Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Mouse Cursor Flashing Busy

by hblpcnet / February 20, 2011 1:34 PM PST

System is Windows 7 home 64 bit with amd athlon II 255 Processor 3.10 GHz and 4gb of ram. Avast anti-virus. I have windows firewall on, but haven't really made any other changes.

My cursor flashes the busy symbol about once every 4-5 seconds, and it does so whenever the mouse is on the desktop or anywhere it shows the regular icon. When inside this text window it changes to the text cursor and ceases to flash, however. I changed the icon only to have the new one act the same.

I ran a full scan and boot scan, and found nothing of any concern. Any ideas on why this is happening? I have seen lots of posts but most issues seem to be related to programs like word or files.

Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse Cursor Flashing Busy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse Cursor Flashing Busy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it keeps flashing busy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 20, 2011 9:06 PM PST

In Windows 7 the 'busy' cursor is a spinning circle, so if your mouse cursor is flashing there may be something else going on.

But if the mouse is showing busy constantly then something is doing that and it is a process of elimination to find the cause.

First thing, check what Processes are doing in the Task Manager. Right click the Taskbar and select Task Manager. In the new window select the Processes tab, then click the option at the bottom to "Show processes from all users". Now, click the CPU column to list processes in CPU Usage order and see what process is continuously using cpu time.

Collapse -
Flashing busy
by hblpcnet / February 21, 2011 6:24 AM PST

Thanks for the response Mark.
Yes, it is the regular cursor, then every 4 seconds flashes to the busy cursor (arrow+circle wait symbol). I did as you recommended, and aside from google chrome, the processes I see working are:

svchost.exe Host Process for Windows. There actually several of these, but only 2 are showing CPU usage, one for LOCAL SERVICE and one for SYSTEM

dwm.exe Desktop Window Manager

taskmgr.exe Windows Task Manager

Searchindexer.exe Microsoft Windows Search Indexer

These are the processes I see working. I have no idea what svchost and searchindexer are doing? They could be completely benign.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
That SearchIndexer may be a suitable suspect.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Flashing busy

Good work on your use of the Task Manager. It is not always an easy concept to grasp for many users.

svchost.exe is a known process and multiple entries are common in Windows, so there is no problem with those. There are viruses and other malware that attempt to disguise themselves as svchost.exe processes, but at this stage I do not believe this is a problem with your system. Normal anti-virus utilities can identify these threats, so unless we are unable to solve this issue with my suggestion below, we can safely ignore those.

Similarly dwm.exe is a known process and we can ignore that.

taskmgr.exe is, of course, your Task Manager when open.

So that leaves us with SearchIndexer.exe. This is related to the WindowsSearch Service which "Indexes" all of the files on the hard drive to facilitate search and other things. More information about it in the link below;

On a new system this can take up a lot of CPU time as it catalogs all files and contents. It does this in CPU idle times, eg whenever you are not doing anything, but I can imagine on a multi-core system that it can kick in at any time. After a while (days to weeks or more), it's work is done, and so it only scans for changes.

This is a service that can be disabled without any effect, as long as you don't intend to use it to search for content in file documents, emails, etc. Also, the normal Search function in the Start Menu or any Windows Explorer window is not affected.

So, if you want to disable this service and see if that works, try this;

1] In the Start Menu, if you do not already have the Run command shortcut, use Search to search for Run. Open the top entry listed and a new window will display. If you already have a Run shortcut in your Start Menu, click that.

2] Type in services.msc and click OK, (for clarity, that is SERVICES.MSC).

3] In the new window, scroll down and search for Windows Search. Highlight the entry and double click it, and the Windows Search Properties window will open.

4] In that window, click the Stop button. When the service has stopped, use the pull-down menu for "Startup type:" to select Disabled. Then click Apply/OK.

That should stop the service and prevent it from starting each time you boot up.

See if that reduces or stops the cursor flashing. If not, you can always restart the service and we look elsewhere.

Collapse -
Still happening...wait...nevermind
by hblpcnet / February 27, 2011 12:27 PM PST

I did as instructed. The searchindexer is no longer showing up in the task manager. However, I am noticing one I did not see before. I assume it has to do with my cell phone as the phone is of HTC manufacture.

HTCVBTServer.exe*32 HTCVBTServer Module

I ended this process and the cursor ceased to flash the busy signal for the first time in weeks. I couldn't have done it without your help and I learned to utilize my task manager for more than just closing down stalled webpages. Thanks for your help Mark.

Collapse -
That's great!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2011 7:47 PM PST

Good work in finding this. It is nearly always difficult to find any offending process or service and elimination is often the only way.

That HTCVBTServer.exe*32 HTCVBTServer Module seems to be some process that monitors your system for some reason. Googling that doesn't provide much useful information, but if HTC installed a service then you my want to search for that and see if it is set to Automatic or Manual.

Use the same method we discussed to search the Services console for any HTC entries. If it is set to automatic, then I suggest you change that to manual. That way, the next time you connect your phone this process may initiate but not run continuously.

Thanks for letting us know.

Collapse -
Good advice
by hblpcnet / February 28, 2011 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: That's great!

Thank you very much for your help.

Collapse -
Mouse cursor flashing busy (rotating circle)
by dwilkows / March 27, 2011 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Good advice

I just read this good post and am relieved to see it. I too just purchased an HTC Hero phone and set it to share its network with our home wireless network. It doesn't seem to bother any computer tasks I have done lately and now that I know what is causing it, I think I may just leave it on. I believe it allows me to update my Outlook calendar on the computer without duplicating that job on the cell phone--the two calendars are synced because of this network sharing... I think! Happy

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, Intel Core(R) Core (TM)2 Quad Processing, at 2.4 Ghz & 4Gb HD.

Thanks for this post!

