Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mouse & Keyboard Don't Respond in Normal Mode

by jontwatkins / October 3, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

Hello all- big problem here.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop running on Windows XP Home.

2 days ago I rebooted the machine & then the problem started. My mouse and keyboard are EXTREMELY slow to respond, if they do at all. It's almost like some program is running and just taking all the system resources up.

When I log in using Safe Mode - everything works just fine, which tells me it's not a driver issue. Anyone agree or disagree?

I paid my $35 to Microsoft and got, well, no help in my opinion. It took 1 1/2 hours for the tech to tell me use MSCONFIG to disble start-up (didn't work), create a new account and try to log-in (didn't work), and use System Restore (didn't work as I had no restore points for whatever reason).

So, I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any advice at all about what to try?

I desperately need to run it in normal mode, and quick, I have a major presentation in 2 days I need to use it for.

I dont think its a virus either. My scan didnt catch anything.

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse & Keyboard Don't Respond in Normal Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse & Keyboard Don't Respond in Normal Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Software Issue
by FallenHoney / October 4, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

As you seem to have discovered already, your problem is a software issue.

Try booting into safe mode and running MSCONFIG.

Click Start-Run then type MSCONFIG and click OK.

Click the startup tab and click the button to disable all. Then click ok and restart when prompted to do so. Boot normally and see if you still have the problem. If not, then return to MSCONFIG and start enabling items one at a time until you hit on the one causing the problems.

You should also note that your issue could be spyware/virus related. You might try getting Adaware AND Spybot search and destroy. Run them both and see what they find.

Collapse -
Software issue
by aboldan / June 3, 2009 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Software Issue

I'd like to add a few more details:
- a mouse that is connected through the USB port works ok,
- I looked in Task Manager. No task seems to take much CPU. I suspect that the computer is either waiting for something before scanning the mouse and the keyboard, or that scanning of the keyboard is too slow.
- I read somewhere that the mouse pad is connected to the computer through a PS/2 connection (probably a bus connector). Probably the keyboard is also connected this way.

If I keep a key pressed for a longer time (between 1 and 3 seconds), the letter shows up on screen. This applies to all keystrokes, including combinations like ctrl-tab, or even ctrl-alt-del.

Collapse -
Slow Mouse and Keyboard Response
by kwkid / October 4, 2006 1:49 PM PDT

You might also want to CTRL+ALT+DEL when you are running in normal load. Click on the processes tab and try and identify which process is using so much CPU time. Anything other than idle should be very low values if the computer is just sitting there. Post back your results and hopefully we can come up with some ideas.

Collapse -
Do not reinstall OS
by Chaos_1000 / March 5, 2008 3:28 AM PST

I have the EXACT same issue myself and I used the same steps but couldn't figure it out so I used my Acer recovery CDs to erase and reinstall the OS to no avail. I'll keep more info posted, next step might be to revert to factory RAM (Ironically enough I work for Apple lol)

Collapse -
by aboldan / June 2, 2009 1:48 PM PDT

I have the same problem now, a year and a half after yours. Same Acer Aspire 3003 Laptop, legal XP Home. It works in Safe mode, in normal mode the keyboard is very slow, the mouse pad is very slow. An attached USB mouse works ok. I also tried antivirus, MAM anti-malware, Windows Defender, Ad-aware. I ran Norton Removal Tool. Nothing helped. Since you never posted again for more than a year, I hope you fixed it. How?

My e-mail is, but I am monitoring/tracking this thread, so better answer here. PLEASE!

Collapse -
by aboldan / June 3, 2009 6:06 AM PDT

I am happy to report the happy ending Happy I did some more research, and on the 6-th page of Google links, I found:

I tried and it works. What did I do? I removed the battery and left only the power supply converter.

Now, I am going to investigate to see if there is a problem with the Power monitoring software... Anyway, I know that lately the battery was kind of low... Perhaps I will need to buy a new one. And perhaps a more powerful one...

Collapse -
Good find. And well discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

Research how some turn off ACPI to get around the battery failure.

The reason is technical and not a design flaw. It's just the battery is taxing the power supply and the keyboard controller chip suffers.

Collapse -
Good find. And well discussed.
by aboldan / June 3, 2009 1:18 PM PDT

I still don't understand. Even if the bad battery is plugged, there is power coming from the adapter. Shouldn't this override/bypass the battery?

And another thing. I tried to connect an external keyboard to the USB port. It works, even with the bad battery in, same as the external mouse.

Collapse -
Now you've left me confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2009 9:13 PM PDT

You state you fixed it by removing the battery and then appear to have some other issue. But what issue?

As to why this battery affects the keyboard issue happens I can't pack a course in how things work here. But you did find the issue that is out that and I wanted to toss out the ACPI word so you might complete the story.

