to. All the music is on my Ipod and I cant find a way to transfer it to itunes on my computer.

Collapse -
Not sure why you are not actually reading my posts, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 26, 2010 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: Ipod to computer

as you obviously are, here it is again.

Post #1

try iRIP

Collapse -
thanks for the information
by cher_561 / November 27, 2010 5:47 AM PST

Since I started this thread by asking the first question I want to assure everyone who has asked the same question that your advice worked! And thanks so much!

Collapse -
Nice to know and thanks for getting back to us.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 6:32 AM PST

Just to clarify,

Post #1 referred to my posts, but you knew that. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.