PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Motherboard with four memory slot Help

by Emler_01 / September 27, 2006 7:05 AM PDT

Hi I just assembled a new system but I couldn't make it work. I got a p965 neo motherboard from MSI and it has 4 memory slots. Currently I only have one 1gb ddr2 memory installed. The manual of the motherboard didn't discuss much about memory configuration. My Pc turns on but it beeps continuesly and doesn't go to POST.I have doubts that It might need a second memory or maybe the motherboard requires only a pair of memory. I am buying again a 1gb ddr2 memory but I wanna make sure my doubts really is true. Any suggestions?

I would appreciate any reply.

Emler_01

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard with four memory slot Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard with four memory slot Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I maybe wrong, but...
by ahtoi / September 27, 2006 7:47 AM PDT

shouldn't ddr memories be install in pairs (same capacity).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry, I am wrong.
by ahtoi / September 27, 2006 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I maybe wrong, but...
Collapse -
All I can add is...
by ahtoi / September 27, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

make sure it is properly and securely seated. I had two memories stick in banks 1 & 2 then I took the first one out and the thing still works.

Collapse -
What's the BEEP pattern ? It's a clue to the problem.
by VAPCMD / September 27, 2006 12:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
beeping pattern
by Emler_01 / September 28, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

I tried the beeping pattern, and tells me that it maybe a card not properly inserted or missing component.

Collapse -
Did you reseat the AGP card ? Dependiing on the case, jusr
by VAPCMD / September 28, 2006 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: beeping pattern

moving the PC around can cause the AGP card to shift in the slot and not work . . . just like you're experiencing.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Motherboard with four memory slot Help
by bob b / September 28, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

Your mobo should support a single stick..pairs are better.

Is the stick in the proper slot?

Is the stick a supported speed?
Seems like pc2-4200/5300/6400.

Collapse -
re Motherboard with four memory slot Help
by Emler_01 / September 28, 2006 10:04 AM PDT

I already tried different slots and still the same however if I don't install the memory, when I turn on my computer it doesn't beep anymore but ofcourse doesn't work. I heard rumors a long time ago that if the motherboard have 4 memory banks it should require 2 memories but if only 3 banks it can accept 1 memory but that was old days already.

Collapse -
Right memory type?
by samkh / September 28, 2006 10:27 AM PDT

Call the memory supplier to see if it is compatible with your mobo. If it is, try re-seating it firmly. Better to insert it with the mobo out of case and lying on a flat firm surface.

Collapse -
The 4 slot memory mobos
by Ray Harinec / September 29, 2006 2:03 AM PDT

all work with one stick of the correct memory, however will then run in single channel mode.. The four slots provide capability to run two pairs of memory in Dual Channel Mode.

One possible confusion when running Dual channel mode is that most mobos want one stick in the first slot and an identical stick in the third slot. The individual pairs must be the same size memory, but each pair can be a different capacity. Read the manual.

Unfortunately some mobos use adjacent slots for the dual channels, thus one must read the manual.

They all should run just fine with a single memory stick, but it will be in single channel mode.

Some of the better mobos are rather fussy about which memory will run in their slots. Check the mobo mfr's website for approved [they tested] brands and models.

Collapse -
I got my pc working now!!
by Emler_01 / September 29, 2006 11:41 AM PDT

I just bought a second memory but unfortunately the first memory (Elpida brand) didn't work in my motherboard while my second memory works perfectly.Now I'm convince it will run only 1 stick memory module in 4 slot motherboard. The one I'm figuring out right now is i couldn't boot my original windows.Maybe I need reinstalling it and re activate it again. Anyway thank you guys for your help.

Collapse -
4TH MEMORY SLOT IS NOT RECOGNIZED
by jackvane007 / April 2, 2008 2:24 PM PDT

I tried upgrading my HP m7640n by adding 2, 1G sticks to the unused memory slots. They are the correct size -- actually identical to what came with stock with the computer. When I go to bios after installing, it will not acknowledge the 4th slot -- it says not installed. I've tried reseating it and rearanged the sticks to find out if it was a faulty memory stick. The did nothing. Is it likely that the 4th slot is some how damaged or is there something not right with the puter to only take 3g's of RAM. I have an AMD64 Duel processor.

Collapse -
Same problem
by myalienpc / April 19, 2008 9:24 AM PDT

I am having the same problem as well. I can use any 4 of my 1GB DIMS in slots 1-3, alone or all 3, but I cannot put any of them into slot 4. If I put anything into slot 4, the computer boots, but no video.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.