PC Hardware forum

Motherboard Upgrade Question...

by FattyLumpkin / November 23, 2013 9:27 PM PST

I have an aging machine that I would like to make some upgrades to but am unsure about a couple things. Mainly, I don't know what SSD might be comparable with the motherboard in the machine. I've had difficulty even finding the motherboard when I search for it. The motherboard is a Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB. Is there a SSD you might recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard Upgrade Question...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard Upgrade Question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Some reading
by bob b / November 23, 2013 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
by FattyLumpkin / November 23, 2013 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Some reading

Thank you for the link. However, I'm operating at a pretty basic level here; I just want to know if a SSD will work with my motherboard since its so old. In other words, is there a particular connector or type of SSD that will work. After I know where to start I'll look into refining my search.

Thanks again.

Just in case it matters, here is the entire system I'm looking to upgrade.
Case - CoolerMaster CM 690 Gaming Tower Case and 420W Power SupplyPower Supply - 800 Watt Power Supply Quad SLI ReadyProcessor - Quad Core Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (4x 2.83GHz, 12MB L2 Cache, 1333FSB)Processor Cooling - INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kitMotherboard - CrossFire Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset with 7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_PROMemory - 4GB (2 GB X2) DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major BrandVideo Card 1 & 2 - 2x ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-Express x16 - CrossFire modeHard Drive - 1 TB HARD DRIVE Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache2nd Hard Drive - 500 GB HARD DRIVE Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M CacheCDDVD Drive - 16x DVD-ROM Drive BlackCD-RWDVD-RW Drive - LG 20x Dual Format Double Layer DVDR RW, CD-R RW Drive BlackSound Card - 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Collapse -
Long shot question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: But...

That is, only those that own that board that installed such may know (or the maker.)

However, in theory all are compatible. This means that it's the rare machine that doesn't work.

Let's be very clear the XP does not have trim and those that run SSD on XP accept the consequence.

Collapse -
by FattyLumpkin / November 24, 2013 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Long shot question.

Thanks R. Proffitt...this is what I wanted to hear; that it will be difficult to go wrong. I'm paranoid that I'd purchase a SSD and not be able to plug it in. Obviously I don't know much about computers and this machine is over 5 years old so I want to be sure.

The machine won't run XP. Right now the OS is Windows Vista but I have a fresh copy of both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and plan to install 8.1 on it when I do the upgrade.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Yippie!

When we install the SSD we always want the motherboard bios current then we check the SSD firmware before we install the OS. With that out of the way we install the OS, the drivers for motherboard and the rest but ONE LAST THING.

When I have an Intel Chipset I always finish by installing Intel's RST. Without that, we may be leaving some performance out.

Collapse -
Will do!
by FattyLumpkin / November 24, 2013 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Remember

Okay, you said a bunch of stuff that I do not understand (mostly the RST thing) but I will look into them; how to update he firmware, too. This was very helpful. Thank you.

Collapse -
Could I be more unclear?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Will do!
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.