Computer Help forum

General discussion

Motherboard Battery problems?

by hwll / August 29, 2010 12:32 AM PDT

win xp computers suddenly stop booting after showing mobo initial scene. Age of self assembled units are 7.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Motherboard Battery problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Motherboard Battery problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a battery problem, most likely.
by Kees Bakker / August 29, 2010 12:36 AM PDT

But that is rather easy (and not too expensive) to check. Can you go into the BIOS, set it to 'boot from CD' and then boot from a bootable CD (like your Windows XP CD or a Linux Live CD)?

Kees

Collapse -
Battery?
by hwll / August 29, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

Couldn't even get into aetup phase.

Collapse -
Your choice then between ...
by Kees Bakker / August 29, 2010 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery?

- replacing the battery
- replacing the motherboard

The first is cheaper. The second is equivalent to buying a new PC.

Kees

Collapse -
not solve
by ts4m / March 25, 2012 3:00 AM PDT

So I changed my battery. But there still remains the problem of foot

Collapse -
There are many reasons for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2012 3:08 AM PDT

One is that age. There are components in these systems that have about a 5 year design life. I read you are at year 7 so to guess what it is and be right could be wrong since all the parts are now suspect.

Tell more and one question. -> Did you inspect for BAD CAPS? (see google about that!)
Bob

Collapse -
describe the problem
by ts4m / March 30, 2012 11:11 PM PDT

tnx for ur attention , Bob
I had to clear CMOS . after that when the system is booting and windows comes up , welcome screen is not loaded and icons not showing anymore. also system will not boot from bootable CD's.

Collapse -
About the boot from CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: describe the problem

That's a well worn area. I swap the CD drive with a new DVDRW and retest.
Bob

Collapse -
I could boot , but ....
by ts4m / April 2, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

I could boot from windows cd and reinstall it. after i installed windows the problem was solved. but after the graphic card installation and rebooting , the problem appeared and unfortunately i was in the first place ( the welcome screen could not be loaded and icon's were not shown).
P.S. My battery is under my graphic card so , to clean CMOS , i had to open the graphic card.
i'm really sick to death , plz help me.

Collapse -
Can't help. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 3:33 AM PDT

I looked up and see that while you made some progress the details are missing.

Here's my thought. It's well known that installing XP is now more than what we can expect from the average user.

The average user may install XP then proceed to the video driver and right there they are dead. The average user does not have an install plan that is correct.

And here's why I can't help. I don't have this plan for this machine. I have a generic plan I use but again, can't help. No machine details are here.
Bob

Collapse -
System Details
by ts4m / April 2, 2012 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't help. Why?
Collapse -
This can't be 7 years old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: System Details

If it was 7 months you have warranty left on the parts.

Then again, this PSU has a split rail. One is 20A the other 25A. Since the machine is pretty high powered it's a shame you didn't get a single rail or try moving loads from one rail to the other.

Who designed this machine? You should whip their behind a little.
Bob

Collapse -
misunderstanding
by ts4m / April 2, 2012 7:13 AM PDT

i wish u had explained more , but actually u replied generally and u used some special tens ( for example split rail ) which i'm not familiar with .
also i have been working with this system for 2 years , during this period it was ok but last year i had some problem such as hanging up and so on.

Ali

Collapse -
Which is expected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: misunderstanding

I did not use any special term. Power supplies with single or split rails have been discussed in PC building for over a decade so this is not a special term.

Back to the machine at hand. It's aged a little and we know that power supplies and specifically the capacitors and heat sink compounds lose their capabilities and properties pretty fast. That's why we put in power supplies with about double the needed capacity so it can age and with the loss over time it won't fail or cause strange issues like above.

The problem with this issue is the usual user will be unable to swap it out to see if that's it. They'll want a test.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by ts4m / April 2, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is expected.

ok ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.