Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Motorola SB5100 network with Netgear router?

by brucefon / August 24, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

Before even beginning, I live in Shrewsbury, Mass. where they have theor own little cable co. It's bot Charter or Comcast. http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/cable/
Anyway, I have one PC with a SB5100 connected to SELCO's cable. For whatever reason my PC can't recognize a internet connection unless I then feed a Ethernet cable into the Netgear wireless router, then a cable into my PC's USB port.
Bad enough?
I want to be host to my son's PC 3 rooms away.
The wireless signal was too weak so I ran a 15 ft Ethernet cable in the basement rafters. I surely thought that I could connect a cable from the Netgear directly into his PC.
It's not happening. And SELCO offers no support.
And I can't afford Geek Squad.
Isn't there a simple solution?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motorola SB5100 network with Netgear router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motorola SB5100 network with Netgear router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bump
by brucefon / August 25, 2006 1:42 AM PDT

bump^

Collapse -
Frankly, not a proper setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

I'd consider looking at how most of us set this up.

Your post seems to write this.

Cable modem -> PC -> router

I think the more common method is this.

Cable modem -> router -> PCs

For wireless units we move closer to the router or the router closer and always make sure our router firmware is the latest.

Bob

Collapse -
its modem -> router -> pc
by brucefon / August 25, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

we have it set up with modem, connected by a ethernet to the router, and a usb is going to the main computer, then a long ethernet cable going from the router to the other computer

Collapse -
Doesn't look proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

I have yet to see a (working) setup with USB to the clients. I did hook up a WAP one time with USB but that was to update its firmware.

I suggest you setup it like most do.

Bob

Collapse -
RE
by brucefon / August 25, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

No, I have cable modem -> Router -> PC

Collapse -
whats the proper way
by brucefon / August 25, 2006 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

whats the proper way

Collapse -
Check the router manual but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: whats the proper way

cable/dsl modem -> router -> PCs with ethernet or wireless is the usual and should be in the manual. That USB connection is very odd.

Bob

Collapse -
-RE:
by brucefon / August 25, 2006 5:20 AM PDT

so i should connect a ethernet into the main computer, and then an ethernet into the other one?

Collapse -
In simplest terms..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: -RE:

Cable/dsl modem to Router to PCs.

I could read that you tried...

Cable/dsl modem to Router to PC to PC. Which is possible but can try even seasoned network managers.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.