Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Mouse moves on its own

by ianstewart / March 15, 2005 9:31 PM PST

I've tried everything. Have up to date Mcafee virus scan installed. My mouse moves to top right or bottom left of screen on its own. Seems to happen when I use the keyboard. Looked at everything in Process Monitor.
Help.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse moves on its own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse moves on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My oldest optical mouse does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2005 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Mouse moves on its own

It's just time to replace that one...

Collapse -
Hi ianstewart
by roddy32 / March 15, 2005 10:08 PM PST

A few questions. You said "I've tried everything". What is "everything"? Is it an optical mouse or a trackball mouse? Is it wireless? You said "Seems to happen when I use the keyboard". Is it a combo unit where the keyboard and mouse came together? I doubt if it is malware causing this but you said you did a virus scan. Did you also to adware and spyware scans? Have you tried another mouse? Also, please follow the forum tip that was right above the box the you put your subject in.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
Hi
by ianstewart / March 15, 2005 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Hi ianstewart

Its a trackball. Its a new dell inspiron laptop with a touch pad. If I remove my usb mouse and use the touch pad, its still the same. Its XP. I run McAfee virusscan. Downloaded the latest definitions - no result. Ran Spyware - no result. Checked all running processes - all were legit (running in C:\ Windows\sys32 etc. Uninstalled an IBM Via Voice voice recognition programme (the only stuff I've installed in the last month). I did get a warning from my virus scan 2 weeks ago about a Trojan when I was on the web. I ignored this (Clicked "continue what I was doing" in the McAfee warning box) - thinking McAfee would protect me. Don't know if this the problem or not.
Also I connect to the internet over wireless broadband.
I read the document you refer to and tried the suggestions - no result bar 9 cookies which I removed.

Collapse -
Not sure what you
by roddy32 / March 15, 2005 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Hi

mean by "Ran Spyware - no result". That still doesn't tell us exactly what you scanned with besides McAfee which doesn't remove very much in the way of spyware or adware and only a few trojans. I still do not think that it is a malware problem except for the fact you you mentioned the trojan from a couple of weeks ago. What I would do is download these programs, check them for updates and scan with them and see if any on them find anything. They are all free except for the trojan removers but you can get a 30 trial with them.

Spybot S&D (download, check for updates, read the tutorial and scan often, it also does some blocking)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Ad-Aware SE (a scanner, download, check for updates, read the directions and scan.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

cwshredder (stand alone unit)(another small scanner for certain things, ALL other windows should be closed)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Download anti-trojan (any of the following)

The Cleaner Pro 30 days trial - http://www.moosoft.com

TrojanHunter - http://www.misec.net/ (trial)

Also do an online scan at one or all of these.
Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

PandaActivescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Collapse -
Try disabling the touchpad
by a__l__a__n / March 16, 2005 12:23 AM PST

Touchpads on Dell laptops are notorious for this problem. A slight vibration caused by the disk drive causes the touchpad to move the mouse. See if you can disable the touchpad (From right mouse button menu on the My Computer icon, Manage, device manager) or from the Mouse icon in the control panel.

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion.
by ianstewart / March 16, 2005 12:44 AM PST

I tried this alredy with no result. Keep the ideas coming. Currently scanning with Housecall from Trend Micro. Will keep you posted...

Collapse -
by art-666 / March 17, 2005 8:06 PM PST

I had this problem and it was bright sun light,
it some times stoped the mouse moving up/down, right/left or moved the mouse.

Collapse -
Mouse Cursor Creep
by uncapher / March 17, 2005 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: ..

Try Googling for more info. I had this problem about a year ago and it turned out to be a mouse setting in (I believe) the Control Panel. I changed the setting, and the problem went away never to return. Sorry, but that's all I remember about it.

Collapse -
have you try to remove all the drivers?
by Melati Hitam / January 18, 2006 3:22 PM PST

and let windows reinstall it?

Then you may reinstall your mouse driver if necessary.

Other possibilty, even the USB cable/port can be the problem...

But please be aware that MANY wireless devices (mouse in this matter) are known to move by itself, and can get interference from any other things around it.

Beside the Mouse Pad also a factor (shiny and colorfull pad is the worst for optical mouse)

Collapse -
Ian Srewart
by tomron / February 5, 2006 9:07 PM PST

Try this

In windows xp go into start menu, then into control panel then click on appearance and themes, then move your mouse over to mouse pointers click on it , uncheck "enhance pointer precision, and click apply, that will stop the mouse from acting crazy, this will work with dell mouse pointers and most.

Tom

Collapse -
This worked for me!
by cabowabo / February 5, 2006 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ian Srewart

Thanks Ian for this suggestion as it worked for me. I have a Dell XPS (first generation) almost 3 years old running XP Pro and a wired optical Dell (Logitech) mouse which came with the system.

I unchecked the box for enhanced pointer precision and no more "moving on its own" mouse!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome,but you can call me Tom
by tomron / February 6, 2006 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: This worked for me!
Collapse -
Mouse moving to top right or bottom left corner
by ben2025 / December 30, 2008 6:17 AM PST

Tom Ian, what ever you name is thanks so much. I had:
replaced the mouse.
useded different mouse pads, no mouse pad.
used touch pad.
rolled back the driver.
rebooted.
I was ready to pull my hair out.
Thanks again!

Collapse -
Mouse creep
by dbrast / June 16, 2009 4:42 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice, Tom. I just implemented it. Based on what you said and what the feedback was, I'm confident it will work.

Collapse -
windows 7
by antv311 / June 10, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Mouse creep

This also works for windows 7 the only thing i would add is to remind everyone to restart the computer after, applying this solution.

