Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mouse and keyboard freezes

by bobbhim / September 4, 2005 2:02 AM PDT

My mouse and keyboard functions freezes within an hour of startup. I have a biostar u8668 pro motherboard, intel p4 1.7ghz, 512 ddr ram, cd and dvd writers and two hard drives. I am running windows xp pro with all the service packs and upgrades. I even flashed the bios with no apparent improvement. On immediate rebooting all is well for about the same time before it freezes again. What am I overlooking? Thanks for any pointers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mouse and keyboard freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mouse and keyboard freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Hardware Are You Using?
by blondiejane / September 4, 2005 2:51 AM PDT

You didn't say who the manufacturer of your mouse and keyboard is. I had this problem with Logitech keyboard and mouse hardware. No matter which one I used they would freeze/lock-up. I tried other manufacturer's hardware before returning to Microsoft hardware. I have not had any problems since then.

I personally know others that have had the same problem with Logitech hardware. I often warn people not to buy Logitech keyboard or mouse hardware unless they have used it successfully in the past. I have contacted Logitech numerous times about the problems but so far they have not found a solution. Therefore, I now rely on Microsoft hardware.

Collapse -
Mouse & Keyboard
by Sande / September 6, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

I have been experiencing the same issues.

At least once or twice a day.

My computer is only two years old and the keyboard and mouse came as part of the package that I purchased, and money was tight was I went with what they offered.

It's their basic wireless version and about six months after I got it...the letters on all the keys were gone and this problem started.

I contacted the company and they said that had never heard of the mouse and keyboard freezing that it must be my computer. Right!

I am off to send them another email and tell them I am not imaging this problem and have found other's that are having the same issue.

Collapse -
Just a thought....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2005 12:54 AM PDT

If they are wireless keyboard and mouse, check the batteries.

Mark

Collapse -
Funny
by Sande / September 7, 2005 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought....

The batteries get changed every week in the mouse...the mouse eats batteries when your online alot.

This issue has nothing to do with batteries.

Collapse -
I have an u8668 too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2005 1:01 AM PDT

I fitted it with a 450 Watt PSU (you didn't tell), some 2.0GHz Celeron and it runs 24x7 on Windows 2000. It seems stable but I took care with the power and a cool case.

Tell more about your setup. It sounds like a power or heat issue.

Bob

Collapse -
freeze ups
by byker49 / September 7, 2005 3:54 AM PDT

You may also want to clear out your tif files (temporary internet files) since it takes an hour to start having problems. Make sure your internet cache file is something like 50 MB. If this is set too large it will start slowing you down.

Collapse -
Input devices freezing up
by bobbhim / September 9, 2005 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: freeze ups

Thanks everyone for your reply to my querry. My keyboard is generic(ie I do not know who made it). Both my usb microsoft and a ps2(not together) mice behaved the same way. I have been clearing temp files on a very regular basis. My power supply is 350. I have been thinking about getting a 450 because of the number of hardware I am usuing and might be encountering a voltage issue. I do not know how sensitive the system is.
On a happier note I have had it on for four hours so far and no freezing up. I shall trouble shoot some more and do thank you all for your suggestions.

Collapse -
Background programs.
by kefta4ever / September 9, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

It could be some program that is scheduled to start at a certain time when you are on. Spyware can definately cause this. Somtimes, when a CD/DVD is put in and out the system still looks for it and causes pausing/freezing. Same with opening some network/shared folders.

My bet SPYWARE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.