Storage forum

General discussion

Most realible DVD writer nowadays?

by 2Stroker / March 7, 2011 4:23 AM PST

I do backups of super-important data to DVD+Rs. I use only highest quality Verbatim or Sony blank media to make sure that data will be still readable even after ten years. I used ASUS DRW-2014 for burning my DVDs but now its gone.

I look for good replacement of my drive. I do some research for most realible DVD burner. Most of reviews recommends Pioneer DVR-112 or DVR-111 as most realible drive, but these drives are no longer sold.

Is there an alternative for these drives that is sold nowadays and produce the same quality (or even better) of burned media?

Thanks for any advice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Most realible DVD writer nowadays?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Most realible DVD writer nowadays?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly none worth noting today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2011 4:29 AM PST

All have fallen to 3 or 5 year design life so while I thought Plextor for a moment it's attack on open source gives me pause.

Figure 50 bucks for a 2 year drive.

Collapse -
Tough one but I like Plextor
by Steven Haninger / March 7, 2011 6:18 AM PST

I can't give you any reliable information about how long you should expect them to last because I've yet to have one fail.

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / March 7, 2011 11:44 PM PST

My thinking is also on Plextor. if you like it wouldn't hurt to buy a 2nd DVD as a spare to use later or even a 3rd one, all boxed and stored away. Sony, and Philips if you can find one are good too. Now, don't ask for some model#, just the brand I can say have worked well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by rgb6 / March 18, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

There are several sites to go to for info on DVD and CD burners and archival media. Here's some: [and read the many comments on this article!] The author explains why DVD+R is better for data. Also be sure to see if you have IDE or SATA because some burners are better for one or the other.

Collapse -
Most realiable DVD writer
by Kanga bill / March 18, 2011 8:40 PM PDT

Sony AD-7260S : High Speed DVD RW Drive (24x) are definitely the most reliable drives available, and they are fast, see;

As far as disks are concerned, if you want really long lasting ones, have a look out for Taiyo Yuden disks, I'm a professional photographer and use these for back-ups and have never had one fail.

Collapse -
My best advice re most reliable...stick to the
by VAPCMD / March 19, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

higher rated big named brand CD-DVD drive like Plextor, Sony, Pioneer, etc.,. Stick with quality optical media and use mainstream software too.

Using cheap drives, non-brand-name drives, cheap/bargain media and no name SW could lead to poor results for the long run.

Re optical drives drives....I use mostly Plextor and like them because they always work for disc writes and reads (in other drives) and they update the drive firmware periodically to address anomalies observed or reported by users. For CD-DVD software, I use Roxio and have always been pleased with it.

Let us know what you decide on on how it works.

Collapse -
For the MOST reliable long-term backups, use m-discs
by ncdave4life / September 5, 2013 7:26 AM PDT

LG's DVD burners can burn M-Discs. (Google 'em!)

Collapse -
Are those made from half a M&M?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

This thread is more than 913 days old.

Collapse -
Archival DVD
by 9661sally / November 6, 2013 5:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.