Computer Help forum

Mouse won't move across screen-intermittently

by hayley3 / March 2, 2012 10:30 AM PST

At first I thought it was a virus but I've done several scans..some turned up nothing, some turned up a trojan and a few other things but mouse is still messed up.

I've reloaded the drivers. I'm using XP pro 64. The mouse worked fine for the first few's not that old and it works fine on the thin client pc I use for work.

I'm desperate. The mouse will not move. And then it will be fine. I've reset it. Turned it off and on. Moved receiver to a different usb port.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse won't move across screen-intermittently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse won't move across screen-intermittently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wired or wireless?
by Steven Haninger / March 2, 2012 7:25 PM PST

I'm thinking the mouse issue could be a symptom and not the problem. You might look to see if your keyboard is unresponsive at the same time. This usually means some other process has priority. I've also seen it to happen with hard drive issues. A drive that goes to sleep or has an intermittent cable connection can cause Windows to halt temporarily. Perhaps your event log would show something. You can clear it and then review it after the next mouse issue by noting the time of the occurrence. Wireless mice do weird things sometimes as well. Wired mice can have breaks inside the cable sheath as well.

Collapse -
Still working on this
by hayley3 / March 2, 2012 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Wired or wireless?

Thanks Steven for your reply. I did do a diagnostic startup today and the mouse worked fine. Really not much in msconfig besides Windows applications....otherwise epson, adobe, and ati.
Also my web pages take forever to load, ..saying loading and it's not my dsl connection. I'm now assuming the problems are related to the mouse issue.

I did a chkdsk of the hard drive and no errors to report. Not sure if my hard drive can go to sleep.

I am getting a VSS error in event log (Volume Shadow Copy Service) and a MPSampleSubmission error, but only the VSS error today.

Using Windows XP Pro 64. Windows just did a huge update a week or so ago.

Collapse -
Seems to be fixed
by hayley3 / March 3, 2012 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Still working on this

I read where google talk can interfere with mice, so I deleted it and then moved my usb headset and then disabled my wireless on my dlink router. One of those fixed it.

Also I figured out that seamonkey browser was causing my inability to load web pages so switched to google chrome and that solved that problem. Happy

Collapse -
Spoke too soon
by hayley3 / March 3, 2012 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Seems to be fixed

It appeared that later seamonkey was causing the problem but still doing it.

Collapse -
by hayley3 / March 10, 2012 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Spoke too soon

Was interference from my wireless keyboard...replaced it with a wired one and everything is fine now..odd but true. And that is why it worked on other pc..other pc used wired keyboard.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.