Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mouse not showing up in device manager

by lshah81 / July 5, 2004 2:54 PM PDT

So my mouse is not showing up installed on my computer. It's an old optical Microsoft Intellimouse. It's been working since I installed it on this computer(2 years ago). I have tried removing the mouse, shutting down then plugging it back in, but when I start up it still doesn't show up. It just all of a sudden uninstalled. I tried restoring my computer, using restore points, to a few days ago when it was working but no luck. I also tried going to Microsoft's website and installing the intellipoint software but again no luck. In my Device manager, there is no mouse or pointing device subsection. When I try to use an old mouse I have lying around it works again. Does this just mean that the Intellipoint Mouse is broken? Should I just buy a new mouse? Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse not showing up in device manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse not showing up in device manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WAG....
by FrankQTran / July 5, 2004 3:31 PM PDT

Time to change the batteries for your mouse?

Regards,

Collapse -
Re: WAG....
by lshah81 / July 5, 2004 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: WAG....

There are no batteries in the optical mouse. I believe it's powered by the computer itself.

Collapse -
then....
by FrankQTran / July 5, 2004 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: WAG....

How about the brand and model of that optical mouse?

I haven't seen any optical mouse powered by computer itself.

Regards,

Collapse -
Re: Mouse not showing up in device manager
by Cetin Denislam / July 5, 2004 7:48 PM PDT

MS had a problem with Intellimouse Opical. They had a page titled "Optical Mouse Replacement" (actually page is vanished, "the page no longer exists" message) where they described some problems. They'd change it if less than 1 year bought and if the end user's location was in North America.

From what you described, it sounds that your mouse it's broken. One comment: you didn't tell what was its type.

Finally, if I look at one new sealed MS Intellimouse Opical, it's PS/2 or USB and Made in China.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Mouse not showing up in device manager
by lshah81 / July 6, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

On the back of the mouse it says "Intellimouse w/ IntelliEye 1.0 USB and PS/2 Compatible Made in Mexico" It's about 4 years old. Is it just time to buy a new mouse?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try the MS mouse on another PC. If broken, that's it
by Cetin Denislam / July 6, 2004 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Try the MS mouse on another PC. If broken, that's i
by lshah81 / July 6, 2004 8:43 AM PDT

Tried it in another PC. Looks like the mouse is totally dead. Thanks for everyone's help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.