Audio & Video Software

Question

.Mov files turned into image files

by OakKay / February 16, 2012 4:15 AM PST

Is there a way of converting them back so I can have my small movies back. They are of my baby first year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .Mov files turned into image files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .Mov files turned into image files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: .move files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 16, 2012 4:22 AM PST

This is mysterious. Files don't change. Things to do:
1. Check creation and modification date of the files. Did they change?
2. Copy to your USB stick or external hard disk and look at them at another PC or laptop. What happens?
3. Compare with the version on your backup. Are they the same?

Speaking of backup. We use to say here "You only use what you didn't backup". But surely you did make a backup copy of these movies? Then nothing is lost.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Try doing nothing. Well next to nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2012 4:30 AM PST

Go get VLC PLAYER and see if VLC PLAYER can play them.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem ever since I downloaded VLC to my laptop
by alsatianFelix / March 3, 2013 1:04 AM PST

I used to have no problem moving iphone MOV files to my laptop. Then I downloaded VLC player and ever since then iphone MOV files get converted into IMG files that play at half speed, pixilated, missing frames, but sound is fine. Can't solve this problem.

Collapse -
I can see why folk can't solve this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 12:45 AM PST

Basic skills of removing software and setting file associations as well as system restore are now things folk consider advanced. There is a lot of free support out there but I hope folk that want to avoid the repair counters will reconsider learning the basics as well as avoiding year old posts.

Bob

Collapse -
If you don't want to help then move on.
by alsatianFelix / March 4, 2013 4:21 AM PST

Gee your answer makes me feel a lot better about losing the video of my son's first steps.

When people ask beginner questions about subjects I'm an expert at, I answer them courteously and at a helpful level. Or if I'm not asked directly, I ignore them if I don't have the time for it. I don't waste time trying to show off with snarky non-answers because, like in this case, the expert just comes off as a sanctimonious jerk.

Collapse -
My statement was to see where you stand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 4:33 AM PST

All skill levels arrive here. If you offer basic step by step to an expert they flame at you for not recognizing their skills. If you offer something higher level such as "did you check the associations?" to a beginner they may flame at you for giving them a non answer.

Your reply is fine with me but think if it will attract more help.

I'm beginning to think that many folk must get the iPad.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: img files, image files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 4:44 AM PST
http://filext.com/file-extension/IMG shows the .img filetype can be 7 different types. Which one did your movies so mysteriously change to? And how can an image play? In the usual terms, an image is picture that doesn't move or change or has sound. Just a pic.

In my answer to the original poster I asked 3 questions he didn't answer:
1. Check creation and modification date of the files. Did they change?
2. Copy to your USB stick or external hard disk and look at them at another PC or laptop. What happens?
3. Compare with the version on your backup. Are they the same?
But maybe you are willing to cooperate to solve your issue. He wasn't.

And, as I said in the same post (see above):
Speaking of backup. We use to say here "You only use what you didn't backup". But surely you did make a backup copy of these movies of your son's first steps? Then nothing is lost.

Kees
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.