Collapse -
Many Thanks for the wonderful solution
by TPRenu / August 27, 2010 7:21 PM PDT

The cursor in my Dell laptop Inspiron kept on moving automatically.
Somehow with great difficulty I managed to uncheck "Enhance pointer precision".
It worked out fabulous.
Saved a great deal of my time and money.I wantedto express my gratitude.
Thanks a million.
Renu

Collapse -
Insanely easy cure for Trackball wandering cursor
by lodave / December 20, 2009 6:05 PM PST

Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan
Early today the cursor got a mind of its own, wandering across, up, down, diagonally, at random. ? "Malware!" I think. After hours of efforts to find the cause and cure, running scans, even using ERDNT to restore system to yesterday, nothing worked. After reading this thread, esp. the part about mousepad colors, an inspiration (this takes a logic leap: check the trackball itself [DOH!]. Popped it out and found a tiny thin piece of Kleenex covering most of the laser window! Blew it out, then cleaned the window carefully, and voila! The cursor is back to normal!
This is just to remind everyone how easy it is to overlook the most obvious things. Do the simplest fix first. Don't overlook routine cleanliness.

Collapse -
Mouse moves on its own
by 440577 / February 5, 2006 4:54 PM PST
In reply to: Hi ianstewart

I had this problem and it was resolved by changing the mouse and reinstalling S/W

Collapse -
RE: Mouse moves on its own
by Berfert / March 17, 2005 9:50 PM PST

in control panel open the mouse app look for "enhance pointer precision" and turn it off. This fixed mine and I didn?t even have to buy a new mouse.

Collapse -
bump - great easy fix, thanks!
by Techette / February 2, 2006 12:02 AM PST

The unchecking "enhanced precision" worked for me...thanks, Berfert!

Collapse -
Same Problem Fixed For Now
by akareload / March 17, 2005 11:31 PM PST

I am also running A Dell Inspiron and for several weeks the Logitech Wireless USB 2.0 TrackBall Mouse and Keyboard worked well. The Wireless connect point was connected to the Dell via a USB Hub.
Then without warning, the cursor started moving on its own or not releasing an icon if changing between icons. My Touchpad also stopped working. When shutting down I would get a message stating SOMETHING could not close because it was still in use, although nothing I knew of was active. I did everything that has been suggested with no luck. Dell suggested I RUN MSCONFIG STARTUP and disable everything and reboot. This brought back my touchpad use. I then enabled things that I needed or knew were not a conflict. While this was informative it did not pinpoint the problem. When I reinstalled the USB Hub with the wireless access point attached the problem reappeared.
Isolating the mouse problem, I went back to the Wired Keyboard via USB hub and the Wiresless mouse and so far so good. The Wired Keyboard and Wireless access point are now in seperate ports on the USB hub.
It seemed to be a conflict between the two wireless devices and the touchpad.

Collapse -
Sometimes the answer is even simpler....
by JoAnneMac / March 17, 2005 11:43 PM PST

I have found that with the optical mice, the choice of a mouse pad (or not) can create a similar problem. Depending on the color shading of the mouse pad, the mouse "jumps" to different areas on the desktop. Simply changing the mouse pad, can fix.

I realize that this is the not the answer to the original writers question, since they had a track ball... but I thought I'd mention it before someone ends up spending hours with msconfig.

Collapse -
Similar problem
by jazzkramer / June 14, 2005 9:12 PM PDT

Hi,

I have a similar/different problem:

I own a Dell Latitude C series PIII 750 running win Xp.
I have the Touch pad and no external mouse connected.
I have the touch pad driver installed.

The problem is:

The Left Button at random times begins to continuosly click. When it happens it's impossible to work.

I tried to disable the buttons but it's the same, I tried to visualize the pad by the sort of ''pad pressure software'' included with the driver and it seems it's not the pad. So:

is it a virus?

I scanned by Norton and AD-Aware and Spybot (updated) and they find no problems...

Any ideas? Maybe is the same Dell software problem?

Thank you, jazzkramer

Collapse -
It does not sound like
by roddy32 / June 14, 2005 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem

any kind of virus issue to me. If you search CNET, you'll find hundreds of threads about mouse problems but more so in the Computer Help forum and the XP forum than in here. Personally I have never used a TouchPad so I would not have a clue as to how to help you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) most likely, yours is hardware problem.
by Melati Hitam / January 18, 2006 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Similar problem
Collapse -
Suggest Run Spybot ! Fix 57 Folders of BackWeb in....
by tobeach / January 18, 2006 1:46 PM PST

Logitecs files. Runnng in background to call home. Hub could also play a part. Happy

Collapse -
Do you fix this problem in the end?
by avmad / December 18, 2005 2:52 AM PST

I seem to have an identical issue Sad

Thx

Julian

Collapse -
Longtech
by Maisie663 / December 19, 2005 12:27 AM PST

I have used Longtech Mouse for several years and they seem to do that, I have not considered it a problem, have tried the Dell that came with computor,it did not do it. Not concered about it--got this far--going farther. Good Luck

Collapse -
Re: did you fix this problem in the end
by readingsteve / January 17, 2006 11:25 PM PST

Switching off the ''Enhance Pointer Position'' in the mouse section of Control Panel seemed to fix this problem for me.

Collapse -
had the same problem
by sp8smate / February 5, 2006 6:24 PM PST

I had the same problem since I got a Belkin keyboard/mouse combo. My mouse would go crazy and disappear.
I have switched of the ''Enhance Pointer Position'' and it has fixed my mouse as well

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.