Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mouse/Touchpad help

by Skittlebrain / December 7, 2012 4:05 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron 1450 laptop, running Windows Vista.
A problem has developed mouse or touchpad, since I don't use an external mouse, has a mind of it's own. It is constantly showing the 'blue' as when one copies and pastes something and if the mouse arrow hovers over something it automatically clicks and goes there. I thought perhaps a virus but have ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and also SuperantiSpyware programs and still have the problem. I have AVG anti-virus and have also scanned for any virus's. I've not changed any mouse or touchpad settings so where this is coming from has been baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse/Touchpad help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse/Touchpad help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try an external mouse next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse/Touchpad help

Try an external and disable the pad for a test.

Collapse -
External mouse test
by Skittlebrain / December 7, 2012 8:21 AM PST

I tried the external mouse and still had the problem.

Collapse -
But did you ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 7, 2012 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: External mouse test

DISABLE the touchpad? Disabling it is an IMPORTANT element of the test.

Collapse -
Disabled test
by Skittlebrain / December 7, 2012 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: But did you ...

I repeated the test and made double sure I disabled the touchpad this time. Problem no longer seems to be there. Where do I go from here?

Collapse -
It's one of two things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Disabled test

I don't want to tell you the story of how one owner (a good paying client) was insistent that they never touched the pad. We had to rig up a video camera in close up mode and then had someone watch it.

We installed TOUCHFREEZE and that seemed to help and the video experience was necessary since they were so convinced it wasn't them.

The pad could be defective. So after you try TOUCHFREEZE see if you feel the need to get it fixed.

Collapse -
by Skittlebrain / December 7, 2012 10:12 PM PST

I'll try anything and I appreciate your input. I've had my laptop for three years and never had this problem until a few days ago when the local internet company had to access my computer remotely several times to set settings after they switched my bundle services from a modem to an MTA box. I've had the 'blue' highlight show up on screen at the simplest movement and when online anything the pointer stays on for longer than a second it automatically goes to. It's as if sometimes like you're watching someone remotely accessing your computer all over again as it has a mind of it's own.

Collapse -
At 3 years, I'm going with a failed touchpad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Touchpad

Most folk never fix it as the external mouse works.

Collapse -
by Skittlebrain / December 8, 2012 1:18 AM PST

I tend to agree with you on that Bob. I really appreciate all the input and advice from everyone.
Jenny Wink

Collapse -
by Willy / December 8, 2012 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Touchpad

More than likely if you can disable the touchpad and use the ext. mouse on a regular basis.there should be some key that's active for enable/disable the touchpad. You also look into the setting of the touchpad and/or mouse actions and possibly disable any "snap to" response if applicable. -OR- just play with it, within reason. Outside of physical h/w issue, sometimes crud just builds up within a keybd. or within the laptop or simply weaken kybd. from pounding, etc., stuff just happens. Also, a possible recent update may caused issue, so if you like re-install the laptop driver for the touchpad, just be sure to get the right one from your maker.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good Ideas
by Skittlebrain / December 8, 2012 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Settings

Thanks Willy, I will be sure and try all your suggestions. Really appreciate all the great ideas and tips!!
Jenny Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.