Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Most stable version of IE for Windows XP

by Big Steve / January 27, 2012 5:05 AM PST

I'm currently on my 6 year old Dell Dimension 3100 desktop computer and I have been prompted by many websites to upgrade my current version of Internet Explorer to a better one. Before I do that can someone here recommend a good, stable reliable version of Internet Explorer to upgrade to on this 6 year old Dell Dimension 3100 desktop computer?
Belarc Advisor currently shows that I have the following on my computer; see below.

Microsoft - Internet Explorer 92318-600-0011903-00102

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Most stable version of IE for Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Most stable version of IE for Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Always the latest version.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 5:09 AM PST

is your IE version 7? If so you can upgrade to version 8, but IE9 depends on which OS you are using.

Anything below Vista and you are limited to IE8.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Always the latest version
by Big Steve / January 27, 2012 5:31 AM PST

My 6 year old Dell Dimension 3100 desktop computer has WIN Home XP with SP2 as it's OS. Belarc Advisor shows that my current version of IE is as follows: Microsoft - Internet Explorer 92318-600-0011903-00102. Control Panel lists under Add or Remove Programs that I currently have IE7 so based upon what you just told me above since my primary OS is not Vista I can only upgrade to IE8?

Off Topic: Which CNET forum would I post questions about my current word processing software which is installed on this computer? According to Control Panel it lists my word processing software as MS Works 8.0? Would I need to post questions in the CNET "Office & Productivity" forum?

Collapse -
Version
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 8:32 PM PST

"Version" is always what is said in Help > About xxxx, eg "About Internet Explorer". The other numbers you provide is only useful for those experts at Microsoft who diagnose problems and such things.

My version of IE9 is V 9.0.4 as an example. There's a Product ID there as well but we don't bother with that.

I would be cautious about upgrading to IE8. I don't know if there is a reason why your XP doesn't have SP3 and all the updates available post SP3, but I'm guessing you are short many critical security updates and OS updates and I wonder if moving to IE8 might cause your system problems. I don't know for sure, but my own philosophy is to keep my Windows updated at all times, and then items like IE updates arrive automatically with future Windows Updates.

Your 2nd question is an interesting one. The introduction to the Office & Productivity software forum states that the forum is to get help with all the latest "office" software and productivity tools - from word processing to spreadsheets.

Office is different to Works, but since Works includes a word processor and other productivity tools, I see no problem with you posting there. That will be fine.

I see you have already posted there. Happy No problems and you can reply to your own post there if you wish with your problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Always the latest version
by Big Steve / January 28, 2012 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Version
So your advice is to stay with IE7 on my Dell Dimension 3100 desktop computer which has an OS of Windows Home XP with SP2? My brother sent the Dell desktop computer to me in April 2006, his IT guy came from Texas and set everything up for me, the IT guy told me the computer's OS was WIN Home XP with SP2. Are you also saying that my OS should have been upgraded to SP3? I have the computer set up to receive automatic updates from MS every morning at 3:00 a.m.
Collapse -
Always
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 7:45 PM PST

Always keep a Windows system uptodate with Windows Updates.

However what you say would be a worry for me. If Windows' Update is set to download and receive updates every morning at 3:00am but no updates have been received since 2006, then something is amiss.

I assume the computer is turned on and Windows is up and running at 3:00 am each morning.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: up and running
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: Always

That's not necessary. If you turn it on after 3:00 AM Windows is smart enough to see it hasn't run today yet so will run it also.

But I agree something is very wrong if Windows is set to automatic updates and doesn't automatically update. What Steve should do: in IE go to Tools>Windows Update and ask it to check for updates. I wouldn't be amazed at all if he got SP3 first, then 60 the second time and 10 the third time he did it. Then, until he knows why it doesn't do it automatically, he should visit Windows update himself at least once a week.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, understood, and I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: up and running
Collapse -
Re: Version
by Big Steve / February 1, 2012 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Version

I'm back on the Dell Dimension 3100 desktop computer again and after doing a Windows Update I checked to see if I have SP3 or not; I do have SP3. The computer has been updating every morning at 3:00 a.m. through Windows Update and my current version of Internet Explorer is IE7 so I guess I can now make the move to Internet Explorer 8 on this Dell desktop computer whose OS is Windows Home XP with SP3, not SP2 as I had previously assumed. Question; do I uninstall IE7 first then install IE8 or can I go ahead and install IE8 right on top of IE7?

Collapse -
No, let WIndows Update do it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Version

Let Windows Update do all the work.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: No, let Windows Update do it
by Big Steve / February 1, 2012 9:25 PM PST

OK.

Collapse -
No you don't unistall IE 7
by Maljudges / February 3, 2012 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Version

Manually go to windows update site and run the update using the Custom button so you will get all the updates available, and make sure to activate the retore hidden updates if you have any. In my opinion IE 8 is worth getting as there are improvements in the Smart Screen filter and Pop up blockers, But you will get different opinions on IE 8 as every computer instals things sligtly differently, I don't know why but they do. I have 2 desktops and a laptop and they will instal some updates and not others mainly the Net Framework updates.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Collapse -
A good point here
by Zouch / February 3, 2012 9:49 PM PST

Agree with all that's been said so far, but I think Maljudges has a good point here, do check to see whether the machine has any hidden updates (in Windows Update). Microsoft has been pushing IE8 to XP users for a few weeks now, including in the January Patch Tuesday list and if the machine has been running automatic updates, why hasn't it picked it up? So I'd start Windows Update, click on Restore Hidden Updates (left menu from memory) and then check for updates. You can then re-hide the ones you don't need.

As an aside, the .NET framework updates are somewhat unusual - .NET is optional anyway but unlike most other products, multiple versions can and do coexist, depending on the applications installed that use them. My remaining XP system (SP3 running IE8 with no problems) has .NET 2, 3.5 and 4 installed, for instance. So consequently, you can get different updates applied.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Most stable version of IE for Windows XP
by TheBlackHole / February 4, 2012 3:30 AM PST

IE? Lol, use Firefox.

Collapse -
(NT) But that wasn't the question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 3:32 AM PST
Collapse -
For what it's worth...
by trilldax42 / February 4, 2012 6:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Add New features in Internet Explorer like Firefox
by IEAddons / February 24, 2012 3:37 PM PST

Add New features in Internet Explorer like Firefox
Dear All,
Here is good stable internet explorer utility, I just found on net
it is register in popular downloads site and free spyware certificate
everyone must try it
Download IE Add-Ons 1.0.0 Free Trial - Adds many cool features to Internet Explorer - Softpedia
IE Addons - Download.com

either you can search it on google
with keywords "IE Addons 1.0.0"

Collapse -
Answer
IE 9
by raekwonsteven / February 27, 2012 7:53 PM PST

According to me the most stable is IE8. As all said it also depends on the configuration of your PC as well. Apart from IE there are so many other browsers which you can try.

Collapse -
Re: IE9 - New!
by Big Steve / February 27, 2012 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: IE 9

I've been using Google Chrome for a few months now but I'm somewhat concerned about Google's new privacy policies which they plan to roll out on March 01, 2012 since Google Chrome is my browser now, Google is my homepage and also my primary search engine and I use YouTube a lot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.