The USB keyboard uses another interface other than the internal. Let's keep it simple as that.

Collapse -
Now you've left me confused
by aboldan / June 5, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

No, there is no other issue after removing the battery. I just wish that other people in this frustrating situation will find this discussion...

Collapse -
I had this issue too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2009 2:13 AM PDT

Luckily I replaced the failing laptop battery and it is fixed.

Maybe you are hoping for a way around the battery? If so, research your issue but look to adding the acronym ACPI BATTERY.

Example search -> finds this nugget.

"Anyway, this is what you do:

Go to the Control Panel. Go to System. Go to hardware, and to Hardware manager (free translated, it is the panel where you see all the hardware that is installed on your machine). Expand the 'battery' tab. Disable the 'battery that complies with Microsoft ACPI module'. Do not remove it, because Windows automaticly re

Collapse -
Final thanks to Bob
by aboldan / June 6, 2009 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I had this issue too.
Collapse -
This issue is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2009 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Final thanks to Bob

Not a big one so one has to say all the right words for me or a few others to recall what is going on. Since replacing the battery with a good one fixes it then that's the fix. The workaround has to be undone when the new battery arrives.

However the workaround carries with it a danger. Here it is. The failing battery taxes the charging circuits more and runs the risk of causing a failure there. Instead of the battery you now have a dead laptop which needs a new mainboard and a new battery.

This issue doesn't happen 100% of the time and in my limited experience appears to happen in the single digit percent and only on the really bad batteries where they hold just single digit minutes of run time.

Even if there was a single place for such arcana I think some would call it rubbish. Much like the lessons learned about internal wifi card problems.

Collapse -
Same problems on a HP Laptop running VISTA Home Premium
by tigerwizards / January 17, 2010 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: This issue is

Bob and All,

I am having the same slow keyboard and mouse behavior as the one described in this thread. I am running VISTA Home Premium on an HP dv6833 Laptop. Using a Bluetooth keyboard and Laser wireless mouse. The touch pad of the keyboard behave the same as the MS Mouse 6000. As best As I can recall, the problem started when I rebooted after bring my Laptop hone from a session of video work. I used it with and without battery power that night. On the 13th Jan 2010 when I rebooted I discovered this problem. I ran spyware, malware and anti virus. I changed the power setting from sver to best performance. I have uninstalled some software. In my errors in a Perfoamnce montior in VISTA I found three files that 'stop working' several times going back a couple fo week before this happened. I am not sure they have anything to do with this.
First, does your response abotu the battery apply to other machines, not just the Acer?

It is unbeleiveable what I have gone through to type this short message to you.

Collapse -
Same problem with Vista home premium
by tiggermark / February 23, 2010 12:13 AM PST

Hi all,

Have just reached this forum after hours wasted trying to fix an Acer 5050 with Vista home premium installed.
Read this post, removed battery, ordered a new one, disabled ACPI and the laptop is back working.

Mixture of great relief and frustration!

Collapse -
Sorry for the delayed response.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 12:19 AM PST

The issue applies to many makes and models. You may ask why so here it is. The PC designs originate from Intel and AMD with "reference designs" so for the most part one machine is wired exactly like the other. And if makers pick the same battery then it's failure curve is much like the next and so on for other components.

If you think about it too long your brain hurts.

Collapse -
keyboard and mouse fixed...
by aaronrey / August 23, 2010 1:05 PM PDT

2 days of "trying to fix" laptop issue!,.about that keyboard and mouse..and,finally...a way to fix and to recover my 2 days of not having sleep!,.thanx man!you the best!,..although i'm not quite sure about that battery thing...i just removed it and it works perfectly fine!,.and my battery kinda old and alil bit damaged!,. think..damage battery caused my keyboard not to work properly!,.maybe if it's new it will work!..thanx!Godbless!,.keep it up!

Collapse -
In Reply to: Mouse & Keyboard Don't Respond in Normal Mode b
by m_ng / January 21, 2011 10:50 PM PST

I have same problem with my TM 4104WLMi laptop. it is working fine without battery. What i am doing now to test the battery; the TM is working now on sole battery power for the last 30 minutes and still have touch pad and keyboard problem. I am also using wireless mouse which is fine. If the battery has failure why it is working on battery power now?

I smell a fishy thing. I suspect that these computers are designed to force the owners to replace the battery after certain period of time. I have no other explanation after reading so many posts about this issue on many different operating systems and different acer models.

so 45 miutes is over now and my TM still working on battery power!!!

Collapse -
Taking out the battery
by FM67 / June 30, 2011 12:22 PM PDT

This totally worked on my Acer Laptop too... after many hours of trying everything... this simple procedure worked! thank you!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.