Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Mouse pointer out of control. HELP!!!!!

by jfpound / February 7, 2005 9:11 AM PST

OK I have a weird problem. A few days ago I clicked on a picture of a dog in google and it took me to some strange forign web site and my mouse went crazy. It moves any direction other than the one I want it to go. I reboot the machine and it's OK until I do anything on the internet. I have a MS optical USB mouse, I tried a PS2 mouse with the same result. I reintsalled mouse drivers, virus scan, trojanhunter, adaware, nothing.
What else can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse pointer out of control. HELP!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse pointer out of control. HELP!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mouse Problems
by CGB710 / February 7, 2005 9:56 AM PST

You probably did this but did you go to control panel and see if there is any thing weird in there.
Also, did you remove all the programs before you rebooted.
And of course if you have Win XP, you should be able to do a system restore previous to the problem.
Good luck.
And just a curiosity what sort of surface are you using your mouse on. I found that if mine was on a desk calendar pad or something with writing on it, I had a similar problem with arrow jumping around.

Collapse -
Mouse Problems
by jw1ls5n0129 / May 6, 2005 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Mouse Problems

I use a Saitek mouse, a mouse made by people that make computer arms and are good and very clever people. now if I have my hand on the mouse for a long time then it will start to move on its own.I put it down to the fact that there is some people who can not wear a watch, or if they do it stops.I do not cover the mouse with my hand now for long,and this has cured it.people do tend to keep their hand on the mouse and they just can not help it even when they are not using it.so is it to do with the electric in the body? hope this helps .Yohan

Collapse -
Sounds like a prank LOL...
by woolworths / May 6, 2005 6:42 PM PDT

Do you work somewhere where there are lots of computers close together? This is something we used to do at school. Simply swap over the mouse cables to the computers, and you instantly gain control of the computer next to yours.

Collapse -
I once downloaded a program to my Hubby's PC that was called
by Glenda / May 14, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

Crazy mouse:) I had to take it off when he almost threw the mouse across the room! He was getting madder and madder as I sat here giggling my head off!!

As to the original question, does the mouse need to be cleaned? Or the area that it sits on?

Collapse -
RUNAWAY MOUSE
by annhere / May 9, 2005 6:07 AM PDT

I have trouble with this occassionally too - and it just happened. I agree that keeping the hand on too long may be a cause. Also, I find that it helps if I remove the ball from the track ball mouse and dust it off with a soft cloth. Another cure is to disconnect from the internet. Sometimes I forget to exit from web pages and this seems to be a cause for an erratic mouse. It is not necessary to stop all internet traffic, just to have no web pages open while working on other programs.

Ann.

Collapse -
Drunken mouse
by kegbrown / May 14, 2005 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: RUNAWAY MOUSE

Besides a dirty ball mechanical mice also tend to build up a layer of fibrous dirt on the wheels inside. When you take the ball out, see if there is a grey stripe running around each wheel. If there is, clean them off by gently scraping off the stripe with a pocket knife. If that was the problem, it will be cured.

Collapse -
My mose does is out of control also HELP!!
by cyberajnabee / May 10, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

I have tried every thing, changes my mouse, did virus scans, spyware scans, avg antivirus, avast ... optical mose, scroll wheel mouse but the cursor starts jerking again and again. Once in a while it starts clicking either on the start menu or the "X" on the top of the screen, if i move it meanwhile he is going through his jerks (the mouse) it clicks everything that is in its way. I use windows XP Pro SP2 and have the latest spyware, antivirus and firewall but nothing helps. BTW I am using a scroll mouse right now. I will really appreciate your help. P.S. it looks to me like a virus

Collapse -
Optical mouse - solution
by altini_s1 / May 16, 2005 8:29 AM PDT

I had same problem With my optical mouse: The cursor jumping from a corner to another.
Finally i attachet on my desk a foil with a pattern presset on it - now it works fine !!
You can Press it in a transparency (for laser!)in your laser printer from Microsoft word:Insert shape (big rectangular), format autoshape, fill effects, pattern.
Select the finest one!

Collapse -
HUH?
by maggietoo9 / May 5, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

What?

Collapse -
mose out of control.
by lenbar_2001 / October 9, 2005 7:32 PM PDT

if its a optical mouse change the mousepad.

