Computer Help

General discussion

Mounting new LCD over fire place?

by gqlefty / July 8, 2007 10:28 PM PDT

I want to put my new LCD over my fireplace. I see that done in photos and such and it looks great!! In reality, is that a good place for it?? What about the heat from the burning wood?? Also, how in the HECK do you hide ALL those power cords,cables and wires from the Sat. rec. and the surround sound equipment leading to it?? The back of my present TV wall unit has cables and wires running everwhere !!!!! Thanks !!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mounting new LCD over fire place?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mounting new LCD over fire place?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by saitokokeimei / August 3, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

As long as the brick wall doesn't get too hot and you keep the smoke and all IN the chimney, I'd say it wouldn't be any worse than keeping a mantle over your fireplace with important pictures and stuff. But you'd have to anchor the bolts into the masonry probably and they're very LONG bolts.. i'm really not the person to ask i just thought i'd say what I thought. Also - Having light anywhere around the tv screen is going to mess with your eyes while you're trying to watch it, and if any kind of light is hitting an lcd screen it's going to wash out and darken and be hard to see.

Collapse -
oh yeah
by saitokokeimei / August 3, 2007 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm
Collapse -
Brick or stone?
by richchrono / August 3, 2007 8:13 PM PDT

You neglected to say what kind of material your fireplace is made of.
If it's a typical red brick, I just installed a 50" plasma just above the mantel piece on my parent's brick fireplace.
No big deal as long as you have a masonry bit for your drill and you don't get too close to the edge of the brick (they'll crack).
In fact, if you use the right mounts, installing it into brick is actually sturdier than installing on a wall.
I ran the cables behind the plasma and out the side in the space between the bricks, then down the side of the fireplace encased in cable-hiding housing.
The whole thing looks great.

Collapse -
hiding cables and wires
by gqlefty / August 3, 2007 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Brick or stone?

Thanks!!! Above my fireplace mantle is sheet rock. You had no problem hiding the Sat. Cables, Ele.Power cables, Surround sound speaker wires? Did you put the Sat. receiver and surround rec/DVD player on a stand beside the fireplace? I could put the front speakers on the mantle. It looks all neat and clean in those photos with NO wires and cables running everywhere. No speakers,or rec. anywhere to be seen but all they're trying to do is sell a TV. Thanks again!!!

Collapse -
Mounting new LCD over fire place?
by internetexplorer / August 5, 2007 1:12 AM PDT

The above advice is all good. Last year, my dad had professionals put his 42" lcd on a stone fireplace about where a mantel would be and it works and looks fine. (Note: it may help that his burns gas instead of wood) The professionals did the same things the other replies mention, except that instead of using cable runs (tunnels) to hide the wiring, they just twisted them into a bundle and secured them with cable ties. Of course the appearance was improved tremendously by using cables approximately the same color (gray) as the mortar in the joint where the bundle runs. Don't even think about using white cable unless it's completely covered. This kind of installation is done all the time, however, it requires extra hands to handle and maneuver the weight and bulk of a large screen set while installing it. It helps if your audio & video equipment is close to the set like his is now, instead of on the other side of the room where it started out.

Collapse -
just thought you should know
by mitubhi / August 7, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

ok the one in the pitcure is a house that was desinged to mount the tv over the fireplace . you said yours was sheet rock this is a hole lot easier than brick . you will have to cut a hole the size of the tv in the wall . the studs of a house are 16 inches apart so you will have to use a recipatal saw to cut them . after the hole bulid a frame around the hole the size of the tv on the inside of the wall . i would then put up a fire wall that is heat restant to protect the tv then put in the tv mounts . the only problem it the fluke of the fireplace it could be to close and you may cut it when you are cuting the wall if you do fix it . i woudld use a jig or skill saw to make the first cut so that i dont go to deep . now the wires if you are not going to put the others stuff up their like sat. , dvd , ect. and just put them in a rack beside the fireplace then you will drill a hole in the wall behind the rack then go in the attick get what some call a snake and run it down the wall to the hole and connect the wires and pull the up then run them over to the fireplace and run them back down to the tv,if you are going to put everything up their just drop the sat. cable down fro the celing you will also have to run a new uotlet for power hope this helps.

Collapse -
See my solution
by TonyJ99 / August 8, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

We just finished a marble mantel installation with LCD TV tegether at my parents' house. The mantel goes up to the ceiling. We ordered the mantel from a company named as Evan's Home Luxuries. I forgot if you can find some similar mantel pictures from their website like mine. http://www.evanshomeluxuries.com. When we order it, we gave them the design file.
We removed the sheet rock on the wall and put more 2x4 and make the wall very sturdy. Then we use the marble cover the wall. Some marble pcs have pre-drilled holes. All our cords goes back the marble and hides.
Hoping this will be helpful for you.

Collapse -
Hiding wires....
by gqlefty / August 8, 2007 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: See my solution

Thanks.....Where do your wires come out to power your TV and other equipment???

Collapse -
LCD fireplace/plaster/brick
by Ingrasir / August 27, 2007 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hiding wires....

Hey everyone... Moving into a new apartment w/a non-working fireplace... I know there's brick underneath the plaster but I have no idea if there are studs or not... Any tips for installing the tv into a brick wall w/plaster over it?

Collapse -
Can I mount my 41 in LCD over a fireplace with a wood wall??
by Lination81 / July 16, 2009 12:36 PM PDT

I am moving into a new place, and I have my almost a year old LCD Samsung 41 inch screen TV. I want to mount it on top of the fireplace, since there isin't much room in the LV to have the TV and couches. Is this safe? The wall is wood. How can I mount it without destroying the wooden wall??? Is the wood more condusive to heat that can ruin the TV???

Thanks!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.