Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

mouse keeps jumping around, all over the place

by Cokimnster / August 26, 2009 7:52 PM PDT

I am running windows xp pro. My problem is that my mouse keeps jumpimg all over the place, it just started a few days ago and i can't figure out how to fix it. Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mouse keeps jumping around, all over the place
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mouse keeps jumping around, all over the place
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of mouse?
by nino8888 / August 26, 2009 8:09 PM PDT

Do you mean the pointer jumping around on the display when you move the mouse? Do you use mouse pad? Have you tried using another mouse if you have another one? Have you tried plugging it to different port?

Collapse -
mouse jumping around...
by Cokimnster / August 27, 2009 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: What type of mouse?

my mouse is a gigaware usb mouse now. I was using a reg. serial mouse but it broke so I had this one and started using it. what happens is that it will jump from the middle of the screen to the coners, eighter by the start button or in the right hand top corner. If i'm playing freecell and am moving a card it will jump to the start button to move up to the corners, eighter the right side or the left. It seems to bounce from one corner to the other. It is a usb and the only way that I can get it to work is to plug it into the reguler mouse port on my computer with an adapter for that purpose.

Collapse -
My pointer runs around on certain surfaces, not on Mouse Mat
by Ol Rod / August 27, 2009 6:42 AM PDT

My mouse is old Logitech Optical, and cursor is erratic if I run mouse on a desk with certain woodgrain, but on a mouse Mat it is stable, rock solid! Just a suggestion.

Collapse -
Check Start menu in msconfig.
by Samhri / August 28, 2009 11:50 AM PDT

I had same type prob. Look at start items [n msconfig and make sure that gigaware is checked.

Collapse -
reply to: mouse keeps jumping around.
by caktus / August 27, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

Have you tried the same mouse on another system to see if it acts the same. They do ware out. I recently had to replace one after it had been doing the same thing for a week. I was amazed it lasted six years of extensive use.

Charlie

Collapse -
Mouse keeps jumping around
by oumom / August 28, 2009 3:44 AM PDT

Sometimes that is the indicator that the battery is low. Try replacing it and see if that helps.

Collapse -
Erratic Mouse
by FiOS-Dave / August 28, 2009 10:58 AM PDT

I've seen this happen if you have speech recognition enabled. Your Mic will pick up bakground sounds and the mouse thinks it is getting commands. Make sure that your mouse is set up properly via the Control Panel, as well.

Dave

Collapse -
Wired or Wireless? Optical or Ball?
by Flatworm / August 28, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

If it's a wired mouse, the cable might be getting a bit frayed inside the sheath. Get a new mouse. If it's a ball mouse, try taking the ball out and cleaning the ball and all the rollers. Or just get something more modern.

Collapse -
test mousing surface
by johngarm / August 29, 2009 3:22 AM PDT

Sounds like an optical mouse on bad surface. Put a piece of white paper on your desk and try it on top of that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.