Collapse -
Mouse Cursor flashing busy even after services.msc disabled
by SoftwareDeveloper2011 / November 22, 2011 3:32 AM PST

Hi Mark,

I had a similar issue and ended up disabling services.msc. But now also am facing the same issue. Could you please help me in resolving this?

Appreciate ur help!!

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2011 3:37 AM PST

I wish it was a simple matter of do this to find which app or service but each machine is an adventure as you pop the hood to see what it could be.

You should make a NEW post and to help others spot what it could be, list all apps and services that are running.

Collapse -
flashing and blinking curser
by boafowaa / January 30, 2012 6:18 AM PST

thank you very much mark. i have been having this problem for a month and and now you just helped me solve that problem i actually disabled the searchindexer.exe and it worked.

god bless you.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:31 AM PST
Collapse -
curtsor flashing busy
by bubbadavid / March 26, 2012 4:28 PM PDT

i tried the info and it didnt work for me; any other sugestions?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2012 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: curtsor flashing busy

Without knowing more there's nothing I can add to whatever has been said here.

Collapse -
blinking wait cursor problem
by usanjay77 / January 2, 2012 11:12 PM PST

Thank you for help my problem is solved in my side this problem causing my TV TUNER DRIVER and when i ended this task blinking wait cursor is gone Thank you very much for help.

Collapse -
Spinning busy cursor
by CeiThor / December 24, 2011 7:15 AM PST

I had this same issue. About every 4 seconds, the spinning circle would appear, then disappear. I brought up Task Manger, then Processes and watched it. I soon noticed that the HPNetworkCommunicator.exe kept coming up, then going away. When it appeared, the spinning circle appeared. Long story short, this was caused by my wireless HP Officejet Pro 8600 losing its IP address. When I reconnected it to my wireless network, the spinning circle stopped appearing. I then went into my router and assigned a static IP address to the printer. It is working fine so far. I'm sure there could be other processes that do that, but this only started after I installed the HP software.

Collapse -
spinning cursor waiting symbol
by ameinhau / January 12, 2012 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Spinning busy cursor

I am using an HP Pavillion dv7-3063cl Entertainment Notebook, Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit

I am also having this problem with the almost constant waiting symbol and I also just installed new HP printer software. In checking the task manager, the only proceses that are constantly on are

System Idle Process

iexplore.exe *32

How can I tell if my new printer software is a problem or if I should disable either of the above processes?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Collapse -
Seems a different problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2012 8:31 PM PST

However, in Task Manager - Processes tab have you clicked the option at the bottom to "Show processes for all users"?

Then, click the CPU column header once or twice to list the processes in order of CPU usage amount so that the highest usage lists at the bottom of the list, (ie, reverse order). That way it is easier to watch and see which processes are taking up all the CPU time.

Then tell us what processes are taking up all the time.

You mentioned iexplorer.exe and this is your Internet Explorer. If this is using up all CPU time then there is some add-on at fault and you need to disable or delete that.

Collapse -
HP printers
by AarmaniJ / February 20, 2012 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Spinning busy cursor

My cursor is behaving exactly the same way, and the Task manager gives me the same program, HPNetworkCommunicator. However, I'd really like the long story, because I'm not familiar enough with this type of fix to be able to reconnect it and assign a static IP for my printer. Please let me know how if you can. Thanks!

Collapse -
This may help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: HP printers

Detailed instructions for setting up a wireless printer with your router, with a static IP address;

Details and methods may differ, eg which router you have, how you access the router's setup pages, and more importantly whether the printer has a control panel on it that allows you to set up the network details, or whether the printer came with a setup CD that does that for you.

But I note from that guidance that it may be necessary to connect the printer by ethernet cable to the router first to set up the wireless connection and any static IP address. Also, I suspect you might need to check all other devices connected to the printer, whether wired or wirelessly and find their IP addresses to avoid any IP address conflict, but I am not sure about that.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Just check the task manager
by xixalive / January 12, 2012 11:46 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Just check the task manager

Collapse -
by bsllw / April 12, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

i opened task manager
arranged priorities but i have something called as SYSTEM IDLE PROCESSES taking 88
whenever i try ending the process it shows me an error message "the operation is not valid for this process"
i restarted, but everything is still the same.
help please

Collapse -
Please research that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: cursor

It's where extra cycles go.

It's not an issue.

New users can be derailed and upset as others tell them it's not the issue.

Please catch up fast so we can look at the real issue.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks for replying
by bsllw / April 12, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

i have no idea what the problem is...
but the cursor blinks with the loading circle..
i've restarted twice

what should i do next?

Collapse -
Start a new thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for replying

And tell all about the PC, what's new, what's in the USB ports, what's running, etc.

And please, try to avoid the IDLE PROCESS DISCUSSION.

Collapse -
by bsllw / April 12, 2012 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Start a new thread.

currently, nothing in my usb ports
no programs but google chrome are running
it's an i5 processor lenovo with windows 7 home edition installed on it

Collapse -
Can't find your new post with all the detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: cursor

Posting in some old discussion is not a good idea.

Collapse -
Mouse pointer issue solved
by DappaD84 / January 25, 2012 11:28 PM PST

I have had this problem twice now and manged to solve it both times.

1st time the issue was only happening with firefox open - Turned out it was due to some poorly written javascript on a site I had open in one of the tabs - I know this because I wrote it and later managed to fix it.

2nd time I followed the instructions in this post - opened task manager and ordered the processes by cpu load, I found that an HPNetworksomethingorother kept appearing in the list every time the cursor changed, for me it turned out to be a (presumably poorly written) HP wireless printer driver, luckily for me the printer was also very poorly constructed so I had already returned it as faulty for constantly chewing paper so it was an easy decision to delete the drivers- god bless HP

Hope this helps

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.