Laptops forum

General discussion

More than 4GB RAM in a laptop?

by jwolfers / March 19, 2007 11:24 AM PDT

Hi. I'm a bit of a poweruser - mainly for large-scale datasets - and was trying to pack a laptop with as much RAM as possible (ideally 8GB). Looking at the desktop replacements offered by most manufacturers, I only see laptops with up to 4GB RAM. Is there some inherent limit that is doing this, and/or are there ways to pack more RAM onto a laptop? Who sells such a beast?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: More than 4GB RAM in a laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: More than 4GB RAM in a laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
8 GB????
by Cyborganizer / March 19, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

The Dell XPS 710 H2C only goes up to 4 GB of ram.

Collapse -
Only pretty high end...
by StargateFan / March 19, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

Desktop motherboard offer the option of a top memory capacity of 8GB. We haven't gotten there on a laptop yet, the average right now on a laptop is 1GB, 2B is pretty decent. 4GB is amazing. Good Luck

Collapse -
Today, Windows stops at just over 3GB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

You'll have to move to 64 bit Windows to break that limit then you discover the limits fly back into place in the Microsoft applications.

Are you able to run Linux and write your own 64-bit apps?

Collapse -
You can also do this...
by StargateFan / March 19, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

There is a software work around to this added memory conflict. If you purchase a Windows Vista laptop you can increase the memory possibly to 8GB or more. In Windows Vista there is a Operating System Sub-Application called ReadyBoost. If you have a USB flash drive or other Memory Card such as a SD Memory Card (I would recommend a flash drive) that supports ReadyBoost, you can plug this flash drive into the USB port of your laptop and Windows will ask you what would you like to do with this drive.
You select from the options to enable Readyboost. Now what this is going to do is see this flash drive as a part of the computers RAM and it's going to begin allocating Virtual Memory space onto it. Essentially the flash drive becomes part of the computers RAM it's just not part of the actual physical memory module. Using this config I belive you will be able to reach a RAM capacity of 8GB or possibly even more.

Collapse -
4GB of physical+4GB flash drive=8GB...
by whizkid454 / March 20, 2007 5:53 AM PDT

Seems like that works.

Collapse -
Not in 32-bit Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

And again in the Microsoft (and other) applications the limit just reoccurs.

-> To wit. A 32-bit VM can only address a 32-bit VM "space." There are ways around this such as PAE but this has never been seen in a laptop.

Collapse -
More than 4GB RAM on laptop.... Yes 8GB RAM!
by lpuente8 / July 14, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

Dear all: Yes, I've found a laptop with 8GB by asking a Dell customer assistant. If you look for it on Dell's webpage you won't find that spec. But the spec is definitely there on one of their systems. Now, I don't promote Dell, but it'll serve you to know, if you're desperate and need the 8GB, that they only manufacture those for 64Bit Windows Vista Business. I don't know if you need that monster in there, but that's what they've got. Happy

I'm sure other manufacturers must also support such systems. I believe they are necessary for image/data intensive processing. So continue looking for that.

E-mail me if you care to know who I spoke with at Dell. Oh, before I forget... Don't use Dell's chat, they don't know anything and won't answer your question.

Collapse -
What type of Datasets do you use?
by orlbuckeye / July 15, 2008 5:12 AM PDT

Most of our databases are SQL although we do have a few Oracle and the max memory we have is 2 gig.

Collapse -
HP HDX Series!!!
by thehulk1284 / August 24, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

I have a HP HDX16t laptop it shipped with 4gbs of ram but i upgraded to 8 witch is its max load. So ya Im using 64bit vista that's also the reason why im using 8gbs of ram

Collapse -
I just purchased a laptiop
by orlbuckeye / August 25, 2009 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: HP HDX Series!!!

the HP Pavailion DV7-2180 and it camne with 6 gig. The problem with laptops is nearly all laptops come with 2 memory slots and the 4 gig memory modules aren't cheap.

Collapse -
Looking for 8gb ram (4gb x 2) for my HP laptop
by Click-It Photography / November 28, 2009 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: HP HDX Series!!!

I have the same HP HDX16 64bit laptop. I know it is upgradable to 8gb of ram (has 4gb now - 2gb x 2) but I have not been able to find the 4gb cards. Where can I get 2 of them?

Collapse -
If it's supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 10:43 PM PST

Try But this is worth writing. Some "know" and then we have what is supported. Those ideas often clash.

Collapse -
Newegg has Skill 4 gig memory
by orlbuckeye / November 30, 2009 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: If it's supported.

for 139. So your looking at around 280 for 8 gigs. I remember when it cost that much for 4 gig.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.