Laptops forum

General discussion

Mother board in laptops

by tai108 / February 4, 2005 9:07 AM PST

What is some of the symptoms of a bad mother board in a laptop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mother board in laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mother board in laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is some of the symptoms of a bad mother board in a lapt
by Operations / February 4, 2005 11:05 AM PST

Maybe you might just tell us what YOUR symptoms are?

Collapse -
mother board symptoms
by tai108 / February 9, 2005 7:13 AM PST

When I turn on the computer the power lights comes on and then in seconds it shuts off completely

Collapse -
IBM X60 Laptop
by madoug / January 21, 2009 9:19 PM PST

The laptop will not power off. Removed the battery and held the power button down and still would not shut down.

Collapse -
That's bad. Real bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2009 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: IBM X60 Laptop

If holding the power button for 20 seconds didn't work, that's either the button itself or the wires to the motherboard are bad or the motherboard.

Did you test the switch (button)?

Collapse -
bad motherboard
by sa_palmer / February 9, 2005 8:47 AM PST

Best way to diagnose a bad motherboard is to turn laptop over look at the manufacturer's name.

If it says toshiba its probably bad.

Collapse -
Been here about a billion times...
by dontchyawishyaknew / February 12, 2005 3:46 AM PST

Sudden shutdowns, erroneos "RTC Battery" messages, freezing up minutes after power up, vidow display problems, won't power down on its own, won't power up or just an amber blinking AC light the unit.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
What kind of laptop???????
by ikenfixit / February 12, 2005 4:27 AM PST

Sounds like a CPU but you never know...***** What is the laptop*****? May be a bad connector joint as well and its trying to start on a dead battery.. *****Need to know What Kind of laptop is this*****??????????????

Collapse -
this worked for me...amazingly
by RCDnyc / February 12, 2005 9:24 PM PST

Q: When I power my system up, the lights flash on and off and nothing happens.
A: This is a common problem in Dell Laptops with an MMC-1, or MMC-2 CPU module.

You simply need to remove the keyboard using the instructions on the Dell website and reseat the CPU.

Some of the systems had small clips around the CPU to hold it in place and Dell did not put enough to hold it in. In that case you can contact Dell support and get another clip.

Collapse -
works for you
by tai108 / February 16, 2005 12:23 AM PST

Thanks I will try that and hopely it will work for me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.