Collapse -
mouse out of control
by dahjst / October 20, 2005 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: mose out of control.

Hi
You cannot use an optical mouse on an uneven surface such as glass or some mouse pads.
Use it directly on your desk or put a sheet of white paper under it.
Try this, and this may stabilize your mouse and eliminate the erratic behaviour.
Joe

Collapse -
Mouspointer virus
by MstMartin / July 13, 2007 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: mouse out of control

I have this virus! Ny Fsecure can't remove it! But I have found the virus file. The virus was in mine Saitek X52 map And start when I fly! I did this! Ctrl+Alt+Del then I choose Processis Looked at the list after anything suspicius! It was a hard work! But don't give up! If I saw any curios I just deleted the process and wright down the program name. You will be warned but thats ok! For every process I deleted I studied th mousepointer and wow its stopped! Then I searched for that file on disk and just deleted it. It works but came back with a new name. SERVICE~1.EXE is one name the process can have. Just delete it and searh it on disk! The size is 4 604 kB in this case that will help you when it changes its name! I'm just doing this now! I could not find the file!

Try it!
Per Lindstrom

Collapse -
Joe's solution worked
by eskiefan / November 21, 2007 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: mouse out of control

I had runaway mouse and found this forum. So much good information in this thread for different possibilities. I tried the simplest first: put a piece of plain paper under the mouse to see if the (3M) mousepad surface was the problem. Problem went away with the paper underneath. Then for a more permanent solution, I removed the stuck-on surface from the mousepad which left just fabric underneath. Mouse is now very well behaved. I guess I was lucky it was the simplest solution.

Thanks so much, Joe, and to everyone on the thread for some great help!

Collapse -
Go to Control Panel > Mouse...
by jnsturges / April 30, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

Some sloppy update, patch or program modified your mouse settings, I'll bet.

Go to Control Panel > Mouse and click on the Pointer Options Tab. Uncheck all the Check Boxes.

That should fix it.

Note: If your computer is a laptop, you may have to disable your Touch Pad when using an external mouse, also in Control Panel > Mouse.

Hope this helps.

Sturg

Collapse -
runaway mouse
by maurs54 / December 21, 2008 4:52 AM PST

I went to control panel and unchecked all in mouse pointers and that fixed my erratic mouse pointer. Thanks for your help

Collapse -
mouse dirt
by jojo2430 / May 6, 2005 11:40 PM PDT

Whenever my mouse won't act like it is supposed to, ( I have a regular run of the mill mouse ( microsoft intellimouse ) that came with my system, I take off the cover, remove the ball and clean the pad fuzz off the black rolling bars with tweezers and put alcohol on a q-tip and wipe them. Works perfect every time, I have had the same mouse since 2001. I even take the cover off the tower and brush the lint off the fans with a soft paintbrush occassionally.just a little maintenance you might think about if all else fails.

Collapse -
JoJo, It is not Mouse dirt?
by taboma / April 26, 2006 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: mouse dirt

?its Mouse ****! Put pampers on the darn thing!
Get rid of the ball and get an optical mouse or a seeing eye dog!
Glad to help on this issue. :

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mouse Moving by it's Self IS Virus.Removal Available online
by jgfr22 / April 30, 2006 8:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
MS optical mouse
by HDELANEY / April 30, 2006 8:51 PM PDT

I purchsed the same mouse and have the same prblem. It only happens at certain times. I can take my hand off the mouse and it wonders by itself, but does not seem to be going in any particular direction,just wonders in a straight line to the left.

Collapse -
RE: Skittering Mouse...
by auntetr / September 1, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

You most likely have a new pet bug, but before you commit hari-kari, try checking the connector plug for your mouse and keyboard. If they are loose, but connected, they can do that jumping around thing too.

Collapse -
Mouse out of Control
by Gary Redman / March 4, 2005 2:59 PM PST

I have the same mouse out of control problem.
Did you find a solution and if so could you tel me how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Gary

Collapse -
hold down the ALT key.....
by ianstewart / March 15, 2005 11:36 PM PST

Hi all,
I have the same problem. McAfee Virus scan did warn me last week of a trojan while I was on the web. I just clicked "continue" and ignored it thinking McAfee would block whatever was happening.

