Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

More than one anti-virus, malware program on computer okay?

by flingwing / February 11, 2009 7:01 PM PST

I have AVG (free) anti-virus, SuperAntiSpyware (free), Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free), and two worm detection programs also downloaded (all but AVG suggested by this forum).

On my computer, the AVG is always active but the other programs must be manually launched. I don't think they are working silently in the background.

Someone told me that to have more than one anti-virus program was counter-productive. He said you may end up with a virus message from one program but the other program might prevent you from cleaning it up.

Is this true, or are there any considerations about having more than one anti-virus type program on your computer? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More than one anti-virus, malware program on computer okay?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More than one anti-virus, malware program on computer okay?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is true, you should have only
by roddy32 / February 11, 2009 9:05 PM PST

one antivirus active but it looks to me like you only have one anyway. AVG is antivirus, the other two are not. They are for spyware, trojans, etc. You failed to mention what the "two worm detection programs also downloaded " were though so without knowing what they are, we don't know for sure.

Collapse -
The worm detector is . . .
by flingwing / February 11, 2009 10:43 PM PST

Avira Rootkit. I had trouble loading two other worm detectors or maybe they were just .exe files that ran by clicking on the file name without placing icons on the desktop or loading into programs. I remember clicking those two after downloading but nothing much seemed to happened. All were suggested by Moderator Marianna S. in this forum.

The trouble started with a virus or worm named "pservermouse.exe". It appeared on my computer's screen when I placed my flash drive in a USB port. This was just after I had returned from a client's office. I'd used their laptop to show them something from my flash drive.

I immediately scanned the flash drive with AVG but nothing showed up. Then I Googled the virus name and search returns showed it was a virus/worm mostly limited to Asia, where I am. Some of the fixes required loading other software and some said to change settings in XP and the registry. That made it seem like a trap.

So I posted here (message "Pservermouse.exe?" - 31 Jan) and Marianna suggested I use those programs. But even before I had downloaded and run them, the "Pservermouse" warning stopped appearing.

However, a week later at that same office, the client's IT guys say they got the Pservermouse warning from my flash drive. But my flash drive had been scanned by all those programs I mentioned and had not indicated any virus/worm presence on my flash drive or the entire desktop computer.

So I politely said I think the problem might be on their laptop. Interestingly, it was a common-used laptop - not assigned to any single user - and my computer seemed clean.

Each time I return home now from that office, I run a malware program (different one each time) to check my flash drive. But I'm still not sure because I never found and cleaned whatever caused the original warning(s) to appear.

That's why I was asking about having multiple AV (and malware) programs on the same computer. Thanks.

Collapse -
You should be OK with what you
by roddy32 / February 11, 2009 10:49 PM PST

have. AVG is active and is for antivirus. SUPERAntiSpyware and MBAM free versions are NOT active and are on demand scanners only plus they are not for antivirus, they flag other types of malware. Avira rootkit is also on demand. You should be OK with no conflicts.

Collapse -
More than one AV
by Phil Crase / February 11, 2009 10:12 PM PST

Not a good idea and for the most part the free downloads can create more issues than they resolve, especially the free anti spyware loads. The AVG freebie works fairly well for the virus side but doesn't give you anti spyware option. There are many trains of thought but I have seen way too many issues over the years and prefer to use something more reliable and functional.

Collapse -
Better Programs?
by flingwing / February 11, 2009 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: More than one AV

Phil, what program(s) would be more reliable and functional? I stopped using Norton years ago because it was such a resource hog. AVG on my previous Win 98SE computer worked well and didn't have such a big footprint. But now I see it has its limits, too.

I was using the AntiSpyware program on my previous computer and it seemed to work okay, so I loaded it on my new XP, Core2 Duo screamer.

What anti-virus programs work better?

Collapse -
Better programs
by IT-Kid / February 12, 2009 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: Better Programs?

you can try ESET Nod 32 Anti-virus Version 2.7 or Version 3. It does not hog computer resources and is active always. I am using it. Its simply marvelous.

ALternatively, you can try Norton Internet Security 2009. It comprises Anti-virus, anti-spam an all. I not yet tried it, but the reviews i got are good.

Collapse -
Anti virus/spyware, etc.
by Phil Crase / February 12, 2009 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Better Programs?

There are several, of course they will cost you. Over the years I have done a lot of experimenting and have concluded that the freebies MAY get you by for a while but sooner or later the hammer will drop. I am using Kaspersky 2009 on a Vista system that is partitioned with WIN7 running on the other side using Kaspersky beta, works very well. on another network, 3 systems (wireless) I have been running Trend Micro pro for 3 years, without incident, works cleanly. Having (over the years) lost operating systems(twice) and a LOT of hair and sleep because of some of the freebies, I gave that up. Yes it does cost me a bit to keep my systems operational but I have considerable tied up in hardware and software and I hate fighting things when I don't have to.

Collapse -
Anti-Virus Software, etc
by Rompin Raider / October 8, 2010 10:55 AM PDT

I agree...currently use KIS 2011 and no issues. There are others that are good but the concept is correct!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.