General discussion

mouse & keyboard do not work

by godaell / January 5, 2011 12:02 AM PST

Vista opens with no mouse or keyboard.

what to do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mouse & keyboard do not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mouse & keyboard do not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Think about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2011 1:02 AM PST

If a friend told you only this, would you have enough detail to start?

Or would you tell them to power down and go plug in the keyboard and mouse?
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by godaell / January 5, 2011 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Think about this.

mouse & keyboard are connected, but no apparent way to communicate with vista for a fix.

any ideas

Collapse -
Read your post again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2011 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: ok

There is not much to work with. For example last week I found the keyboard in the mouse port and the mouse in the keyboard port. My friend still had to buy the pizza.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob trusts that ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 5, 2011 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: ok

eventually you will provide some information.

Immediately above where you click the Submit button when making a post there is a paragraph in RED TEXT. In case yours is the only browser in use that does not show the text I will reproduce it here:

Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You see where we need make, model, OS (and that includes Starter, Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise as some versions lack some features making fixes different) and Service Pack level, as well as a detailed explanation of the problem and what you have already tried. Also nice to know right off the bat whether the computer is a laptop, netbook or desktop.

Bob has hinted that the PS/2 plugs for the input devices may be incorrect if they are PS/2 so I will ask if the input devices EVER WORKED on this un-named make and model of computer. I will also ask what you were doing when they quit working and how soon after you last used them did you discover they no longer worked?

You are sitting in front of it but we do not have that option so we need enough information to visualize the problem and possible fixes.

Collapse -
mouse died
by godaell / January 5, 2011 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Bob trusts that ...

Thanks Ed
All systems worked properly for 2 years.

The desktop is a Dell Inspiron 531S with vista home.

The mouse and keyboard are usb.

It is not my computer so I don't know what may have occured; although I think windows updated several times over the last few days.

I have tried safe mode but with no mouse I don't know how to proceed.
I have plugged and unplugged the mouse and keyboard with reboot.
I have tried other mouse and keyboard
I have tried dell utilities with vista disk.
I have tried to recover to previous times with OEM disk, but does not allow.
I have tried dos commands some work, some do not; but non fixed the mouse

It is difficult with no mouse and keyboard operating.

Collapse -
That helps a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2011 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: mouse died
Collapse -
Bob
by godaell / January 6, 2011 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: That helps a little.

Thanks for the reply

No Symantec products.

No mouse or keyboard when in vista or safe mode.

I have tried safe mode with DOS but have not found a command which will restart mouse or keyboard.

The keyboard will work in DOS, but not in Vista windows.

Must be a vista software problem not a hardware problem i'm guessing?

Collapse -
"have tried dos commands some work, "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2011 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Bob
Collapse -
Bob
by godaell / January 6, 2011 11:01 AM PST

I have no ketboard in the Vista sfae mode.

Collapse -
I see where you state --
by Edward ODaniel / January 6, 2011 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: mouse died

"I have tried safe mode but with no mouse I don't know how to proceed." and you also said " have tried dos commands some work, some do not; but non fixed the mouse"

By this do you mean that The keyboard is working so you can get to the menu to select Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt but that in normal mode the logon welcome screen shows but you do not have a mouse to select a user?

If this is so then go ahead and boot normally. Once it has booted to the logon welcome screen with the users listed press the tab key a few times while keeping a close eye on each user's picture. At some point one of the users pictures will get a rectangular outline around the picture. When you see ths press the Enter key and type in the user password. Once booted you can use the keyboard to navigate to wherever you want using keyboard shortcuts. Here is a list of them for Vista - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Keyboard-shortcuts

I would suggest that you set up mouse keys -
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsvista/mousekeys.aspx

Now you can navigate to the control panel and Admin Tools then computer management and the mouse to see what the problem with it might be. If you don't see a problem indicated delete the mouse in device manager and reboot and see if Vista automatically finds and installs the generic mouse.

You will have to do a little experimenting to see when you need to use the enter key (same as a left click) and when you use the left, right, up, or down keys and when you have to also use the tab key to get to different window panes but it is fairly intuitive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
no mouse or keyboard in C: safe mode
by godaell / January 6, 2011 3:10 PM PST

When I boot up with oem disk & F8 i have keyboard and moude functions; but I have not found a dos command to activate the mouse and keyboard in the C: vista.

When I boot with C:vista in safe mode with dos command I have neither keyboard or mouse functions.
I have tried reboot to last good configuration with no change.
I have tried reboot normal.
The keyboard does not work

I can only type when in X:oem
I have tried dos command x:\windows\system32\mouse.exe with no result
I have tried x:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe with no results

Collapse -
Research this AFTER YOU BACKUP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2011 12:55 AM PST

The CNET STORAGE FORUM at the top has notes about getting your files out.

After that, head to google.com and try VISTA REPAIR INSTALL.

Unlike many folk you have a real Vista DVD so this is an option for you. It should not lose files unless you create some account that was the same as the old account names but you did your backups.

Bob

Collapse -
Before doing a repair install ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 7, 2011 7:38 AM PST

you can run system restore from within the Vista Recovery Environment which we now discover you can access with your OEM installation disk.

Here is a link to explicit instructions for doing this. IF system restore does not work then it is time for the repair installation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

Collapse -
Time to move on
by godaell / January 7, 2011 10:30 AM PST

Thanks for your help.

I will copy the valuable files into another computer by attaching the bad hard drive into another computer.

Then I will reinstall vista into the bad hard drive,
making it just like new?????????

I was hoping it did not come to this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.