I've discovered by accident, if I hold down the ALT key I get control of the pointer.....weird.

My pointer moves to the top right hand corner and bottom left corner (start button), this seems to happen whenever I type. I've tried everything, stopping processes, scans etc. My touch pad is the same, so its not the mouse itself. Someone please help, I can'tget any work done...

Collapse -
Similar problem - did you find anything
by mdean13616 / April 15, 2005 6:48 AM PDT

I have a similar problem but not necessarily while typing. Pointer goes to upper right and lower left -
Did you get any help?

Collapse -
Re: Mouse Pointer Out of Control. HELP!!!!
by Jamjar / May 6, 2005 2:37 AM PDT

I had the same problem. It was as though the mouse had a mind of its own. It turned out after running Hijack This that I had the peper trojan. It shows up in your Hijack This log as a 14 character value starting with a number. There are several methods to remove it using regedit or Hijack This or download tools. Those with more experience can help you with that.

Collapse -
cursor with a mind of its own
by kinkycat / May 6, 2005 9:41 AM PDT

This can happen if the 'snap to' feature of the Microsoft Intelli Type software is enabled.
Not sure if this applies to your mouse but here's what to do anyway because it may help someone else.

To resolve the problem, disable the 'snap to' feature, download and install the updated pointer files from the Microsoft download centre. as follows.

1. press CTRL+ESC to open the start menu.
2. Use the up arrow key to select 'settings', press the right arrow key to select 'control panel', and press enter.
3. Use the arrow keys to select the keyboard icon, and press enter.
4. Press SHIFT+TAB, press right arrow, and then press right arrow to select the pointer activity tab.
5. Press TAB three times, and then press Space Bar to clear the 'Snap pointer to default button in dialog boxes' check box.
6. Press TAB twice, and then press Enter.
7. Close the control panel.
8. Download and install the '11p32upd.exe' file from the Microsoft download centre.
After the download has been installed, you can use the mouse tool in control panel to re-enable the 'Snap to' feature.

I had this problem to solve and found the answer on the Microsoft support site.
Hope this helps with your problem.

Collapse -
kinkycat, Nice solution.
by taboma / April 26, 2006 3:38 PM PDT

However, does this person have cat hairs at the root of his problem?
May have cat hairs covering the optical mouse.
Maybe his cat is attacking the mouse, biting into the cord and fraying the wire. If it is an optical mouse, the cat is just playing with it eye to eye.
Any thoughts kinkycat? :

Collapse -
Moving mice - static feet
by Jelly Baby / October 10, 2005 2:46 AM PDT

Hi all

The "trackpad" in the post by Ian rang a bell - I've had problems with runaway cursors in the past with a couple of laptops and eventually, after going through the "is it a virus" stuff I discoverd it was a static problem - If I earthed myself the problem disapeared for a while untill it gradually came back as static built up again. I don't think I've ever seen it as a problem on a desktop but it might explain some of the behavior with laptops and an active tracpad - whether there is a mouse plugged in or not.

Collapse -
I too have the same problem!
by varungm / April 4, 2012 7:32 PM PDT

Its not really a problem with external mouse, it happens with touch pad too. The mouse goes crazy, and stats clicking things - most of the time on the start button. Some times it keeps the left button pressed.. ettc.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
The best way to go..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 4, 2012 10:27 PM PDT

varungm..

You posted in a thread which was created 7 years ago. Due to its many pages (and posts) it's doubtful anyone will see your post, in order to offer any help.

I would suggest starting a thread of your own at our "Laptop Troubleshooting Forum. No doubt, you will get the help you need. Wink

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
I had a similar problem
by omerta2177 / March 16, 2005 12:01 AM PST

I installed Hijack This on my GFs computer and then found out I had to copy it and place it in it's own folder in my documents. Well during the process of doing this something happened. My mouse started going crazy and the top left corner icon was the only program that would open no matter what I clicked on. Then I would go down to the start menu and the thing would just scroll up and down like crazy. I took the mouse out and put it back in, I rebooted, I did everything simple I could think of. I then got control again only to have it start up again. Well I did a cleanup and ran some scans and finally regained control. I to this day have no clue what the heck happened. Luckilly she was not there wile this happened or she would have beat me with the keyboard but anyway does anyone know why or what might be causing this sort of thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.