User Name MR-5A630AEF9F78\mr smart
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.16 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.94 GB
Page File Space 4.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I use a Wacom pen tablet as well as a mouse trademarked Illusion. Both are said to be compatable with XP. In the last three weeks I have noticed that the mouse suddenly freezes up. I checked in the device manager and found a message that the mouse reported a problem and windows stopped it. I restarted the system and the mouse worked. This occured a second time and this time the mouse stopped working altogether. I began using a fancy mouse trademarked Avon. This is a USB mouse that does not come with a CD. The mouse first referred too is a PS2 mouse. However the same thing now happens frequently with both the mouse and the pen tablet. Both tablet and mouse are connected at the same time. I am wondering whether I should use them one at a time or whether the USB port and the PS2 ports are now defective by reason of age and should be replaced.

I am thankful for any assistance with a view to solving the problem.

Standeb.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse recogintion problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse recogintion problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does Using Them One A Time Fix The Issue?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 8:41 AM PST

I can see where two separate items trying to control the mouse could be an issue.. Try them one at a time and see if it fixes things.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Mouse recogintion problem.
by standeb / February 1, 2013 9:21 AM PST

Hello Grif,

I haven't been around for a while reading random posts. You seem to be going great. Thank you for the reply. I will disconnect the tablet while 'am useing the mouse and vice versa because of the fact that I use the tablet just as much as the mouse as I deal with graphics more these last months. I will with the result.

Thanks again.

Best regards

standeb.

Collapse -
You can use multiple devices
by ChuckT / February 1, 2013 10:28 AM PST

You can use multiple mice, pens, pads and keyboards all at the same time. It is a bit weird if somehow one of the other input devices is bumped or touched when you aren't looking, though, since there is still just one focus point. I have multiple myself.

As for USB devices you can plug and unplug them at any time, with power on or not. Not so with the old PS2 plugged devices. Those may not get recognized if you plug them in when the computer is up and running. It shouldn't hurt the computer, just don't expect it to work.

As for your problem, since it happens with two different mice, I suspect the base Windows drivers of your installation or perhaps your USB hardware. Most mice do not require any special drivers in order to work for the typical motion detections. The default base drivers in Windows will generally work for typical mice functions. If your mouse has non-typical buttons then a driver will be needed to get those functions recognized. As for a pen or tablet I would expect a driver to be needed.

But your issue is more than just one device, that's why I suspect hardware more than anything.

Collapse -
Mouse recogintion problem. by standeb
by standeb / February 2, 2013 12:28 AM PST

Hi ChuckT

Thank you for you reply, Permit me to say that I tried testing by way of disconnection of the pen tablet and since then the mouse performed smoothely. So now I would have the problem of disconnecting and re-connection each of them and vice versa. I agree with you that I should be able to use both at the same time as you would notice in initial post I was thinking that the USB port and/or PS2 port may be defective by reason of age or wear and tear and otherwise, so I feel that your idea of drivers and hardware is worth checking. But how do you diagnose that? Windows help and support does not give you so much info. I would dearly need some instruction on how this is done so I can do it myself or I would have to call in a techie which I abhor because of the shoddy work they do and the charge of exorbant fees. And I ought to say here that my version of XP does not have a repair feature. Can you advise?

Thanking you for you kind consideration.

standeb.

Collapse -
Replacing the base USB drivers
by ChuckT / February 2, 2013 4:23 AM PST

From what I can determine it sounds like there is some sort of conflict your computer has when both (pen-pad and mouse) are plugged in at the same time.

Hmmmm, the very first thing I would do is go to the manufacture's website and download the latest drivers they have for your product. Don't install them yet, just get them into one easy to find location ("E2FL").

Then, one way to replace the drivers is to just remove the device from your current Windows setup. (Not from the E2FL mentioned above, we need those.)

To remove the device, first I would unplug that device (it just makes it simpler to understand).
If you still need some sort of input device mouse or keyboard, see if you can find/buy/borrow a very cheap USB device for temporary use) and plug it in.
Then, just start up your Device Manager and look through your list of input devices and right-click and select remove. If you are not using that device at the time, you will not even know anything changed, it just won't work. When you go to remove it, you will be asked if you want to additionally want to remove the drivers. Since you have the drivers in the E2FL, then sure, remove the drivers that Windows is asking you about.

Do that for any of the other devices you think may be causing you conflict. Chances are you will not be seeing anything different, for the moment, at least not if you are using any of those devices.

Then just reboot your computer. As your computer starts up, if there are any devices found that don't have drivers connected to them, Windows will locate it (if it can) from some hidden Windows store of drivers that it has in its innards. You don't need to know where, and I don't know if I can even tell you, anyway.

If there are any devices that Windows detects, and can't find in its hidden trove of drivers, it will ask you if you know where they are. Remember, I asked you to unplug all those problematic devices, and so this isn't something I expect you to see right now, anyway. But, on the chance that you didn't follow my advice, just point to the E2FL.

OK, assuming your computer started up, and no odd startup messages happened; just plug one of those devices in. Windows will go through its attempts to try and locate the best driver it can from its hidden trove, and if it can't locate something it will then ask you if you know where the proper driver might be. That's when you point it to the E2FL.

Doing that, one at a time, for any other devices you had a problem with, might just get you past your problems. At least I hope.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.